She's Eighteen Years Old ... and Has Four Kids

Daily Mail: It's hard enough being a teenage mother with just one child.

sianrobbins270.jpg
So when 17-year-old Sian Robbins was told she was pregnant with triplets - to add to the little boy she already had - she knew she was in for a tough time.

To make things worse, the babies - Taylor, Tyler and Levi - were born 11 weeks premature and all three boys had to stay in hospital in incubators.

Doctors had warned of complications and during the unplanned pregnancy Miss Robbins, now 18, faced the agonising choice of whether to abort one of the triplets to give the other two a better chance of survival.

But she refused, saying: 'I knew that I faced a higher risk of miscarriage but was determined to give all three of them an equal chance.'

Luckily the gamble paid off and seven weeks after their birth all three have been allowed home.

Levi and Tyler weighed just 2lb 6oz after their birth, while Taylor was slightly heavier at 2lb 14oz.

All three were so tiny they could fit into the palm of their mother's hand, but now they weigh 4lb each, to the delight of Miss Robbins and her boyfriend Callum Thomas, 19.

Mr Thomas said: 'I'm delighted with my boys. Sian went into labour very prematurely and it was very traumatic.

'It was touch and go for a time and the doctors warned me that some of them may not survive. But they pulled through and are now doing really well.

'Taylor initially wasn't very well as he had a heart murmur and an infection, but he's battled through that now.'

The non-identical triplets were due on August 11, but were born on May 28 by emergency Caesarean section.

Miss Robbins added: 'Three is a lot but I'm so pleased we've got all of them. It does mean a lot of work though - we get through 24 nappies, 18 bottles of milk and five loads of washing every day.'

Miss Robbins was 15 and still at school when she discovered she was expecting her eldest son Jaden, now two, but after the birth in November 2006 she returned to her studies and got four GCSEs before leaving to become a full-time mother.

She split up with Jaden's father soon after the birth, before meeting Mr Thomas.

'We are definitely not having any more,' said Mr Thomas. 'The boys are sleeping and feeding very well but three babies and a two-year-old is enough of a handful. 'I haven't got a job at the moment as I want to stay at home and look after Sian and the kids but I will be looking for a job soon.'

Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.

next: Frank McCourt, Author of 'Angela's Ashes,' Dies at 78
smoore July 20, 2009, 11:16 AM

tripo-mom

Coral July 20, 2009, 11:56 AM

Surprise, surprise… under age pregnancies, two different baby daddy’s, no jobs AND on welfare.

Just hope these parents don’t snap on the kids because their childhood was “taken” from them. Can see it now. People should grow up and experience life before they have kids. Poor boys. I will pray for them.

chris July 20, 2009, 12:21 PM

The girl down the street from me was just like this girl. She had her first baby at 15, the second at 17 and twins at 18. All of the kids had different dads. She gave the twins up for adoption and had her tubes tied at delivery. Her mom was doing most of the child rearing with the 2 other kids and told her that she couldn’t handle two more babies. Very sad but I think the adoption was the best thing for her to do. This girl here is too young to tie her tubes but I hope they BOTH will use protection from here out. And I hope that they will continue their education so that they can support their family and not rely on assistance from the government. That part of it makes me madder than any other part of the story. If you can’t afford to raise your children then you should not have them. Again - BIRTH CONTROL!!!

Chris July 20, 2009, 3:43 PM

I have mixed emotions on this. I feel that teen pregnancy is too normal now. I was 25 before I had my first child. His father and I rushed, only looking toward the family we wanted and not what we knew of each other. I finally found who I believed to be the love of my life a few years later. We were engaged, and I became pregnant with my twins. After they were born, I discovered that my fiance and his family had lied to me about everything. He had a criminal history that was over 30 pages long. He beat me pretty bad and I had him arrested. He left us with nothing, and we are now struggling on welfare. With the economy how it is, I have had a hard time finding a job, so I decided to study online. My point is, it is hard to live with the stigma of having two different fathers for my children, and being on welfare. Some people give us all a bad name, when some of us just were niave.

Jenny July 20, 2009, 4:25 PM

Im sorry but this story is not touching or heartwarming to me. The girl already had one child why not use your head and some protection? I think being a good mom means you think about the children you already have and can’t afford before adding more to the household. Im not advocating abortion but certainly adoption. How can an 18 year unmarried girl give those kids a good life?

smt July 20, 2009, 7:18 PM

Wow, another person not knowing how to use birth control. it is really easy go to planned parenthood and they will give you a year supply. I thought you would learn on the first pg. You are suppose to go to college after high school and then work not have babies. Oh and for the father get a job she will be fine with the kids. Woman are strong and we can do everything when we are pg, and turn into moms.

Over it July 21, 2009, 8:19 AM

Ladies, sex does not validate you. It does not mean you are pretty or smart. It means you crave self-esteem and love from anyone who will give it to you. And now we (the rest of the working world) get to help pay for your ridiculous selfishness.

And…what lesson is this teaching your soon-to-be-teenagers.

Tony July 28, 2009, 6:36 AM

A example on how stupid many women are. Nature programs them to be mommys. There to stupid to think about what there giving up having a mistake
( Baby ) or should I say a litter like this broad.
After any woman has two babies max they should be spaded before they leave the hospital. And that goes for any man who fathers more than two babies.
The father of these mistakes will be out making more babies with other women.
And the tax payers will be paying the bill..

Vickie Couturier July 28, 2009, 7:17 AM

It makes me so angry!If we quit paying these kids to have babies ,an they had to support them,themselves it would stop! She sounds proud of the fact she gets to stay home an “mother” her children,while getting funds from the state,time to put a STOP to a free ride,if you can afford to have them an support them without fund from the state or government,I feel have as many as you please,but if its coming out of my tax dollars then NO!

Jeannie July 28, 2009, 7:36 AM

Tony,
Are you kidding me? No woman should have more than two kids and should be “spayed” before leaving the hospital? Clearly your mom didn’t use enough birth control.

I agree, this story is more horrifying than heartwarming, but you’re a little horrifying yourself.

And by the way, “there” means to go from here to there; “they’re” is the contraction “they are”; and THEIR is the possessive spelling of the word you’re looking for.

If you want to be taken seriously online, you may want to learn how to spell. Even then, judging from your above comment, it would be a stretch.

Kim July 28, 2009, 8:30 AM

Jeannie, you said it well about the article and little Tony. Some people need to grow up before they post comments!

Cheryl July 28, 2009, 8:40 AM

Wow, we all have too many kids that aren’t our own we’re paying for. Stop the maddness!

Anon July 28, 2009, 10:18 AM

This is the quote that gets me “The family lives on benefits in a two-bedroom council house in Portsmouth but they are hoping to be given a bigger house, although they are adamant there will be no more babies.” My lanta, WE are paying for this girl’s housing, food and babies. Hoping they are ‘given’ a bigger house?

anon July 28, 2009, 10:43 AM

Jesus! Stop welfare. This girl - not a woman - is selfish and unrealistic. She wants a bigger house to be given to her just because she had more kids that she cannot afford? Hell, no. Live in a one room shack in squalor. People care about the kids, bull. If you cared about the kids you’d take them away from people that cannot afford them. We’ve got to stop supporting other people’s lives and choices. I’d rather support an orphanage than someone all these families that aren’t paying for their families by themselves. Pay an institution then when you want your children back if they haven’t been adopted you pay back the cost of the orphanage and medical care. Just like an impound lot. Grow up people and quit being suckered by other people’s stupidity.

Deb July 28, 2009, 1:42 PM

I can not believe the comment the Dad made about wanting to stay home to look after the Mom&Kids so he will be looking for a job soon! What?!?!?! I did not know that I had a choice to stay home and look after My Kids&Spouse and look for a job later on when I felt like it! Please,this kid needs to grow up and open his eyes so reality can set in! you have 3 kids support them,I have my own to support I don’t want to be supporting your so you can sit at home and look after your GIRLFRIEND NOT your WIFE! If she needs you to look after her and the Kids send her to look for a job instead,then YOU CAN LOOK after them!

Kathy  July 28, 2009, 6:45 PM

Great, another reality show in the works so that all those other teens can watch and think about how they can get in on these shows. I wish the best for the babies. The comments made by the parents are exactly what a kid would say. Kid being the key word.

Angel on Fire July 29, 2009, 2:01 PM

You know folks maybe you should try to look at it from the other side before you start to fuss and fume at people. Personally I have 2 girls and am pregnant with a third. This “birth control” you guys are lauding- it gave me my 2nd child! I was on the shot and using condoms! I still got pregnant. Yes; at the time I did have a job, but I lost it before I ever found out I was pregnant. I ended up hurt on the job and was “Laid-off” to never be re-hired.
I tried to get other jobs since then, but nobody wants to hire someone that is disabled to the point where they can’t stay in one position for very long at all. I had messed up both knees by the age of 21 and my back. Messed up my memory (and the back)thanks to too many car accidents. NO I was never the driver, I was in the passenger seat, and it was usually a CHURCH van that got hit. Yes, I wore the stupid seat belts too. Basically I am saying that yes, kids do NEED to be careful- they shouldn’t even be having sex before marriage, (But didn’t most of us?) much less multiple partners. But a lot of kids don’t get the role models that we or our parents had. They go by what they see on TV and how their parents act. So think about how they were raised before you start to spout off about them. Then think about what might have happened to make that happen.

Vickie Couturier August 4, 2009, 6:22 PM

My point in the whole thing would be this,IF you are able to make a baby,then YOU pay for it!!One might be a mistake but 2,3,etc,is not a mistake its a choice,I had a tubal when I had all the children I could afford,hello,its free if you are being supported by the state,but they are not wanting to stop they want the per child check they get each month an all the other fringe benefits of being paid by the state an us to stay home an have babies!

Tammy August 18, 2009, 4:47 PM

Okay, I have to agree with “Angel on Fire”! You all are being way to judgmental. Who or what gave you the right? I am sorry, but lest YOU have NEVER sinned NOR made a mistake, you have NO right to judge!!! My sister was a pill baby, as was her daughter, as was more than one of my Grandmother’s children. Birth Control is NOT 100% effective. In my mind, if god blessed you with a pregnancy then he wanted you to have the child for one reason or another. If god did want this girl or for that matter ANY of us to have a child she/we wouldn’t have gotten pregnant in the first place no matter what. Now, on to a more irritating issue. WHY are you all attacking the girl? The guy took part in this too! He is just as responsible as she is! I get so aggravated with the double standard of people in today’s world! So many are quick to judge girls for having sex and getting pregnant, yet no one judges the guys that are having sex with these girls and getting them pregnant. If it weren’t for the guys the girls wouldn’t be getting pregnant. RIGHT? Another thing, I live in a small town that is surrounded by other small towns. You would NOT believe the things I see and hear around here. There are kids ages 3-6 running the streets as late as midnight by themselves. These are kids with parents in their 30’s and 40’s. My point here is that a lot of parents today no matter what their age is just don’t take the time and effort to teach their children. It’s easier to just let their 3 yr. old run the streets than it is to fight with them. So what happens? That 3 yr. old is going to grow up thinking that there are no rules. They will have NO morals because they aren’t being taught morals. Maybe this girl is one of those who was basically left to the wolves to fend for herself. Just stop judging, for you don’t know all the facts. Also, just for your information, yes the state will pay for a tubal but not until you have 3 or more children unless you are OVER a certain age. Some states say 21, some say 24, some say 30. Every state is different, but they do have an age/minimum child restriction to get a tubal. I know I wanted a tubal at 18 after I had ONE child because I only wanted one but the state I lived in said I had to wait til I was 24 after having 3 kids. I vowed to get the tubal on my 24th birthday unless I was pregnant. Eight weeks before I turned 24 I found out I was 8 weeks pregnant. Mind you that 3 doctors said I couldn’t get pregnant because I was NOT having my cycles and hadn’t had them since the birth of my first child. Guess what, miracle of all miracles I got pregnant when medically speaking I shouldn’t have been able to get pregnant. Go figure. GOD had a hand in that pregnancy, I am 100% convinced! There is a reason for everything so quit judging!!!

lauren September 18, 2009, 2:54 AM

who are we to say what is horrifying or heartwarming

so she is a young mum, there are parents out there who abuse their children in which they are meant to protect - so are they better than they are for having four children.

live isn’t always fair but you have to deal the hand u are dealt with. As long as they love and care for those children that is the main thing

i have a 3yr old and twins who are 10 month. It will be hard yes but she will have tough days but she is blessed three times over

good luck