Dad Offers $500 to Make His Kids Cry

A dad put an ad on Craigslist looking for someone to "lose" the family dog. Yes, really.

Girl Crying

When we saw this ad, we almost couldn't believe our eyes:

My deceased aunt gave my two kids a Cocker Spaniel a few months back. The dog has been a terror and become overwhelming for me. I am a single father raising two young children. I cannot face telling the kids that the dog must go.

You play the villain.

I have found a good home for the dog, and just need someone to transport the dog, and play the villain.

Premise: You will be the dog walker hired by daddy (me) to walk Skittles. I will introduce you to the kids, and you will tell them you are going to help Skittles get her exercise when Daddy is too busy to walk her. At that point you will walk Skittles to your car and take her to her new family 20 minutes from my place. Then return holding just a leash. The story will be that Skittles broke free of the leash and took off. At this point prepare for crying, things being thrown at you, and possibly cursing. My kids are young and dramatic, their [sic] girls.

$500 in 2 hours!

Pay will be $500. The job will take roughly 2 hours at best.

This job is ideal for an actor looking to diversify their role base, or someone who genuinely likes to make children cry. Acting experience is a plus, but not necessary. Please inform me of any prior experience in this kind of situation.

What do you think of this dad? Comment below!

next: 2009 Teen Choice Awards
ashley August 10, 2009, 2:59 PM

I’m sorry but I think it’s kind of funny.

Charles August 10, 2009, 3:33 PM

The best thing the dad can do is start a proper relationship with his children by being honest to them.

Just Sayin' August 10, 2009, 4:10 PM

I think that’s a good plan. Sounds like they are too young to deal with dad getting rid of the dog so his scenario is actually the best and they’ll get over it. I side with the dad on this one.
Sometimes our dogs would ‘run off’ and we’d be sad about it…until the time our dad accidentally let the dog go on our bus route and we saw it and told him where it was and made him go get it! :)

loppy August 10, 2009, 5:37 PM

i think it’s bloody hilarious…as a mother of two young ones myself, I give all the credit to this single father - it’s not easy. you gotta do what you gotta do!

Holly August 10, 2009, 7:11 PM

I will do it I need the money how can I apply?

abbi August 10, 2009, 8:13 PM

kids gotta learn sooner or later that life isn’t all about them and their “skittles”.
if it’s making the rest of the world miserable, especially the bill payer - puppys’ gotta go.

sign me up, i’m down to give those kids a slice of real life.

Glenn August 10, 2009, 11:07 PM

Dude needs to get some b@11$ and get rid of the dog himself.

His kids are going to have some serious problems later in life if he proves to be a father who can’t even get rid of the family dog. He is showing an inability to be a father who can face up to the unpleasant aspects of fathering and though this incident may not prove to be fatal in his daughters’ development, there are many many future unpleasant tasks that he won’t be able to face that will scar his daughters.

Anonymous August 11, 2009, 1:37 AM

hahahahahha

Susan August 11, 2009, 8:45 AM

Hey, normally you were never find me on the side of a man in any situation but I gotta give the guy credit! Who wants to be the one getting rid of the beloved dog??? Not me! I’m sorry the kids gotta lost the dog and yeah, the dad will get a little blame but hey, I think he’s got enough on his plate!

Renee August 11, 2009, 10:19 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAAA!

laughingal August 11, 2009, 10:50 AM

LMAO, go dad go..

Ileana August 11, 2009, 1:43 PM

Honestly is the best policy but I got to give him credit for being creative.

Natasha  August 11, 2009, 4:44 PM

What a jerk! If the guy doesn’t even have the balls to explain their kids why the dog’s gotta go, what the hell is he doing fathering them anyway?!

Gail Cooke August 11, 2009, 5:02 PM

While I understand that being honest to the kids is important, sometimes things just need to be easy…I would totally do it for him. As long as he’s found a good home for the dog. Sounds like this guy needs a break.

Anonymous August 11, 2009, 6:01 PM

I dont blame him , He loves his kids and doesnt want to be the bad guy giving their dog away . So what ?! That doesnt make him a bad father at all ! Doesnt mean like some of you say that he cant handle anything. It means his little girls will blame him Forever if they knew he is the one who was responsible for their dog they love is taken away.
some of you people are ridiculous ! Give the man some credit for not wanting to be the bad guy and being creative. Only thing I see is he should have worded things a little different. Instead of saying anyone wanna make my kids cry he could have said help me not be the bad guy. Only thing I c wrong.

Ladybird August 11, 2009, 7:49 PM

Rather than being dishonest and irresponsible - why not use the $500 for some decent training for the dog?
That way he does the RIGHT thing by his girls, and the dog. Sounds like these litle girls have way more intelligence and heart than their dad!
On the other hand - if he has GENUINELY found a good home for it (I’m dubious!) maybe the mutt would be better off than living with someone who takes his responsibilities so lightly.

Meanie August 12, 2009, 8:09 PM

I hate cockers so I don’t blame the father at all. They are mean, nasty, smelly biters and shouldn’t be around children in the first place. I’ll do it!!!

Melissa August 12, 2009, 8:26 PM

Go DAD!

Anonymous August 12, 2009, 8:28 PM

i’ll do it, not just to see ‘em cry but the money a plus too

bpinsky August 12, 2009, 8:42 PM