To 'Mad Men': Don't Try to Trick Me!

One man hates when TV shows try to pull a fast one on the American public.

Aaron Hart, Jared Gilmore

Brett Berk: As a professional advocate for young children, I've often been a bit ... startled at the way that little Bobby Draper -- the son of adman Don and anomic housewife Betty on the AMC program "Mad Men" -- has been treated.

In Season 1, he was smacked across his juice-stained face by a total stranger for running around inside the house. In Season 2, his mom campaigned hard for him to be spanked, hard, after he allegedly broke the family record player. (Aiming for redemption from his own brutal boyhood beatings, Don chose instead to smash his son's toy robot against the kitchen wall and give his wife a shove.)

In my heart, I can forgive the show for this brutality because I know that that a) these displays are meant to shock us by demonstrating the archaic child-rearing practices of the Jet Set era, b) according to the end-credit disclaimer, No real children were injured in the making of this program, and c) as a parenting guru, I often wish that contemporary parents assumed the tiniest iota of Don and Betty's "authority" instead of pretending that their kid is their best friend or equal (to the adverse effect for all). Plus it's not like the Draper's daughter, Sally, fares much better, getting shamed, locked in a closet, and having her arm twisted, not to mention nearly suffocating in her mom's dry-cleaning bag.

But, in the premiere episode of Season 3, "Mad Men" crossed a line. Unlike many other viewers, I look forward to the bits of the show that feature the younger Drapers, and I waited expectantly for the little buggers to appear. But when they finally did in the episode's final minutes, I was rendered speechless. There, hoisting a giant suitcase onto the foot of Don and Betty's bed, was a child who was obviously meant to be Bobby. But he looked ... different. At first, I suspected that the kid had simply aged, the way that Tina Yothers -- Michael J. Fox's "little" sister from "Family Ties" -- had grown about eleven inches and put on 40 pounds in the show's final years. But in squinting at the screen, I quickly discarded this notion. "They replaced Bobby!" I shouted to my boyfriend, who was too busy hoping Don would get undressed for bed to notice. I punched his leg. "It's a different f*%king Bobby. It's a different kid." Tal shrugged.

The actor had only been on screen for a moment -- devious Matt Weiner was clearly trying to ease us in with a classic bait and switch. But a quick jump over to IMDB proved me correct. The frightened, and mildly anemic looking "Classic" Bobby played by Aaron Hart -- veteran of two seasons of "Mad Men" as well as 52 (!!) episodes of "Guiding Light" -- had been excised, and replaced by a round-cheeked imposter named Jared Gilmore. I felt like that mother in Massachusetts who, on clicking on some scammy online adoption site, found a picture of her own son being offered up as a "cute Canadian boy" living in an orphanage in Cameroon. According to his database listing, little Aaron has moved on to other things -- an upcoming episode of "Ghost Whisperer" most prominent among them. Perhaps he grew depressed by "Mad Men's" depiction of emptiness at the soul of the American family. Perhaps he became befuddled by his dual 1960s/2000s lives, confused as to whether a daily breakfast of fried eggs and bacon would cause him to grow up and become a big strong man, or put him in his grave before sprouting his first pubic hair. Perhaps he simply got tired of being smacked around. Whatever the cause of his departure, I want to go on the record as saying: I noticed. In the immortal words of Angelina Jolie: "This is not my son." Jared Gilmore, you devious little changeling, I'm watching you.

next: Source: Michael Jackson's Doctor to Be Charged With Manslaughter
Deborah Lipp August 19, 2009, 5:26 PM

While you are right that Aaron Hart has been replaced by Jared Gilmore (who is a charming young man), you are wrong that little Bobby was slapped across the face in season one. That honor went to Ernie, the son of Draper neighbors Francine & Carlton.

j August 19, 2009, 6:53 PM

I was disappointed to see a new Bobby. I always felt sorry for him. I think the new baby should be a boy. I think he will be totally ignored if it is a girl. Betty obviously wants a girl.

Anonymous August 19, 2009, 11:35 PM

WTF?

anne August 24, 2009, 1:22 PM

I know, I was shocked and saddened by the new Bobby- the old one was so cute and now every time there is a scene with Bobby it’s distracting because all I can think about is the old one how much better I liked him!

Carla ate my melba toast! August 25, 2009, 2:20 AM

Perhaps there will be a new Bobby every season - most of the first season he was played by Maxwell Huckabee.

AlizeAspefs September 15, 2010, 8:48 PM

Hi there,

Ever since moving to Australia just a little over 5 years ago, my husband and me have really missed purchasing in those huge retail clothes stores located in America. In distinct, we loved purchasing at Gap. It didn’t take us long to understand that Gap Clothing did not exist right here in Sydney, allow alone Australia! We have a little a single, and I can’t even start to tell you guys how cheap Gap is for babies every one of the way as much as adults. Nicely… We have a very remedy for you. We decided to start out up a blog writing about the recent trends of Gap inside US. You can stay on top with the latest fashion, styles, and colours whilst reading by means of our posts each and every week. Not just that, but we’ve discovered people hidden spots exactly where you are able to basically invest in Gap apparel here in Australia! I bet you didnt know that was even feasible :)

Anyway, if there is certainly any info you may need on Gap, or any other significant clothing retailer within the US, please let us know.

Let us know if you have any good ideas for new blog posts!

Let us show you how to find Gap Clothing in Australia

mineral make up February 4, 2011, 6:19 AM

There are actually a variety of details like that to take into consideration. That is a nice point to deliver up. I offer the thoughts above as basic inspiration but clearly there are questions just like the one you bring up where a very powerful factor will probably be working in sincere good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around issues like that, however I am positive that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Each boys and girls really feel the influence of only a second’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

grey goose vodka February 8, 2011, 1:01 PM

I simply needed to thank you very much once again. I’m not certain the things that I would have taken care of without the entire ways contributed by you relating to that area. It absolutely was the alarming crisis in my circumstances, nevertheless being able to view this professional way you resolved the issue made me to jump with joy. I’m happy for this work and even have high hopes you really know what a powerful job you were accomplishing training most people with the aid of your websites. Probably you haven’t encountered any of us.

Cheap coveyancing quotes February 27, 2011, 4:03 PM

Keep working ,impressive job!