How Babies Are Made ... Uncensored!

When it comes to sex, how much is too much information?

When we saw this children's book about how babies are made, we were shocked. It shows intercourse (with penetration!) and childbirth (complete with crowning!). The book is from Denmark, where the teen birth rates are 5.9 per 1,000 women ... compared to the U.S. teen birth rate, which is 41.9 per 1,000 women. Are they on to something?

How should we explain the birds and the bees to our own kids? Here's what pediatrician Dr. Cara Natterson has to say:

"I am a believer in answering the question a child asks. This helps educate your youngster without offering more information than she is equipped to understand. A child will ask concrete questions, but if you really listen to the words, the answers he is looking for are usually broad, not detailed and anatomic. If this series of cartoons is targeted at young children (and presumably it is aimed at preschoolers and elementary schoolers), I think it offers more than they need -- or want -- to know."

What do you think of this book from Denmark -- refreshingly honest or too much information? Comment below.

next: Kourtney Kardashian is Pregnant
MarMar August 13, 2009, 1:24 PM

My 6-year-old was getting upset with the vague answers. Her dad finally told her everything. She still needs some clarification on a few things, but at least she knows. Sometimes the vague answers aren’t enough. (BTW, maybe because of this - when her daycare program had the kids changing from into their swimsuits, she was one of the few kids there not trying to check out each other’s “pee-pees.” What was the point? She knew what they looked like, no mystery there!)

rugbymom August 13, 2009, 3:48 PM

For Pre-schoolers, TMI. When someone told me early on, just the basics, I was horrified. I wasn’t ready at 5 yrs old. Plus then you get kids trying to figure it out when you’ve already got that creepy ‘show me yours & I’ll show you mine’ crap going on. Maybe I am “too conservative” but I do not think a pre-schooler needs this book. However! When I was @10 i was given a book I could not understand. IT was so technical I didn’t know what a period was when it started and thought I was going to die. There is a middle ground and I’m not sure if anyone has touched on it yet! I plan on being open and honest with my girls and already am about body parts with my almost-4 yr old, like it is no big deal. Nudity is not an issue in our house, but When she asks about where babies come from, rest-assured, I won’t be whipping out this book any time soon!

May August 14, 2009, 4:03 PM

I personally think this is a good book. It explains everything in a simple way for kids to understand. Nowadays kids see and hear far worst stuff on TV and everywhere else. Based on experience too many parents are concerned with what their kids might do with the information they receive that they don’t speak with them. I remember my mom talking to me about my period when I was about 6 years old and she will always send me to school with a pad “just in case”. When I actually got my period at the age of 10 I was not scared and knew what to do and it happened while we were flying from Puerto Rico to New York. I did everything my mom told me and I was fined and I told her the day after and she was very proud of me. BTW can anyone tell me where I can find this book.

mary January 25, 2011, 2:55 PM

This book is ridiculous and I can’t believe thatt any publisher would print it or that anyone would acually buy it!

There are many books parents and/or teachers can use to teach basic sex eduction to youngsters, but none can compare to one of the first (1968-9) from Time Life Books titled HOW BABIES ARE MADE —- not How A Baby Is Made.

polly January 26, 2011, 11:56 AM

A Big Yes to HOW BABIES RE NADE.
Ab absolute no to How A Baby Is Made.

mary February 7, 2011, 12:13 PM

Would love to see you do a review of the book HOW BABIES ARE MADE? Authors are Andry and Schepp. Was originally published in 1968 by Time Life Books and General Learning Corproration. Distribtion rights were transfered to Little Brown & Comapny in 1983. This is not the same book you refer to in your headline above or your text. That is How A Baby is Made and is a completely different book. The book I’m speaking about is available on the internet as a new and/or used book on numerous sites such as Amazon. think it’s the best of the whole lot (for 3-10 year olds) and would like to know what you think. Thanks.