No Crocs Allowed!

It's official ... at least at one store.

Safety warning sign

Momlogic's Julie: When I was at the American Girl Place in Los Angeles Sunday with my daughter, I noticed a sign next to the escalators saying that no Crocs were allowed.

We've published many stories on the dangers of Crocs on escalators, but I've never seen any warning signs until now.

American Girl spokeswoman Julie Parks says: "It really is a precautionary measure. We decided about three years ago now (given a few minor incidences involving escalators and soft shoes -- Crocs being predominant among those) to proactively warn our customers about the dangers of wearing these types of shoes on escalators. Our goal is to make people aware of their footwear before stepping on the escalator and, if appropriate, to take the elevator instead."

Do you let your kids wear Crocs on escalators?

next: Warning: BPA Found in Baby Food Jars
BJacques July 14, 2009, 4:46 PM

If they have the backs in their proper position, I don’t see the problem. Flip flops, on the other hand, are something we never allow our kids to wear.

aurhynn July 14, 2009, 8:54 PM

My daughter has Croc-like shoes, but only wears them for short distances, play, or if it’s a wet area. She wears normal shoes for everything else. I am glad there are signs up. Most people don’t realize how soft shoes can get caught on stuff, not just Crocs.

RachelAZ July 14, 2009, 10:40 PM

Umm, I don’t plan on letting my kids wear crocs ANYWHERE let alone on escalators! They are so dang ugly!

anon July 15, 2009, 1:54 AM

What ever happened to survival of the fittest? Natural selection? Seriously, you don’t know how to USE an escalator? If you get your fricken SHOE caught in an escalator, then wtf are you doing here? Do we REALLY need escalator instructions?? “Be careful! Big metal steps goin down!! Don’t stick your fricken SHOE between the steps, you might get a boo boo!!”

mercaties July 15, 2009, 2:29 AM

I agree with the previous writer. If your using the escalator properly what difference does it make if you have croc’s on our not. I have a two year old whom I hold because he wont stand still but my eight year old knows that she need’s to stand still and not stick her feet between the stairs.

Happened to Us July 16, 2009, 2:43 AM

Last summer, my 6 year old son was wearing crocs on an elevator going down. As he stepped off with one foot (correctly), the croc on the other foot was grabbed by the escalator as the step leveled out - not at the side as often reported. I had to quickly lift him out of his shoe and then really use some muscle to wrench the shoe free. My kids love their crocs and still wear them all summer long, but now we take the stairs!