Dog Rescues Boy with Downs

Sometimes you read a story that makes the little hairs on your arms stand on end. This story, written by Lane DeGregory of the St. Petersburg Times, blew our minds. Here's the gist:

Yolanda Segovia pets RaeLee, the found dog she credits with saving the life of her son Christian Mas

Vivian Manning-Schaffel: One morning, 47-year-old divorced mom of two Yolanda Segovia was given an abandoned terrier found by her neighbor. Yolanda's plate was full, but she agreed to hang on to the pooch for a day.

After extensive efforts to locate the dog's owner, she, along with her two sons, eventually bought the dog a bed and a leash. They even gave him a name: RaeLee. And the dog made himself at home.

"Don't fall in love with him," Yolanda repeatedly warned her sons.

Yolanda's elder 21-year-old son, Christian, has Down syndrome and an array of other ailments. He has had heart surgery and a kidney transplant. He can't speak or bathe himself.

When the boys climbed into their bunk beds at night, the dog dragged his bed from Yolanda's living room, down the long hall, into their room.

Four days later, they still had the dog. He was starting to answer to his new name. And he almost never barked.

On Saturday, Christian retreated to his room to watch a Barney video. RaeLee dozed beside him. Yolanda had just stepped onto her porch to water the plants when the dog flung himself into the screen door, barking madly.

As she opened the door, RaeLee sprinted across the living room, into the boys' room.
Yolanda screamed. Christian was slumped over, his body writhing in a seizure, blood streaming from his nose and mouth.

RaeLee ran to the boy, still yelping. But as soon as Yolanda bent to cradle her son, the dog went silent. "If he hadn't come to get me," Yolanda told her neighbor, "the neurologist said Christian would have choked on his own blood and died." Since no one had claimed the dog, Yolanda decided to keep him.

The next morning, a man who lives six blocks from Yolanda recognized RaeLee from a flyer and got in touch with her neighbor to claim him. He'd been searching for the dog for more than a week. The neighbor told him about how he saved Yolanda's son.

When the owner showed up at Yolanda's house to claim RaeLee, her younger son stood on the porch, crying. "We're going to miss you," he called.

The owner saw this, and noticed Christian's frightened face in the window. The clincher? He gave RaeLee to Yolanda and her kids, saying, "Maybe he was supposed to find you."

Got chills yet? How cool is that?

next: Kidnapped Girl Slept in Tents for 18 Years
Hong Quashie March 8, 2011, 4:45 PM

Between me and my husband we’ve owned additional MP3 players over the years than I will count, together with Sansas, iRivers, iPods (classic & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc. But, the previous couple of years I’ve settled right down to one line of players. Why? because i was happy to get how well-designed and fun to use the underappreciated (and widely mocked) Zunes are.

Eddie Roen March 9, 2011, 11:36 AM

I am having a weird downside I cannot appear to be able to subscribe to your RSS feed. i’m using google reader FYI.

Almeda Alvey March 9, 2011, 1:37 PM

How is it that just anybody will write a site and obtain as common as this? Its not like youve said something incredibly impressive –more like youve painted a pretty image over a difficulty that you recognize nothing regarding I don’t need to sound mean, here. however does one very suppose that you can depart with adding some pretty footage and not extremely say anything?

Rachell Meyette March 9, 2011, 8:15 PM

I have been once the internet for this information and I needed to thank u for the post. By the way, simply off topic, where am I able to find a replica of this theme? – Regards

Ira Musielak March 10, 2011, 12:01 PM

I have been after the web for this info and that I needed to thank u for the post. By the way, just off topic, where am I able to realize a copy of this theme? – Regards

Gayle Maroun March 10, 2011, 4:15 PM

Hi there i’m keeping getting a technical obstacle browsing your website, i’m given 505 pages fairly usually, i am not very clear on the reasons but if I reload the webpage it comes alright.

Mac Houlihan March 13, 2011, 8:25 PM

How is it that simply anybody will write a website and get as common as this? Its not like youve said anything incredibly impressive –more like youve painted a reasonably picture over a difficulty that you simply understand nothing about I don’t need to sound mean, here. however do you really suppose that you can go away with adding some pretty footage and not very say anything?

Josue Tokarski March 14, 2011, 1:04 AM

Hi there i’m keeping obtaining a technical obstacle browsing your web site, i am given 505 pages fairly often, i am not very clear on the explanations however if I reload the webpage it comes alright.

Weldon Crigler March 14, 2011, 4:26 AM

Pretty insightful publish. Never thought that it had been this simple in spite of everything. I had spent a superior deal of my time yearning for someone to elucidate this topic clearly and you?€?re the sole 1 that ever did that. Kudos to you retain it up

Luke Nieminen March 14, 2011, 10:49 PM

Great post I believe your leading points and assume the title says it all, I enjoyed scaning and that I can surely come back from time to time to read a lot of of your writing. sustain the nice work

Stewart Kiser March 15, 2011, 1:07 AM

Please tell me that youre going to keep this up Its therefore smart and thus necessary. I cant wait to browse way more from you. I just really feel like you know so substantially and skills to make folks hear what you may ought to say. This weblog is just additionally cool to be missed. Terrific things, seriously. Please, PLEASE keep it up

Felton Rozeboom March 15, 2011, 5:46 AM

My sis told me concerning your web site and how nice it’s. She’s correct, I’m actually impressed with the writing and slick design. It seems to me you’re just scratching the surface in terms of what you’ll accomplish, however you’re off to an incredible begin

passive income March 23, 2011, 9:42 AM

Thanks for these tips. One thing I additionally believe is credit cards featuring a 0% rate of interest often lure consumers along with zero rate, instant approval and easy on the web balance transfers, but beware of the top factor that is going to void your own 0% easy street annual percentage rate as well as throw you out into the terrible house rapid.