Kourtney Kardashian Considered An Abortion

MSN: Kourtney Kardashian's unplanned pregnancy forced the shocked reality TV star to make one of the most difficult decisions in her life: Would she have the baby or abort the pregnancy?

kourtney kardashian

"I definitely thought about it long and hard, about if I wanted to keep the baby or not, and I wasn't thinking about adoption," Kardashian, 30, who was shooting E!'s "Kourtney & Khloe Take Miami" at the time, tells PEOPLE exclusively. "I do think every woman should have the right to do what they want, but I don't think it's talked through enough. I can't even tell you how many people just say, 'Oh, get an abortion.' Like it's not a big deal."

Scott Disick, the baby's 26-year-old father, was supportive either way. The pair had split in November after two years of dating, but reconciled shortly after finding out she was pregnant. "He wanted me to talk about it more, but I just kept to myself," she says. "He said, 'I really want you to keep it, but I will support you whatever you decide to do.'"

Confused and concerned, Kardashian says, "I called my best friend crying, and I was like, 'I don't know what to do.' She said, 'Call your doctor, and at least find out the risks and stuff.'" So Kardashian discussed abortion with her physician, and then headed to the Internet to do further research.

"I looked online, and I was sitting on bed hysterically crying, reading these stories of people who felt so guilty from having an abortion," she recalls. "I was reading these things of how many people are traumatized by it afterwards."

After scouring the Internet, Kardashian says she started to realize that an abortion wasn't an option for her. "I was just sitting there crying, thinking, 'I can't do that,'" she says. "And I felt in my body, this is meant to be. God does things for a reason, and I just felt like it was the right thing that was happening in my life."

Kardashian says she did some intense soul-searching. "For me, all the reasons why I wouldn't keep the baby were so selfish: It wasn't like I was raped, it's not like I'm 16. I'm 30 years old, I make my own money, I support myself, I can afford to have a baby. And I am with someone who I love, and have been with for a long time."

Although Kardashian sought out the advice of others, she says it was her decision -- and hers alone -- that was the most important.

"I really wanted to think it through for myself, and not hear what my sisters were saying, or what Scott was saying. Even though I took it all in, I wanted it to be my decision," she says. "My doctor told me there is nothing you will ever regret about having the baby, but he was like, 'You may regret not having the baby.' And I was like: That is so true. And it just hit me. I got so excited, and when I told Scott he was so excited. But I think if I had said I'm not going to keep it, I really think he would have pushed me into keeping it."

next: Magician David Copperfield Accused of Raping Woman on Private Island
Ramsey August 20, 2009, 3:58 PM

You know who really believes this attention seeking clown? Why would she consider abortion when she’s getting the media attention she so desperately desires? She like the rest of her family saying/doing whatever keeps them in the news. She’s 30 and needs to grow up. Why say things that her child will read later? Abortion or not, should be a private choice not a tool to get interviewed. Sickening!

Julia August 20, 2009, 5:16 PM

of course things happen for a reason…they happen because of the CHOICES you make…if you “opps” forget your pill (as she stated during another interview) the consequence could be pregnancy “opps.” Abortion is a personal choice just because some women regret it doesn’t mean you would too.

krystal August 20, 2009, 5:18 PM

well i dont really think that you should be with the father of the baby( scott ) because he hasent been the perfet boyfriend for you and you are really nice and pretty and i think that you need a better man…..but talking about your baby i think that you should keep it because you have a great family and specially great sisters..you have their support and love and i know that they will be always by your side 24/7 and trust me i know what im saying because i havent met u girls in person but i do watch the show all the time so thats all i have to say and good luck koutney

ben gaza August 20, 2009, 5:33 PM

this is a no talent little girl whose whole life is based on fantasy. she does nothing helps no one except herself. and should not be spawning any child. she is bought and payed for i think she should give the child to some family that lives in areal world. not the tv world

Rachel  August 20, 2009, 5:39 PM

No one is in a position to judge her for HER CHOICE.

Personally, I’m glad she told HER story. There are many young women who don’t weigh the consequences of their actions and look at abortion as an easy out.

I don’t think this interview was given for attention, but to bring to light what a woman experiences when she discovers she’s pregnant and it’s not planned. Hopefully her story will force other young women to make better choices, and to think about the consequences they may experience as a result of their choices.

Get Real August 20, 2009, 6:28 PM

If anybody watches the show, you would know this is her second time with an “accident” there was another time that she thought she was pregnant due to not taking birth control. Also happened after the boyfriend was cheating. She did the oldest trick in the book, planned to get pregnant to keep her immature boyfriend with her. Everything this family does is for attention. She would say the baby belong to an alien if she got on a magazine cover.

Claire August 20, 2009, 8:05 PM

Oh, she had enough money to have this baby. So what.

Anonymous August 20, 2009, 9:15 PM

What are these idiots famous for anyway?

stella August 20, 2009, 9:44 PM

The Kardashians are human, don’t forget! And they are entertainers, people (incuding myself) watch their show for entertaining purposes. But they are entitled to be immature and also to look after themselves, just like any person would. Kourtney is just confronting in public a challenge in her life. I’m happy she decided to keep the baby. Kris will be so happy—no need to hire a monkey anymore!

Dani August 21, 2009, 1:50 AM

There is so much wrong with this girl. Ok her BF and she broke up but got back together when she found out she was pregnant? HELLO? If it wasnt working before it won’t work now that there is a kid involved! He can still be a Dad without them being together.
Secondly, she says she has moeny so she can have a baby, money is not the top of the list in raising a child, love, morals, firm grip on reality these things need to be a huge factor. She is a celeBRATTY. She is “famous” for nothing. I think its apalling to discuss the fact that she considered abortion and tried to make herself sound so heroic by choosing to have it instead when there was no real reason for her to consider abortion (not like she was raped or severly ill where the child or her lived would be threatened etc) If your discussing the thought of terminating a pregnancy for no other reason then selfishness, then that needs to be kept private! The world does not need to know something that private! All the media is oooing and aaahing and fussing “oh how does she feel about her new curves? How is she preparing for the baby? blah blah blah! These “spin doctors” think that if they coo enuff about it people wont realize she was irresponsible and screwed up and got herself knocked up? PUHLEEZE!

Mel August 21, 2009, 8:14 PM

Of course she would have the baby becouse when the baby is born she gets to sell the picture to the tabloids for millions. Haveing babies in hollwood is the new money maker.

brownie August 24, 2009, 4:22 PM

I think your personal life should be your business. Having an sbortion or not is not the pubic’s business. I think you should be quiet and just do what you think is best for you. Talking too much may injure you in your future concerning personal matters. Be careful Kourtney. Shut up!