Pregnant After 50: Why Not!?

In today's world, in vitro fertilization is impregnating women that would not be able to get pregnant otherwise. That includes women over a certain age. But how old is too old?

pregnant old woman

After the Octomom extravaganza, many are urging the government to crack down on fertility clinics and propose new regulation laws. But the debate extends past how many fertilized embryos a woman is allowed to create and implant. More and more women over 50 are using in vitro to get pregnant. One woman, Maria del Carmen Bousada, lied about her age in order to have in vitro and gave birth to twin boys at the age of 66; she recently died of cancer at 69 years old.

As women are having babies later and later, decisions based on age are currently made on a case by case basis. Georgia Dardick could not give up her hope to be a mom, and after several treatments, finally had a baby at 51, despite many judgments from others. Some doctors say it's our views on age that need to change, not fertility laws: "The 40- and 45-year-old of today is not the 40-year-old of the past. They're eating healthy, they are barely halfway through their life. It would be hard to say you shouldn't have a baby," says fertility specialist Dr. John Jain.

But if there are no rules, a woman who is 60 can come in and receive fertility treatments, and as everybody knows, pregnancy can take a toll on a woman's body. Many people believe it is selfish and not fair to a child to have older parents. On the other hand, there are no guarantees in life; one's parent could get sick or die even when they are still young.

Should there be rules on who can get IVF treatment, or should any woman be able to get pregnant at any age?

next: Make a Doll Out of Your Fetus
Gigohead  July 27, 2009, 9:28 AM

Yes, there needs to be rules. I don’t believe late 50’s, 60 and 70 year old women should be doing this as this raises their cancer risks. I am certain there is a correlation between pumping post menopausal women with estrogen and cancer.

That old woman from Spain is a prime example of this. Now others have to raise her 3 year old twins.

anonymous July 27, 2009, 9:50 AM

I don’t agree with any fertility treatments or IVF. I know it has helped friends and family of mine to have children of their own, but there are so many children out there in the foster system that could use a good loving home. I think it’d be in everyone’s best interest to re-evaluate adoptive parent requirements and stop the fertility treatments. If a women can biologically have a child at age 50, why can’t a 45 year old adopt a baby?

anonymous August 7, 2009, 3:46 PM

yes there are many children out there that need good loving homes, but it is not as easy as most people think to adopt a baby. adoption has become BIG BUSINESS in america and overseas. there are many agencies out there that are reputable, but unfortunately many agencies are in it for the money, they say they are non profit, but they are very expensive and some are run by very questionable people. take it from me, i was ripped off for 16k. i did my homework, researched the agency and after going through all the red tape for almost 2 years i did not have a baby and i was out over 16k. after that experience it is very difficult to trust anyone in the ADOPTION INDUSTRY.

Sherry January 29, 2010, 3:58 AM

I think women who want to have children at an older age are selfish and emotionally ill. I know of a women who is 50, smoke tons of pot and cigarettes, and is mentally unstable and wants to have a child. I knew another lady who had multiple IV treatments knowing she had a fatal disease. Fortunately they did not take because she died this past week. My daughter in law had kids just because she liked babies. I could go on and on. I truly believe women who want children after 40 need counseling. Being 58, I know what happens to the body after 50…….

Cady February 4, 2010, 9:33 AM

my grandmother (born in 1890) had my mother when she was in her forties. My great grandmother had five children — one in her forties. I think it happened back then more than we think. And, they were not as fortunate as we are today - with ways and means to be healthy. So, yeah… I think that we are capable of a lot more than the culture wants to let on!

Jessica February 23, 2010, 5:35 PM

I wish people will stop playing God and saying who should have or shouldn’t have a baby.
I would say if woman is healthy and in excellent condition why she cannot have a baby?. Stop saying child will have old parents. There is hundreds and hundreds of children that have no parents at all.
So when we stop judging and being hypocrites????
And children without parents that is mistake of our modern society.

Gretchen April 4, 2011, 11:18 PM

Jessica, thank you. I could not have said it better than that.
There are plenty of children who need loving homes. How about those 30 somethings or 40 somethings adopt vs having biological children?
But, they don’t want to do that. They want their ‘own’ child. So, let others have the same option.