John Edwards, You Owe Us an Apology

One mom thinks the former candidate for president owes the American people an apology, but she's not holding her breath.

John Edwards

Jennifer Ginsberg: Dear John,

It has been nearly a year since you went on national television and reluctantly admitted that you had a brief affair with Rielle Hunter, only after you were caught with your pants down. At that time, you vehemently denied that you were the father of her newborn baby girl, despite the fact that only days earlier you were photographed in a hotel room holding the child, with Rielle by your side.

At that time, I knew you were lying. Why would a man who is not the father of a woman's baby risk everything to see her and the child? And why would you give her so much money every month, in addition to setting her up in a luxurious home, all expenses paid? Then there was the question of whether campaign money was used as hush money to keep your mistress quiet, an issue which you tap-danced around as well.

When you did the interview, I remember being appalled not so much by your behavior (because without knowing the real circumstance of your marriage and private life, how could I judge your actions), but by your bald-faced lie to the American public -- the same people who trusted and respected you enough to support your bid for the Oval Office in both the 2004 and 2008 elections.

Well, now the truth is out. According to the National Enquirer, a secret DNA test reveals that you are indeed the father of 18-month-old Frances as a result of your affair with Rielle Hunter. I believe that you owe the American people an apology, for lying to us when we supported you, for invalidating our reality, and for potentially using our money in an attempt to cover your tracks.

I won't hold my breath. When I watched you in that television interview, I saw a man who was pathologically self-centered and perhaps even incapable of feeling true empathy for others. The only honest sentiments you uttered in that interview were when you spoke of your "narcissism" driving your behavior.

Please take good care of your little girl, who deserves to be raised by parents who both want and love her.

next: Regis Predicts Jon and Kate Reconciliation
Lisa August 13, 2009, 2:51 PM

Yeah, right. And the American people won’t hold their breath waiting for an apology from George W. Bush for lying to the American public about those WMD’s either. And the trillions of dollars spent on a war and the thousands upon thousands of brave troops whose young lives were lost. Priorities please.

anonymous August 13, 2009, 3:29 PM

Sorry, lisa, many americans, of whom I am one, believe the facts that came out about the intel being wrong. I won’t ever believe that he lied about it. And I guess obama didn’t lie either with all of those “transparency” pledges (just for a start)…

Lisa August 13, 2009, 3:51 PM

Well, anonymous, you are entitled to your opinion, just as I’m entitled to mine. But the fact remains that thousands of lives were lost… and Obama didn’t cause the deaths of anyone in a useless and expensive war.

Anonymous August 13, 2009, 3:58 PM

With respect to John Edwards, isn’t this a tired subject by now? Didn’t everyone pretty much figure out that he was the baby’s father? And isn’t it “punishment enough” that his career is basically over? Another loss of a great mind over boudoir decisions. Let’s move on and concentrate on really important issues that affect us all, such as the much-needed national health plan.

birdsfly August 13, 2009, 4:15 PM

Not that I care either way, but since when is the National Enquirer gospel truth?

Heather R August 13, 2009, 4:36 PM

Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive…then again, in the infinite complexity of life, perhaps Edwards could have done worse than he has. At least Reille Hunter has a baby—her only one—at 44, and Edwards is trying in some way to contribute to the child’s life.

Mark August 13, 2009, 4:39 PM

Lisa, I am certain this will fall on deaf ears but I will give it a shot. There is no evidence that George W. Bush lied about WMD’s none, zero. Also what is you proof they did not or do not exist? The fact that WMD’s have not been discovered to your satisfaction is meaningless. Unless you had information on their whereabouts how would you find them? You are dealing with a country the size of California that is 95% desert and expect a few thousand troops to mount and effective search while defending themselves, if the fighting stopped today and they all systematically looked for WMD’s it would take decades to complete the task, and who is to say that did not end up in Syria? Hopefully your memory serves you well, every western head of state the UN and your beloved Bill Clinton all believed beyond a show of a doubt that WMD’s existed. The good people of Iraq who now have a democratic society and can vote for the government they desire, and the women who can now walk freely in the streets without fear of reprimand or punishment and may also go to school and work to support themselves and there family’s.
Any country in my option should make situations like Iraq a very high priority.

Mark Reilly August 13, 2009, 4:41 PM

It’s interesting that Jennifer Ginsberg is more outraged over John Edwards affair than Diane Schuller getting drunk, high and killing 8 people.Maybe Johnny had an ‘chemical imbalance’ and an ‘addiction’ that led to his behavior.He’s not really a bad dad!!

MarMar August 13, 2009, 4:53 PM

I would like to add one thing: Whatever you think of our current president, you have to admit, at least we dodged a bullet by not electing THIS GUY. Even worse than lying to us: You know someday, Frances is going to be old enough to hear his denial of her as his daughter, and my heart breaks for her on the day that happens.

Mark August 13, 2009, 4:56 PM

Mark, for you to ascertain that Jennifer Ginsberg was not outraged with regards the events surrounding Diane Schller is erroneous and not the point of the article, read it again, slower this time.

Mark Reilly August 13, 2009, 5:53 PM

Mark I normally don’t get into back and forths on forums (especially when we share the same name) but the reality is, she was offering ‘explanations’ for Diane Schiller’s behavior but not for John Edwards.After all,no one died in the Edwards affair (just the opposite in fact).I also never said I disagreed with her about Edwards ,although a national apology is a bit much-he should limit it to his family,especially his wife and those who supported his campaign.I stand by my original post 100%.

Anonymous August 13, 2009, 6:05 PM

Hi Mark,

I, personally, have no proof that WMD’s did or did not exist, but why then did Bush base his whole reason for invading that country on WMD’s. And if your memory serves, many of politician’s who believed then that WMD’s existed, changed their minds later. Your beloved Bush put this country in the shape it is now… in debt over our ears and hated by most of the rest of the world. Good job… I think not.

Lisa August 13, 2009, 6:07 PM

The above post addressing Mark is mine, btw.

Pamala August 13, 2009, 6:10 PM

Edwards owes no one but his family an apology. Like it or not, this kind of private affair which meant nothing in regards to how he serves the public, shouldn’t have been national news. Unless he was arrested for something, or did something illegal, I just don’t see how it’s our business.

Mark August 13, 2009, 6:48 PM

Mark, her explanations for Diane Schiller’s behavior was valid, as for Edwards he is a person of very poor judgment and moral character. Your first criticism of Jennifer Ginsberg, was she seem more outraged over the events surrounding Edwards than Diane Schiller’s behavior, although I cannot and should not answer for Jennifer Ginsberg I personal hope she is more outraged with Edwards. The fact is although Diane Schiller’s behavior was a horrible tragedy is will have no effect on society as whole, on the other hand had we elected Edwards the outcome could have had dire effect on this country.

Mark August 13, 2009, 7:09 PM

Lisa, you need to check your facts, all the heads of the western nations believed and claimed there were WMD’s well into the war. Many relized as well as the UN that after 20 UN mandates war was inevitable, only when the war started to lose it support did some not all do a 180. With regards the senate all but 3-4 approved of the war. Bush did not put this country in this recession, nor did the war, although there is plenty of blame to share the majority must full on the shoulder of the senate finance committee, they are the one that did not listen to the warnings coming from other members of congress for many years

L3 August 13, 2009, 7:45 PM

Jennifer Ginsberg, you owe us an apology… for writing on such an out of date topic. Momlogic, you owe us an apology for publishing such an idiotic article.

Lisa August 13, 2009, 7:46 PM

Mark, looks like you’ve checked all the facts for me.

Mark August 13, 2009, 8:04 PM

Lisa,I wish you well.

Mark August 13, 2009, 8:19 PM

L3, get a life, no one forced you to read the article and had you done a little homework, you would be aware that recently some important facts have been revel about Edwards, some people find this interesting , if you don’t and stop your childish drive-bys and move along.