Dog Rescues Boy with Downs

Sometimes you read a story that makes the little hairs on your arms stand on end. This story, written by Lane DeGregory of the St. Petersburg Times, blew our minds. Here's the gist:

Yolanda Segovia pets RaeLee, the found dog she credits with saving the life of her son Christian Mas

Vivian Manning-Schaffel: One morning, 47-year-old divorced mom of two Yolanda Segovia was given an abandoned terrier found by her neighbor. Yolanda's plate was full, but she agreed to hang on to the pooch for a day.

After extensive efforts to locate the dog's owner, she, along with her two sons, eventually bought the dog a bed and a leash. They even gave him a name: RaeLee. And the dog made himself at home.

"Don't fall in love with him," Yolanda repeatedly warned her sons.

Yolanda's elder 21-year-old son, Christian, has Down syndrome and an array of other ailments. He has had heart surgery and a kidney transplant. He can't speak or bathe himself.

When the boys climbed into their bunk beds at night, the dog dragged his bed from Yolanda's living room, down the long hall, into their room.

Four days later, they still had the dog. He was starting to answer to his new name. And he almost never barked.

On Saturday, Christian retreated to his room to watch a Barney video. RaeLee dozed beside him. Yolanda had just stepped onto her porch to water the plants when the dog flung himself into the screen door, barking madly.

As she opened the door, RaeLee sprinted across the living room, into the boys' room.
Yolanda screamed. Christian was slumped over, his body writhing in a seizure, blood streaming from his nose and mouth.

RaeLee ran to the boy, still yelping. But as soon as Yolanda bent to cradle her son, the dog went silent. "If he hadn't come to get me," Yolanda told her neighbor, "the neurologist said Christian would have choked on his own blood and died." Since no one had claimed the dog, Yolanda decided to keep him.

The next morning, a man who lives six blocks from Yolanda recognized RaeLee from a flyer and got in touch with her neighbor to claim him. He'd been searching for the dog for more than a week. The neighbor told him about how he saved Yolanda's son.

When the owner showed up at Yolanda's house to claim RaeLee, her younger son stood on the porch, crying. "We're going to miss you," he called.

The owner saw this, and noticed Christian's frightened face in the window. The clincher? He gave RaeLee to Yolanda and her kids, saying, "Maybe he was supposed to find you."

Got chills yet? How cool is that?

next: Kidnapped Girl Slept in Tents for 18 Years
Dani August 28, 2009, 6:36 PM

I literally have tears running down my face! This is AMAZING! What a special story! Dogs do not get the respect they deserve. They are alert, communicative, smart, amazing, loveable and loyal and all they ask in return is love, affection, snuggling, playing, some walks, belly rubs, food, water, treats, a safe home to live in, a comfy bed and some toys & vet visits. It’s not alot to ask for and they are so amzing! I learn everyday from my rescues. They teach me unconditional love, they raise my spirits on days when I am blah and they greet me with a rock star welcome everytime I come home! I hope more people rescue and learn to respect these amazing animals!

Etna August 28, 2009, 10:20 PM

What a moving story. Animals never cease to amaze me!

Charles August 28, 2009, 10:59 PM

Man’s best friend indeed.

Wendi August 28, 2009, 11:03 PM

That is so awsome!! How blessed they are for having that dog. For the man that gave up his dog, he is a saint :)

Dani August 29, 2009, 12:41 AM

Yes I would like to add that the man who lovingly gave up his dog is an Angel who walks the earth without his wings!! God Bless him!

C August 29, 2009, 10:39 AM

I really like this story too! Very sweet.

I wish Momlogic hadn’t referred to the 21-year old as “Boy” in the title though. He may have developmental disabilities and be dependent on caregivers, but he isn’t a child. The source article didn’t call him a boy.

Arianne Wulfhorst October 23, 2009, 1:09 PM

This story literally brought tears to my eyes.
Dogs are amazing creatures and should be respected and treated as such.
And what a good neighbour for letting them keep it.

tudung bidang 60 December 17, 2010, 7:42 AM

Many thanks for a extremely obvious and practical submit. I am unquestionably a violator of many of these principles. I usually come across me conflicted when producing a blog post because I see myself writing greater than people today would like to examine, but I believe that I really need to do the topic matter justice by totally protecting it. I experience that by following a number of these rules I conclude up cutting out very important facets to your discussion. I guess you may have to uncover stability.

Hinkley Outdoor Lighting December 17, 2010, 9:29 AM

Early Learning December 17, 2010, 9:54 AM

I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am starting a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business.

English Premier League Highlight December 17, 2010, 8:52 PM

I love your writing style genuinely enjoying this internet site .

Baby Boutique December 18, 2010, 1:06 AM

Pretty good post. I just came across your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

Braun Shaver Reviews December 18, 2010, 3:02 AM

I always was interested in this subject and stock still am, regards for putting up.

Psychology Bachelor Info December 18, 2010, 4:23 AM

thanks to the author for taking his time on this one.

Ettie December 18, 2010, 8:27 PM

Perfect just what I was searching for! .

Mp3 Shqip December 19, 2010, 1:50 PM

Thank you very much for this article. I appreciate reading it. Hope to see more from you. Regards

car seat covers for girls December 26, 2010, 3:01 AM

some genuinely excellent posts on this internet site , appreciate it for contribution.

Jetta Crater December 26, 2010, 4:28 PM

I am not very wonderful with English but I come up this really leisurely to understand .

car seat ratings toddler December 26, 2010, 10:01 PM

Outstanding post, you have pointed out some excellent details , I likewise think this s a very fantastic website.

Schlage Keypad December 27, 2010, 7:39 AM

I just signed up to your blogs rss feed. Will you post more on this subject?