Take the Marriage Test -- Do You Pass?

Marriage shaky? Take this quiz.

couple hugging

Answer yes or no.

1) Does only one of you smoke cigarettes?
2) Is he two years younger than you?
3) Was he younger than 25 when you got together?
4) Does or did only one of you want to have children?
5) Are your finances unstable?
6) Is he nine years older than you are?
7) Have either one of you been married two or three times before?
8) Have either of your parents been separated or divorced?
9) Are you both spiritual?

If you answered yes to 8 out of 9 of the questions and you're still married ... great job!! According to a recent study, you are living the dream. A yes to four or more may indicate marital counseling in the future or maybe just separate bedrooms.

Australian researchers recently presented a paper titled "What's Love Got to Do with It?" They followed almost 2,500 couples who were both married or living together, and compared those who stayed together versus split. Their conclusion was that living happily ever after requires more than just love. Okay, tell me something that I didn't know. Surprisingly, religion, education, and alcohol consumption had no impact on the relationships.

On the one hand, more women need to be aware of the backstory to romance. Instead of just looking at bank accounts, car make and model, or shoe size (a complete myth), it may be helpful to factor in other variables. This is not slamming women today who are educated, making money, and capable of providing for themselves. We are still social beings who need and value loving relationships

So what gives in finding and keeping that special someone? Issues like age difference, smoking habits, parents' relationship, and the desire to either have kids or a joint decision not to have children all influence a marriage by creating potential conflicts.

For example, partners on their second or third marriage are 90 percent more likely to separate than those on their first marriage. I guess some things don't get better with time. If your husband is nine or more years older than you, you are twice as likely to get divorced; the same stat goes for men who get married before the age of 25. They didn't mention how a woman's age affects the marriage.

Who knew?? I met my husband when he was 28 (okay) ... he is six years older than I am (not sure where or how that fits), both of our parents are still together (amazingly) ... but our marriage is still a work in progress. Maybe I should have taken the quiz years ago.

next: F*** Michael Jackson and Facebook!!
ame i. July 16, 2009, 1:39 AM

They left out a question. Is this a crock of shit? Yes,probably!
This is my 2nd marriage. Husband #1 selfishly died of cancer.We had 2 daughters together. Couples who’ve been married for over a dozen years do things like that sometimes.
My parents have been married for 42 years but my current husband’s dad is married to wife #4. Doom?!
Oh, no, we are both spiritual. Trouble coming?
To make matters even worse, he is 8 years older than I & we were both financially stable before we met & married. We’ll sit back and wait for the despair and agony to set in. Heh.

nbeltane July 16, 2009, 2:06 AM

What silly questions..
maybe its the way they are worded i don’t know but here are my answers.

Answer yes or no.

1) Does only one of you smoke cigarettes? no neither of us do.

2) Is he two years younger than you? no a week younger than me

3) Was he younger than 25 when you got together? no 27

4) Does or did only one of you want to have children? yes he wanted 6 (already had two, and now we have one together)

5) Are your finances unstable? yes he has been out of work and just started a new job, so need to get on top of the finances

6) Is he nine years older than you are? no a week, but I already answered that question

7) Have either one of you been married two or three times before? no he has been married once before, this is the first and only time for me.

8) Have either of your parents been separated or divorced? yes my parents are divorced, and have both gone on to remarry other people and have now been married over 13 years. his father is deceased and he is estranged from his mother.

9) Are you both spiritual? yes, that’s what brought us together.

By the way we are going on 9 years of marriage now.

pamela July 16, 2009, 2:19 AM

i got three yes’

Rachelle July 16, 2009, 4:26 AM

The way this was written was a little confusing. I was all happy cause I only had three yes’ and then she says congratulations for 8 out of 9, and counceling for 4 or 5. It makes it sound like the more yes’ the better. I get it now, but it threw me for a loop there, for a minute.

rugbymom July 16, 2009, 9:34 AM

I agree Rachelle. Paragraph # 3 makes absolutely no sense to me: “On the one hand, more women need to be aware of the backstory to romance. ” WTH does that mean? That whole paragraph makes no sense. What is the point? I am sure it was an interesting study but I wish it was communicated more clearly.

I would like to know what materialism & superficiality has to do with educated women? To me that argument is inaccurate and inconsistent. Most educated self-standing women I know are not materialistic nor superficial, (i.e. concerned with “bank accounts, car make and model, or shoe size.”) 2 completely different types of women are referenced here as if they were the same or if it that wasn’t the intent, then it should have been worded differently.

pachaz July 16, 2009, 3:32 PM

I don’t understand this quiz…I answered only 3 of them yes and I have a great marriage (16 years) and we don’t need to see a marriage councelor or sleep in separate beds. I would judge from the questions that the higher numbers of yes should put you in the danger zone not the lower numbers of yes.

Unhappy in NJ September 15, 2009, 2:38 PM

I got all “No’s” … what does that mean??

erotik film sahneleri April 2, 2011, 10:45 PM

This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your great post. Also, I’ve shared your website in my social networks!