Teacher Apologizes for 'Marrying' Fourth Grader

Fox News: A fourth-grade teacher in Falmouth, Maine, has apologized for playing the groom in a mock wedding to a student.

childbride270.jpg
The Portland Press Herald reports that Paul Rosenblum agreed to participate after the girl proposed and his class at the Plummer-Motz School cajoled him.

At the brief playground ceremony, Rosenblum wore a black graduation gown and a clown tie. The girl had a sheet draped around her clothes for a gown. There was no kiss.

The school later received several phone calls about it.

Rosenblum says he was only intending to indulge "a little girl's game of dress-up and make-believe." He called it a lapse in judgment and says he is remorseful and "sick with regret."

Superintendent Barbara Powers wouldn't say whether any disciplinary action was taken.

Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.

next: Sperm and Egg Donors Increase During Recession
Just Sayin' July 8, 2009, 12:03 PM

This should be a non-issue. That poor teacher…there was nothing ‘going on’ and he has nothing to apologize for. No one was harassed or injured or maimed because of this. No one should need counseling or medication to get over this except whoever it is calling the school to complain. Get over yourselves people!

Beth July 8, 2009, 12:32 PM

Um. Seriously?

Aren’t we overreacting just a little bit?

Matthew July 8, 2009, 12:33 PM

Wow. People get bent out of shape over very little these days. Poor guy. Clearly this was nothing more than a nice teacher playing with the kids.

Mae July 8, 2009, 12:43 PM

Teaching sure is a thankless job, due to today’s neurotic parents.

Bobbie  July 8, 2009, 1:05 PM

You have got to be kidding! Why is everything turned in to a big deal? No wonder the kids today have no imagination, it gets stifled.

monica July 8, 2009, 1:10 PM

Yet another reason why I am trying to get out of teaching. There are a lot of great parents, but those few that aren’t make the job very difficult

Anonymous July 8, 2009, 1:16 PM

WOW!THIS POOR TEACHER WAS JUST TRYING TO BE A FRIEND TO A STUDENT AND THIS IS THE THANKS HE GETS.. THESE PARENTS SHOULD BE THANKFUL THEY DONT HAVE TO PAY FOR CHILD CARE…

Reenie July 8, 2009, 1:22 PM

They are really bothered by a mock wedding? Seriously? With all the other issues that go on in a school, having a teacher take the time to have some fun with his students in a mock wedding is ridiculous! Come on people…let’s work on the real issues like bullying,shall we?

Tiffany July 8, 2009, 2:00 PM

Can’t people have a little imagination?! He actually sounds like a FUN & creative teacher! He allowed her to fulfill an act of PLAY that was completely INNOCENT! Aren’t we taught to play house, teacher, etc. from the time we are kids?? Now if he decided to play doctor….then that would be something to worry about! C’mon people!!

Steven July 8, 2009, 2:25 PM

Someone needs a hobby if they have a need to call on a teacher interacting with the children of their class. This is the kind of behavior that inhibits social behavior for all of us.

Stephanie July 8, 2009, 2:51 PM

Aww.. That’s the reason I changed majors. They’re kids and he sounds like an awesome and sweet teacher for taking part (and, hell, even ALLOWING) imaginative play time. I seriously doubt if there was anything ‘going on,’ hed involve the entire class! I really hope that he isn’t punished for this. Maybe letters to the school board are in order? Regardless, I will be sending one.

bob July 8, 2009, 3:03 PM

wow

Holly July 8, 2009, 3:21 PM

I get notices from the county that child molesters are living the street over from me. They’re walking the streets, but, a teacher who did nothing more than indulge a little girls fantasy is being ostrasized. Let us get the stick from out of our butts, shall we? She is a 4th grader! Her crush will be the boy that sits in the back of the bus by next week , I’m sure.

Joshlynn July 8, 2009, 3:34 PM

Give me a break. I thought it was kinda cute.

SaraSays July 8, 2009, 3:46 PM

aww, sooo sweet. I don’t see anything wrong with this I think its absolutely ADORABLE.

Rebecca July 8, 2009, 3:59 PM

More than likely, Its a protest with the hope of financial reward. Never mind the lives at stake, such as the child and the teachers. We live in bizarre times……

Softnmilky July 8, 2009, 4:08 PM

I think that we have bigger issues going onin school such as drugs, gangs,bullying,sex and parents mad at the land of make believe. I guess this explains why people coud not relate to MJ. Makes one wonder what kind of childhood could these parents could have had?

Shari312 July 8, 2009, 5:14 PM

What has become of our society!!??? Soon, no one will want to be a teacher… too many critics and people who want to crucify them.

Amber Rae July 8, 2009, 5:55 PM

I remember in the 4th grade I had a big crush on my teacher, because I just knew he was a great man and friend. I kissed him on the cheek during class, he looked at me and told me how he very much enjoys our friendship but how it was not appropriate because he is my teacher. I was soooo embarrassed! Now, I’m 21 and still keep in contact with him. We have never had another inappropriate occurance since! He is a great friend! Much Respect to you Mr. Moore!

Jennifer bortman July 8, 2009, 6:09 PM

that is sick why would he mock marry a little girl in school, she should have played dress up at home where was the principal? where was the parents?