Teacher Apologizes for 'Marrying' Fourth Grader

Fox News: A fourth-grade teacher in Falmouth, Maine, has apologized for playing the groom in a mock wedding to a student.

childbride270.jpg
The Portland Press Herald reports that Paul Rosenblum agreed to participate after the girl proposed and his class at the Plummer-Motz School cajoled him.

At the brief playground ceremony, Rosenblum wore a black graduation gown and a clown tie. The girl had a sheet draped around her clothes for a gown. There was no kiss.

The school later received several phone calls about it.

Rosenblum says he was only intending to indulge "a little girl's game of dress-up and make-believe." He called it a lapse in judgment and says he is remorseful and "sick with regret."

Superintendent Barbara Powers wouldn't say whether any disciplinary action was taken.

Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.

next: Sperm and Egg Donors Increase During Recession
gina July 8, 2009, 7:16 PM

jennifer…you are the sick one

Polly July 8, 2009, 7:39 PM

Out of 21 comments, only 1 thought that the teacher was in the wrong. What is wrong with people???? Where and when did all common sense go out the door? “Make believe” was all that was going on and some people have to make it into a major deal. I am soooo glad that I am 65 yrs old and don’t have to deal with people like Jennifer. I am afraid that I would “blow a gasket”. Let kids be kids!!! Quit analyzing EVERYTHING

Mom2many July 8, 2009, 8:12 PM

I wonder if this child’s parents had a problem or if it was other parents. And if it was her parents, am I the only one waiting for the announcement of a lawsuit? People are sick these days, when I was growing up this kind of participation by a teacher was common place. Today’s society our children lack quality education b/c teacher’s feel the need to keep their distance in order to protect themselves. Everyone waits for a reason to sue their neighbor, our kids can’t be out alone and our teachers are no longer allowed to connect with our children. The apology should be to this teacher, he is the one that has had his reputation scarred by this. Come on,,, he was wearing a clown tie! I remember dancing the twist w/my principle in the 7th grade, was that wrong? This is just sad, where sad isn’t needed. We don’t have to look far to find where it IS needed.

mom2boys July 8, 2009, 9:23 PM

This is stupid. This poor man. I feel sorry for him and the little girl. I would like to know if her parents were upset or if other parents were upset.

MEME July 8, 2009, 9:28 PM

FROM ONE TEACHER TO ANOTHER, THIS IS WHY I DON’T EVEN SOCIALIZE WITH MY STUDENTS BECAUSE OF CRAZY STUFF LIKE THIS. OUR JOB IS SOOOOOOOOOO HARD. TEACHERS ARE CONSTANTLY UNDER A MICROSCOPE. I THINK THIS WAS JUST SOMETHING THAT HAS BECOME WAY TO BIG. LEAVE THE MAN ALONE!

Denise July 8, 2009, 10:45 PM

Jennifer Bortman is one of those parents who has nothing better to do than sit around finding fault with everyone and everything, except herself and her beliefs. So Jennifer tell us, we know that you feel that a teacher helping a student have an imagination is “sick” let me know what good deed you have done today. Did you help at a homeless shelter, check in on an elderly neighbor, say a kind word the the cashier at the grocery store? No, I change my mind I already know the answer, yet the teacher is the sick one.
Denise Wartes

Naomi July 8, 2009, 11:28 PM

I think it’s sweet that this teacher joined in with his students’ game of make believe! He cared enough to go along with the way they wanted to play. He didn’t kiss her or touch her inappropriately, so whats the big deal? And I guessing that the students who told their parents probably didn’t see anything wrong with the pretend wedding, but instead were happy that their teacher interacted with them on their imaginative level.

NavyMom July 9, 2009, 12:55 AM

There is Absolutely nothing wrong with this. People have to turn something innocent into something disgusting. It’s very sad. When I was in 4th grade there was nothing wrong with our teachers giving us a pat on the back, a hug cuz we were having a bad day, but now you can’t even touch the child without being accused of something disgusting…what is wrong with our society?

This teacher has NOTHING to apologize for. He sounds like an awesome teacher and it’s what our children need now more than EVER!!!

gloria January 19, 2010, 4:52 PM

I think people over reacted AGAIN! When will this country learn. Glad I have my passport in case the crazies get even loonier.

Anonymous March 19, 2010, 10:04 PM

I thought the idea was adorable. When I was a kid no one would have seen nothing wrong with this… Doesn’t the school have more important issues to deal with?

cheapviagra1935 August 30, 2010, 11:22 AM