twitter facebook stumble upon rss

Teen Dies After Drinking Poppy Pod Tea

sign up for the momlogic newsletter Tweet This
Denver Channel: A 19-year-old Boulder man died Tuesday morning, hours after he and his older brother drank poppy pod tea.

The coroner performed an autopsy on Jeffrey Joseph Bohan Tuesday afternoon but the cause of his death is pending laboratory testing.

Bohan's is the second poppy tea-related death in Boulder in just five months, Boulder police spokeswoman Sarah Huntley said.

Bohan and his older brother drank poppy pod tea around midnight, Huntley said. The two then went to a house on Hanover Avenue and 43rd Street to visit friends and fell asleep there around 4 a.m.

A couple of hours later, Bohans' older brother woke up and discovered that his brother wasn't breathing. He called 911. Paramedics pronounced Bohan dead at the scene. Police wanted to remind the public that ingesting poppy tea, either from the seeds or pods, can be fatal.

On Feb. 22, Alex McGuiggan, 20, died in his home from a morphine overdose. The coroner's office later determined that he had ingested fatal quantities of opium from poppy tea that had been brewed at his home.

Poppy pods can be purchased over the Internet, but they are not necessarily safe and in some cases, can be fatal, police said. Depending on how they are used, they may also be illegal.

No arrests have been made, and the investigation is continuing, Huntley said.

Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.

next: Twilight Fashion!
10 comments so far | Post a comment now
Shawna July 24, 2009, 1:04 PM

This is so crazy! My co-worker keeps recommending that I try poppy pod tea and I said don’t poppy seeds come up as meth in your system if taking a drug test…such a tragedy

Shawna July 24, 2009, 1:05 PM

This is so crazy! My co-worker keeps recommending that I try poppy pod tea and I said don’t poppy seeds come up as meth in your system if taking a drug test…such a tragedy

Amber July 24, 2009, 3:23 PM

It doesn’t come up as meth, it comes up as an opiate. Poppies is where alot of pain killers come from and they are very addictive.

Sara July 24, 2009, 3:24 PM

I’ve never even heard of the stuff.

uncle sam July 24, 2009, 10:47 PM

Just two more unneccessary deaths due to the war on drugs. If Cannabis was just legal nothing else, then people wouldn’t be trying crazy things to get a buzz on.

Cannabis is non-toxic, and non-addictive, it can be used to stop the use of harder harmful drugs like tobbaco and alcohol and poppy tea

Joan July 25, 2009, 6:27 AM

This is tragic. I wish kids would educate themselves on how to use sacred substances before trying them. I wish our nations would allow all people to know the truth about substances. And, I wish so many millions of people around the world wouldn’t die because of substances, including cigarettes and alcohol which are the biggest killer drugs around.

Chris G. July 29, 2009, 10:44 PM

I drank some poppy tea today. I used three pods and had a mellow, relaxed and social day.

Moderation is the key.

It was my first time trying and I researched for weeks before I did it.

Even too much H20 can kill you if you drink too much.

Deborah Thompson February 18, 2010, 11:08 AM

My son, David Greenwood, also died from tea he made from poppy pods he purchased on ebay. David died 11/10/08. He was 24 years old. Tea made from poppies is NOT safe.

tony March 3, 2010, 7:05 PM

Education and moderation are the key to using these substances,it is mostly only in the western world do these things happen,too many people think they need some one else or some law to think for them,don’t condemn what you don’t understand this is how our precious freedoms get taken away,everything is poisonous if to much is consumed,think people think

fizywelko January 20, 2011, 4:10 AM

Real corking translate for me, Must have that you are one of the uncomparable bloggers I ever saw.Thanks for placard this illustrative article
love poems

Back to top >>