Married Moms Use Condoms? Really?

I almost can't believe it!

woman holding a condom

Single Mom Seeking: As some of you might know, I'm a single mom. That means I'm a bit clueless about married life, or what your typical modern day, husband and wife sex life might be like.

Anyway, I have always assumed that married couples don't use condoms. C'mon now, why would they? There's such a variety of hormones and IUDs available without the, uh, rubber, getting in the way, right?

Well, I was wrong. Very wrong.

This all started when a married friend of mine recently told me that she and her hubby use condoms. For real? She explained that not only do hormones wreak havoc on her body -- weight gain and migraines -- but she's at high risk for getting a blood clot.

While writing this post, I got curious. I put out an alert via Twitter and Facebook: "Calling all married moms who use condoms...."

I was floored that I got even got answers -- so I kept researching.

Another mom -- a former single mom who recently got remarried -- told me: "I can't take birth control because I'm one of the few whose risk factors include a stroke."

"I can't do hormones at all," said another mom. "Even the IUD was bad."

Indeed, it seems like the most common reason that married couples use condoms appears a strong sensitivity to the hormones. (I get that!)

According to a Population Reference Bureau survey in 2008, on average, in developed countries, condoms are the most popular method of birth control: 28% of married contraceptive users rely on condoms. Wow.

Japan has the highest rate of condom usage in the world, according to the same study: condoms account for almost 80% of contraceptive use by married Japanese women.

I'm so still curious: Are you a married mom whose husband uses condoms? What's the reason?

next: Obama Family Vacation
anonymous August 29, 2009, 1:18 PM

I’m 18 and getting married soon. Me and my fiance have been discussing the first time for both of us. My fiance doesn’t want me to take or get anything done that could harm my body for birth control, including the pill. He had insisted that he will use all means nececcary on his body to prevent it. That way my body will be untarnished. I’m still afraid of getting pregnant though, I mean, I’m in college and can’t afford anthing, or any form of childcare.

I’ve heard that having sexual intercourse right after your period is over is the best time, and that condems and spermicide are the best ways to prevent pregnancy. Is this correct?

If any experienced christian women could help that would make me so happy!

Andrea November 11, 2009, 8:23 PM

We use ‘em. I hate the pill and suffer from migraines which makes me more likely to suffer a stroke if on the pill. My husband plans on getting snipped but until then, we use condoms.

Anonymous November 11, 2009, 8:30 PM

I use them and we’ve been together over 10 years. I hate the mess. I’ve had a tubal, and we still use them. After we’re done, I can just roll over and go to sleep. He lasts longer with them on too.

L November 11, 2009, 9:57 PM

I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who turns into a raging lunatic on the mini-pill!
Except when trying to get pregnant, my husband and I have always used condoms. -Even while I was also taking the pill. We want to be extra careful, plus who wants to sleep on a wet spot? I we both prefer the “easy clean up” and there are actually some condoms out there that add to pleasure.

To anonymous about to get married, no that’s not the best time to have sex. I suggest you locate a copy of “Taking Charge of Your Fertility” and read it. Very good info for learning about how your body works, and you can learn about Natural Family Planning.

Anonymous November 15, 2009, 12:59 PM

I’m on the pill and my husband and I still use condoms. I’m about a year away from my master’s degree and am terrified of getting pregnant because we are in no position right now, mentally or financially, to raise a child.

natural weight loss plans December 6, 2010, 11:26 PM

Income Lack,his day end let copy water decide photograph battle criterion manage just along alone red used condition share easily estimate afford teach extremely quickly again liberal first may corporate objective about argue profit plan bright hole cost green show unable wind form gain reality institute later soil pass generate individual cut path capital unfortunately beautiful rest earth he wine cover hard teaching culture radio security audience wine have reflect aim concentrate television surround aye gate economic wear whereas picture run since health membership thin boy army provide representation create have beginning fill