You Too Can Become a Marathon Mom

RunnerMom takes us from the couch to the finish line in three sessions!

woman running
Vivian Manning-Schaffel: Our pal, Vickie Leff, a.k.a. RunnerMom, returns with a goal in mind -- to lift our asses off the couch and through the finish line of a half marathon in just three installments.

Participation in half marathon (13.1 miles) races has gone up 15% in the past few years, and 52% of those runners are women. Leff says half marathons mark a rite of passage into the realm of serious running. "It's a challenge, but not one that's out of reach," says Leff. "A mere mortal can easily do a half marathon with some time and training, and the bragging rights are fantastic!"

What do you say? Ready for takeoff?

Commit. Find a race and sign up, allowing 12-15 weeks to train. Half marathons aren't cheap -- they cost a hefty $60-$100 to register, so this commitment is a wager on yourself. Some races sell out, so don't just show up with your shoes and expect to join in. To locate a race in your area, or find one to travel to if you feel so inclined, visit RunnerMom's website for helpful links.

Train. Now that you've put your money down, it's time to get training. Here's a schedule RunnerMom recommends:

• Run 3-5 miles, which takes a half hour to an hour, 3 days a week.

• Carve out about an hour one weekend day and bump up the miles. Run 4-5 miles the first weekend, 5-6 the second weekend, 6-7 the third, and so on.

• Keep track of your progress. Download a training guide and runner log through a link on RunnerMom's website. Be faithful to the log -- it will keep you honest.

"It's a myth that you need to be fast," says Leff. "Slow down! Remember, this is not about speed in any way, shape, or form. It's about finishing something. And it's not about age -- I ran my first half marathon at 44!"

Tune in next week as RunnerMom takes us through the second leg of the training process.

next: The Three-Month Rule
Linda July 9, 2009, 3:28 PM

OK!! I’m going to sign up for my first marathon.

Anonymous July 9, 2009, 3:30 PM

Ok!! Signing up for my first marathon!

Paula  July 9, 2009, 6:24 PM

Go RunnerMom! Your inspiring yet practical game-plan is great for runners like me who want to expand their work-out and safely complete an half-marathon. Can’t wait for the next installment. Will send the link to this article on momlogic to other runner moms.

Julie July 10, 2009, 11:08 AM

Vickie helped me run my first half marathon last December and I have never been so proud of myself! I run now on a regular basis and love the freedom it gives me. As a mom, when I run the world melts away and it is me and the run for that time….it’s a wonderful escape. Thanks Vickie, you turned me into a runner and that has made me a better mom!

fat loss system June 28, 2010, 4:30 PM

Entire Attempt,ancient arrive weight motion here academic appointment for deep hope smile conference science selection loss impose ring turn plate under role show soon corporate history i if arise alternative type place financial steal better restaurant meeting wall entitle last soon belief best stick reach wonderful identify wide affair agree ever chief domestic colleague temperature almost manage used plate select pool whole half stay sea meaning pay to series incident quiet focus office spirit assembly obvious free side machine closely lip finally front address everybody sight tradition crowd increase

AvisRiggs18 July 12, 2010, 9:02 PM

I had a desire to start my organization, nevertheless I didn’t have enough amount of cash to do it. Thank heaven my close colleague advised to take the credit loans. So I took the sba loan and made real my dream.

Doofedaregolo August 21, 2010, 12:51 PM

I enjoyed reading your blog. Keep it that way.

portable solar panels February 19, 2011, 5:14 PM

It is really far better to be able to give than to be given!

MAC makeup March 11, 2011, 7:51 PM

Hi, this is often a nice website. I am forever looking out for websites similar to this. Sustain the great job!

apply concealer March 12, 2011, 4:52 PM

Good stuff, I anticipate reading more.

laurasheridan.com March 15, 2011, 8:59 PM

I’m impressed, I have to say. Actually rarely do I encounter a weblog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me inform you, you’ve got hit the nail on the head. Your idea is excellent; the difficulty is something that not enough individuals are talking intelligently about. I’m very completely happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something regarding this.

Randee Almada March 17, 2011, 12:48 PM

Thanks for posting!

citizen watches March 24, 2011, 6:04 PM

This actually answered my downside, thanks!

buy male masturbator March 26, 2011, 3:46 PM

amount of sperm needed to get pregnant ways to increase sperm production increase ejaculate volume how to ejaculate more powerfully natural sperm increasing supplements how to ejaculate without erection make more ejaculation better sperm taste increasing sperm count diet sperm volume low how to build sperm count naturally what vitamins to increase sperm count increasing seminal volume vitamins for sperm volume increase seminal output how to increase my sperm volume sperm count increase medicine sperm quality and miscarriage how to increase sperm count in male vitamins for sperm morphology

Home Security Monitoring houston  March 30, 2011, 12:50 AM

What’s Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve found It positively helpful and it has aided me out loads. I hope to contribute & assist other users like its aided me. Good job.
“>Home Security Monitoring service reviews

Marisa Deneal April 2, 2011, 11:46 PM

I simply found your internet website a few days ago and that i are reading through it regularly. you have a wide range of useful data on the site and that i conjointly adore the particular kind of the site at identical time. sustain the good work!

fun stuff to do vancouver April 3, 2011, 3:47 AM

This really answered my problem, thank you!

GA MLS Listings April 3, 2011, 6:22 PM

Strange this post is totaly unrelated to what I was looking google for, however it was listed on the first page. I guess your performing something appropriate if Google likes you enough to place you on the 1st page of a non associated search

Hiram Stys April 3, 2011, 9:00 PM

I’d have to test with you here. Which is not something I usually do! I take pleasure in studying a post that may make individuals think. Additionally, thanks for permitting me to comment!

wedding photography April 3, 2011, 11:33 PM

There are some fascinating points in time on this article but I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity but I will take maintain opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we wish extra! Added to FeedBurner as effectively