Is Smoking Pot Safer Than Drinking?

Last week, momlogic brought you news on a controversial new movement that promotes pot use instead of alcohol. These parents want to ban pot prohibition because they believe it will save lives.

teen smoking marijuana

Which is the lesser of two evils? Our moms in our Community battle it out:

And herein lies the problem with pot and pot smokers. They think it not dangerous. A high driver is just as lethal as a drunk driver. A high college kid is just as impaired at making decisions as a drunk one. So sad that pot smokers can't admit that to themselves -- in the same way they can't admit their addiction.
-- No thanks

I have been a pot smoker for well more than 30 years, and I do not drink. I have tried alcohol and do not like the effects. I also owned a bar and seen the effects of alcohol on many people and it was terrible. I have researched pot for my college paper, and would go to the mats to get it legalized. I too, have had the talk with my children and told them if they have to do one or the other, please let it be pot. By the way, pot was outlawed in the 1930's because of money. Big paper and plastics business didn't want to compete and they still don't. You may be interested to learn that we can get more than 25,000 products from marijuana, including fuel to heat our homes and run our vehicles. Pot is a plant that can be harvested every 30 days, it does no harm to the earth and it has self-contained pest control. Hemp is an amazing God-given product that has gotten a bad rap. As for you sicko's blowing smoke in babies' faces,you are the reason so many politicians are still fighting against us who are responsible smokers. I for one will smoke to the end of my days and enjoy every minute of it.
-- Alice

Sounds extremely dangerous to me! I smoked marijuana for a period of about eight years and the damage it did to my mental well-being was horrendous. I gradually became detached from society and, later, from friends and family. I had no social life, barely left my home and reversed my sleep pattern so that I slept all day and stayed up all night. I totally isolated myself from every part of normal life and believe marijuana to be the direct cause of this. Just because the effects are not glaringly obvious in the same way as they are with drinking, it does not make marijuana 'safe.' This widely accepted myth could do a lot of damage to society and I urge anybody reading this to think twice before readily accepting that marijuana is the 'safe' option.
-- Matt

I think that it is all bad! If you have to have a man-made substance to get a kick out of life, you are a real loser! Drugs (any kind) and alcohol do more than damage you -- they damage the people that care the most. Think about your kids. Think about the "what if?"! It does so much more than you think it does.

-- Pam

I feel that marijuana should be legal, and that it is way better than drinking. I have smoked it, and know a lot of people that also smoke it; they do hold regular jobs, in fact some are in management, own their own businesses, and are regular everyday people. They just need a way to wind down at the end of the day. It doesn't make you go crazy like booze can, it is hard to overdose on. I don't mind that my kids smoke, I feel it is a lot safer than drinking,so please just legalize it!
-- Dawn

Anonymous August 25, 2009, 4:14 PM

does anyone have any facts whatsoever to contribute? ‘i think pot makes you eat your baby’ is just as valid an opinion as all these other opinions floating around.

mercaties August 25, 2009, 5:22 PM

All I can go on is the fats, that I see. If you look up Alchol related deaths, you will find them by the hundreds. Didn’t actually find any pot related deaths. Pot combined with other drugs yes, but pot by itself no. It’s just seems assinine that Alchol (which by the way was illegal at one point) is legal but pot is not. It seems to me that the people who are against it are against it strictly for the fact that it’s illegal. A relative of mine who is a highly successful Banker, is prescribed vicodin for a knee problem but prefers pot because she can function better.

K August 25, 2009, 6:01 PM

Seems that the simplicity of this is DON’T DRIVE IMPAIRED, regardless of the exact substance! And as far as the pot head that became a hermit?!?! Obviously you took it to the EXTREME and in my opinion were probably lazy to begin with and now blame it on the pot you smoked back then. My opinion is to each its own as long as you are not harming anyone.

Sid  August 25, 2009, 10:12 PM

Smoking marijuana is so much more safe than drinking.

You binge drink, finishing screw driver after screwdriver after cheap rum shot to the next, in lets say under an hour. Suuuudenly though minutes before you felt fine it hits you. Your sloppy drunk and confused. You try to clear your mind with another shot.
-twenty mins later-
a phone is picked up, answered. theres low murming.
a womans voice yells out “ALOCHOL POISONING? !!”
oo your dad is pissed.
and scared. and if you were in any state to come see him you would perhaps recognize the sadness.

Near death. Lying on aa bed. You look up. Into the faces of unfamilar people.

(((((((((((((((((((((((—MUST GO! tbc

clint August 26, 2009, 9:38 AM

I’m a parent of 3 grown kids who have all smoked pot, a lot. I used to smoke it before we had kids, stopped cold and turned against it while raising them(didn’t do any good), and now that they’re out I enjoy smoking it once again. These kids will do it no matter what you say or do, we faught with them to not do it and demonized it every chance, but they still experimented. The facts are that Marijuana is not dangerous and doesn’t produce losers, my kids are doing just fine with employment and steady relationships. People are against pot because it’s illegal and the media makes it look scary. Do your own unbiased research and stick to the facts, not opinion. Start with the “addiction” theory and you’ll find that pot is NON addictive. “Gateway drug”, those people who graduated to the hard stuff would have done it no matter what. “Unhealthy”, only if you smoked it everyday like cigs, a vaporizor makes it safe for average users. “Crime”, yeah, selling it and smoking it is illegal, so, doesn’t make it bad. “Higher potentcy”, most beer drinkers don’t consume hard liquer and most pot smokers don’t smoke hard pot. Don’t take my opinions for it, do your own research but stop being against it just because you were told you should be, think for yourself and make your own educated mind up. Turn off the TV and read.

Tom August 31, 2009, 11:53 PM

Dear ‘No Thanks’,
Your belief that a person under the influence of marijuana is just as impaired as a person under the influence of alcohol is ridiculous. Have you ever tried marijuana? When was the last time you heard a case of marijuana related domestic abuse? How about a college girl getting raped at a frat house because she was way too high? Didn’t think so.

Dear ‘Matt’,
Just because you didn’t use marijuana responsibly does not mean others can’t. Marijuana is the safest psychoactive substance known to man and I find it pathetic that you could not keep your use under control. I hope for your own sake you never try any hard drugs.

Dear ‘Pam’,
Marijuana is not a “man-made” substance. Maybe you should stop being so ignorant and do some research.

Wyndham September 3, 2009, 1:04 PM

I would agree that pot is absolutely a better option than drinking, if it is going to be done recreationally. Obviously no one wants a “stoner” child, but i’d rather have one of those than a teenager with a wrecked car, a dui charge and alcohol poisoning. The side effects differ a lot..and smoking pot and driving actually makes you more aware. It’s weird..but i’d prefer a high driver over a drunk driver, and a sober driver over both. legalize marijuana!

Russ September 23, 2009, 12:31 AM

Pot is far less damaging, in many ways, than booze. Someone who smokes pot is far less likely to participate in risky behavior than someone who drinks. As a smoker and a drinker I have noticed that I am far less likely to do something wild and crazy when I am under the influence of THC. Contrarily, when I drink I have the tendency to make sporadic, risky decisions. The facts are out there that prove marijuana is less dangerous than alcohol and tobacco. So why is it illegal in the first place? Back in the day big business/government used propaganda to relate pot to drugs like heroin and cocaine. In that day people did not have the access to information that we have today to be able to make logical decisions for themselves. Thankfully, most of those people are dead or about to die. Whether you like it or not pot will be legalized in the near future just as booze after prohibition.

Ryan September 25, 2009, 9:15 AM

@Pam: since when is pot man-made?

kyle September 25, 2009, 9:50 AM

pam, pot is not a man-made drug, its a naturally growing plant

Sally March 9, 2011, 2:27 PM

I let my kid start smoking marijuana at the age of 16, and instead of having him sneak around all the time I know where he is, who he is with, and what he is doing. His grades have improved since I allowed it also. Overall it has brought us closer together, and has created a better mother son relationship than i could have imagined! [: