MySpace Victim's Mom Seeks Justice

Tina Meier talks to momlogic.

myspace suicide mom tina meier with photos of megan meier

Last week, a federal judge tentatively threw out the convictions of Missouri mom Lori Drew, who had been charged with fraud in connection with a fake MySpace page targeting her 13-year-old neighbor, Megan Meier. Megan Meier later committed suicide.

Megan's mom, Tina Meier, talks to momlogic about this shocking ruling.

momlogic: When did you find out about the judge's decision, and what was your reaction?

Tina Meier: The decision came down on Thursday, July 2nd. I feel aggravation and disappointment. I truly feel that the message the judge is sending out is a bad one. It's stating that if we as individuals use the Internet and don't read the terms of service, we can still make a false profile, harass someone, impersonate someone, and do whatever we want ... and if something happens, we are not held liable because we didn't read the terms of service. This is a horrible message to be sending sexual predators, husbands, wives, exes, and anyone who wants to cause harm or get revenge on someone else. Now, what I am doing with the Megan Meier Foundation is asking anyone who disagrees with the judge's decision to please contact the judge's court clerk and let him know why you disagree. The judge's decision is not 100% until it's in writing. I am not sure when that will be, so I am asking people to write him as soon as possible. The AP did an article right after the decision and they did an online survey asking how many people agreed with the ruling. Over 90,000 people clicked on the survey and over 89% disagreed. These are people who use the Internet. We need to stand up and protect our children. This is one step towards asking the judge to do something positive and set a precedent.

ML: Where will you go from here?

Tina: I am fighting to let the judge know there are people out there who disagree with his ruling. If he doesn't read the letters or listen, then there is nothing more I can do, but we need to get our voices heard. The jury found Lori Drew guilty, but he threw out the decision and now she goes free. Right now, the decision is still tentative until it's in writing, which is again why I am asking people to write the judge as soon as possible.

I can't let this decision stop the course I am on. I am going to continue to get out there. There are two components. The first is legislative. There is a federal bill out there that has been proposed by Congresswoman Linda Sanchez in California. We need a law that will state if you use the Internet to harm or harass someone, you need to be held accountable -- just like when you drink and drive and kill an innocent family on the road, you need to be held responsible. On the federal level, it will cover everyone, and not just go state by state. The second component is to get into the schools and continue to talk and educate the kids, parents, educators, etc. We need kids to understand the effects this has on others, when they get into arguments or harass each other online. I want to show them real life stories of how people have taken their lives when this could have been prevented.

Do you think the judge's decision should be overruled? Comment below.

next: How Much Is Enough?
lost in TX July 6, 2009, 6:23 PM

I’ve been keeping up with this heartbreaking story since I heard about it. I think this women should have some kind of sentencing. I know that the maximum sentence is going to be three years but at least thats something. Right now all this judge is saying is that it was ok. This women is a criminal. As a mother she should know the severity of what she did. She should be made the example.

saa1950 July 6, 2009, 6:53 PM

It is a shame that Tina did not obey the law and let her daughter on facebook. When are the parents going to be responsible for what there children do. Be it facebook or myspace, they have age limitations. What Drew did was wrong, but Meghan and her mother did not follow the agreement for facebook! Are they being prosecuted, yes, her daughter is no longer with us. She knew what her daughter was up to and did not block the computer.

Sarah H. July 6, 2009, 9:26 PM

^ So blame the victim?! Are you serious? Yes, the mom should have been more aware of what her daughter was doing online but that is not CRIMINAL, its a lapse in judgment. What Lori Drew did WAS criminal, and calculated, not to mention disgusting. and I hope she thinks about what she did to that young girl every day for the rest of her life.

pak31 July 6, 2009, 9:41 PM

^Just because Megan was the victim doesn’t mean that people around her were not to blame. She was only, I repeat only 13. It has been revealed that she suffered from depression. She had somewhat of an illegal Myspace account. People have been bullied and bullied bad since the dawn of time. It has always been around and it will continue. Maybe the mother of the other girl should recieve some punishment but I am more upset with Megan’s mother so upset about what happened(which is horrible and I feel for her) but it’s a parent’s responsibility to control their children. This girl was still a child. You can’t blame others for your lack of parental supervision. My feeling on this is HELLO??? We as adults know that many adults and pedophiles etc pose as teens on the internet. Sorry but no way would I allow my daughter to strike up a frienship with a cyber guy. If any guy is interested in my daughter, he needs to come to my front door.

lost in TX July 7, 2009, 12:54 PM

People who blame her mom for letting her have the account should also be aware her mom and dad were the only ones with the password. megan couldnt get on without them. Its not like she did it as she pleased. Whether she should have had the account has nothing to do with the fact that a grown woman maliciously created a fake persona to gain her trust just to humiliate her and that is criminal no matter how you spin it.

heather July 7, 2009, 2:03 PM

All I can say is I am TICKED that this woman is not being held accountable for her actions! What goes around comes around and I hope she is wondering everyday when the shoe is gonna drop. I hope she see’s megans face everynight when she goes to bed sick at the fact that she is to blame.

Jack July 7, 2009, 2:07 PM

Give me a break! We should start jailing people for not following Myspace’s terms of service? I understand the mother is angry and upset but jeesh, maybe you should have seen that your daughter had serious problems if something like this pushed her over the edge.

rick July 7, 2009, 2:07 PM

Didn’t the ‘victim’ take her own life?
I’m sorry, but the day we start blaming people who are still ALIVE for someone else’s suicide is REALLY scary.

nicole July 7, 2009, 2:08 PM

THIS WOMAN SHOULD GO TO JAIL

Judy July 7, 2009, 2:08 PM

My heart goes out to Tina. She mad a very solid point in stating that “people need to be held accountable for their actions; just like those who drink and drive.” My thoughts and prayers go out to her and I pray that the Judge changes his mind regarding this heartbreaking case.

Jan July 7, 2009, 2:09 PM

One can only hope that she will recieve the same harrassment that she dished out

momof2 July 7, 2009, 2:10 PM

As a mother I am outraged that bullying and harassment has gone without a punishment.
It is wrong and I think the judge made a huge error.

Dirk July 7, 2009, 2:11 PM

Fire the judge! What a disgrace!

Karen July 7, 2009, 2:11 PM

Lori Drew is a sick, twisted woman, who played sick twisted teenage girl games with poor Megan. My heart still goes out to Megan’s family.

Larry July 7, 2009, 2:12 PM

I hope that Megan’s mom files a civil suit against Lori Drew

Jake July 7, 2009, 2:14 PM

That Grown women obviously has something wrong with her head. How weird/Mentally twisted must you be to actively fake your age and identity to target your neibors daughter? Thats just insanely weird. The judge of the case obviously has no sense what the word justice means and obviously has no passion to give justice but is there for the cash the job brings. Poor… The women should have got a jail sentence.

txxop July 7, 2009, 2:15 PM

There is only two people that can protect my children- myself and my husband. If there was no My Space account there would be no harrassing possible.
The outcome was horrific and I feel terribly for mostly Megan who thought that was her only option… but again… no My Space account…. no harrassing possible.
She was only 13. Keeping her passwords and still allowing it didn’t protect her from this hurtful act the same way the parents could have by not allowing the account at all.

Ariel  July 7, 2009, 2:15 PM

This is a child here, being one myself I dont believe I would take it so far as to commit suicide but when someone just pushes and pushes you I guess you can only handle so much. I mean the mother maybe just wanted to intimidate this girl but it resulted in her death therefore the mother does need something done ot her. To put the message out to everyone adults and others that its not right. To the mother that was doing it grow up thats something us highschool girls do not an adult. And highschoolers included need to learn the outcomes of things like this. RIP hunny

Nattismom July 7, 2009, 2:15 PM

I’m less concerned about MySpace policies and terms of service and more concerned with the fact that Megan Meier was a CHILD - Lori Drew is an ADULT. Ms. Drew should have known better. She had the ability to think ahead and weigh the possible consequences of her actions. She chose to act anyway - now she has to pay for her choice. Personally, I’d like to see her hung in a closet.

sheila  July 7, 2009, 2:16 PM

THIS COUNTRY SHOULD HOLD PARENTS RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR CHILDRENS ACTIONS PERIOD. BECAUSE WE ARE GIVEN A CHILD TO BRING UP AND IF WE DONT DO IT PROPERLY THEN WE WILL SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES AS THIS WOMAN APPARENTLY HAS HAD TO DO. PEOPLE IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN DO NOT LET THEM ON THE COMPUTER WITHOUT STRICT SUPERVISION EVEN IF IT MEANS STANDING THERE