Nanny Diaries: My Best-Kept Secret

Under normal circumstances, I believe in complete honesty: I tell you everything that goes on throughout the day, the good and bad. If one of your kids uses bad language, or if one exhibits a great kindness to another, you hear about it. But I will never tell you this.

Mother holding baby boy's hands while walking

Mary Poppins: It happened: your baby boy took his first steps. The only problem is that you were not there. For weeks now, you were telling me how excited you were that he was getting ready to walk. He finally had his feet steady and was walking for a longer period of time with only a little support from you.

I didn't mean for it to happen. He was just walking along, holding onto my fingers across the living room. I let go of one hand and then the other, and all of a sudden he was walking. It is not as if he crossed the living room. It was only four steps, but they were his first.

The problem now is that he keeps walking, and I'm worried he is going to walk right up to you and ruin your mommy moment. He falls down and giggles and then gets up to start again. It really is adorable the way he concentrates so much on each step. I just hope that you get to experience this on your own. This is a secret I will take to the grave. For all intents and purposes, he will have walked with you first.

So now I'll just wait for you to get home and pray that he does not come toddling to the door by himself.

Barb July 9, 2009, 9:10 AM

As a working parent, I appreciate your discretion. We we know that we probably miss the “firsts,” but the ones we remember, the ones we put in the baby books, are the ones we see ourselves. And the fact that you understand that is priceless. Keep up the great work!

Just Sayin' July 9, 2009, 11:52 AM

Thanks, that is awesome. It means a lot.

hartleyrg July 9, 2009, 1:53 PM

i’m a nanny and a mom and i am so glad that i actually have managed to miss the first steps of the children i was watching. but i probably would have kept my mouth shut anyway. :)

Anonymous July 9, 2009, 2:44 PM

We were actually interviewing with a home daycare provider last night, and she said that a little guy took his first steps the other night when his parents were interviewing with her. They were all happy to see that happen, but she even said to us that if a big “first” happens while she’s watching the child, she pretends it never happened! Then the parents get to see the “first” for ourselves and remember it! :D

Gail Cooke July 9, 2009, 3:49 PM

I think that’s awesome that you don’t take that away from the parents. What an awesome person you are :)

Happy Nanny July 9, 2009, 7:13 PM

I have been a nanny for over 8 years and have seen many firsts.
I tell the parents~ “I think your little one is just about to: roll-over/pull-up/etc.”

As I want them to think they saw it first-and just to let them know for safety reasons.

Ash July 21, 2009, 9:40 AM

my sitter will not tell the parents if she see’s the first steps and I love it! However my sister in law is not the same. She was watching my daughter for like 2 hours and when i went to pick her up i was greated with “show mom what you can do.” then i got to see her walk. I was happy she could walk but i wish i saw it first. It still makes me sad/mad to think about it! Our kids go to the same sitter so she knows about the sitter not doing it for a reason.