The Pros and Cons of Procreating after 65

From sharing diapers with your kid to playing T-ball from the non-swiveling seat of a Lark scooter, we've compiled a list of some of the benefits and drawbacks of knocking yourself up after age 65.

your tango logo

Kristen Meinzer: Elizabeth Adeney, a 66-year-old divorced businesswoman, gave birth via C-section to a baby boy in May, making her the oldest woman to give birth in U.K. history. She beats out the previous record-holder by four years.

Elizabeth Adeney

According to the Daily Mail Online, Adeney's do-it-yourself pregnancy was most likely aided by a fertility clinic in the Ukraine that she visited last year. British clinics, for the most part, will not provide reproductive assistance to women over the age of 50.

A friend of Adeney's tells the Mail, "She was desperate for a child. She was over the moon when she learned last year that she was pregnant and has been quite open about it -- it's not the sort of thing she can hide."

Unlike her friend, Adeney is less willing to talk to the press, knowing, perhaps, that her decision confuses and angers a lot of people.

But is Adeney's decision really such a bad one? Aren't there pros and cons that come with every life choice? We're pretty sure there are.

And so, with Elizabeth Adeney in mind, we've compiled a list of some of the benefits and drawbacks of knocking yourself up after age 65.

The Pros

1. You can finally be a member of a legitimate old boys' club: the one made up of guys who've fathered children after age 65. Other members include Charlie Chaplin, Anthony Quinn, and Tony Randall.

2. Kiss those worries about passing on your potentially damaged old lady genetic material goodbye, as the baby you'll be having will most likely be built out of another not-so-old lady's potentially damaged genetic material.

3. Now, more than ever, you can build up a college fund the easy way: through Social Security checks.

4. A person knows a lot by age 65. A lot that can be shared with a kid. Like which pharmacies carry generic equivalents and how to play sudoku.

5. At last: the chance to share diapers with your kids.

The Cons

1. You may very well be dead by the time your kid is old enough to graduate from high school.

2. If you aren't dead, you might be senile, in which case your kid will have to spend his or her youth taking care of you and/or reminding you of how the two of you are related.

3. T-ball and soccer are much harder to play from the non-swiveling seat of a Lark scooter.

4. Nobody at Bingo cares about your baby's teething.

5. You thought dating after 65 was hard? Try dating after 65 with a two-year-old in the house.

next: Social Security Numbers Can Be Guessed
Kristen July 7, 2009, 7:03 AM

This article made me laugh:) All of it is true. I think this women is extremely selfish for having a baby at 65, why not become a mentor or adopt a teenager who needs a loving home. This is ridiculous.

Anonymous July 7, 2009, 9:41 AM

My “selfish” cousin decided to adopt a baby at fifty years old. The girl is now a teenager and is dealing with watching her mother dying in the hospital from cancer. Yes cancer can hit any age but it hits senior citizens more and my cousin IS a senior citizen. Her poor daughter is now left orphaned twice, first by her biological mom and now by the adoptive mom. Unless a woman spontaniously, accidentally gets pregnant at that age, I feel it’s very selfish to put the children in such a position to have to deal with elderly issues at such a young age.

Gigohead July 7, 2009, 10:02 AM

Only a moron like Elizabeth Adeney would give birth to a child at 66 years old. I do understand that most grandmothers are faced with raising the grandkids such in the case of Katherine Jackson at 80 years old. I do applaud grandmothers who have to do it, but to purposely get pregnant is downright stupid.

Fashion Trends October 12, 2010, 2:09 PM

I enjoy this web page and will be coming back again.

Merchant Account December 24, 2010, 11:51 PM

I appreciate this site and will probably be coming back once again.

bay window treatments January 22, 2011, 3:15 PM

I have been browsing the internet researching site themes, when I ran across your site. I like your design, did you buy or alter this layout? I have a website also and my layout seems to be kinda substandard as a result visitors don’t visit on my web site very long.

Jin Konyn January 24, 2011, 5:43 AM

that’s what i’ve been attempting to say all this time

Treasa Lenox March 12, 2011, 10:43 AM

Sup homie read a couple of your other posts and wanted to know if you might be up for exchanging links Thanks again for taking the time to put this up.

Hans Mcclatcher March 15, 2011, 8:18 PM

Surfing the web, I found this webblog. I was researching for several ideas for a layout for my own website. I like your design, did you produce or alter this theme? I got a website too and my template is kinda awful so people don’t visit on my website very long.