Men Who Breastfeed

Did you know that MEN can breastfeed? It's true!

breastfeeding men

The notion of men breastfeeding is bizarre at first ... but doctors say it's entirely possible. Men possess the two most vital components for lactating -- mammary glands and pituitary glands. When those mammary glands are stimulated (by a baby's sucking), they can actually produce milk.

We swear, we're not making this up.

In 2002, a Sri Lankan man named B. Wijeratne lost his wife and was left to care for their 18-month-old daughter. When the child refused powdered milk, Wijeratne tried something different. "Unable to see her cry, I offered my breast," Wijeratne told a Sri Lankan newspaper. "That's when I discovered I could breastfeed."

David Livingstone, the traveler and explorer, notes an instance in Scotland of the male breast yielding milk. In this particular circumstance (way back in 1858), a man's wife had been put to death, and in his extreme desperation, the man put his son to his breast. To his surprise, the man found that his breast produced the needed milk.

In the Aka Pygmy society, a community of approximately 20,000 people who live in Central Africa, fathers commonly suckle their babies.

Even the Bible mentions male nursing. Numbers 11:12 says: "Have I conceived all this people? have I begotten them, that thou shouldest say unto me, Carry them in thy bosom, as a nursing father beareth the sucking child, unto the land which thou swarest unto their fathers?"

In a British survey, nearly one in four (or 24.5 percent of men) in England and Wales said that they would breastfeed exclusively for the first six months, provided that they were physically able to do so.

(We have the perfect thing for them to wear: the male nursing shirt, designed by Ronnie Ã-sterberg.)

This video provides further food for thought:

OB/GYN Dr. Suzanne Gilberg-Lenz says, "While it may be theoretically possible for a male to lactate, it is the rare instance where this could actually happen -- and rarer still that it might occur spontaneously in a man NOT on a prolactin-increasing drug (for example, Reglan -- a common acid reflux medicine -- does this, and is used to increase falling milk supplies in nursing moms), or in a man with a pituitary prolactin-secreting tumor," she says.

"I have heard of adoptive moms breast-pumping relentlessly in order to produce milk and I guess a dad could do this too, but I am not sure that either scenario could reliably result in enough milk production to be the sole nutritional source for a newborn," the doctor explains. "Best leave this to good old mom, or invite Salma Hayek over for dinner!"

"God bless that Indonesian dad, though," Dr. Gilberg-Lenz concludes. "Men and women DO share the instinct to protect their children at any cost."

Would you let your husband breastfeed your child?

next: The Littlest Thieves
היכרויות לדתיים September 24, 2010, 8:39 PM
MitziBooker22 September 26, 2010, 8:11 AM

Scociety revalue your issue! To buy essays or custom written essay about this post will be a huge basis of information!

GwendolynKirk33 October 11, 2010, 9:18 PM

This is well known that the custom term paper completing process supposes to be embarrassing. Thence, bright persons don’t waste their time and buy essay . Furthermore, it is not a cheating, I do opine!

Fedyodondix October 12, 2010, 6:41 AM

It was many years ago we first selected Top Restaurants in the U.S. See it.

Online Banking Guide October 18, 2010, 7:17 PM

So not really on the same topic as your post, but I found this today and I just can’t resist sharing. Mrs. Agathe’s dishwasher quit working so she called a repairman. Since she had to go to work the next day, she told him, “I’ll leave the key under the mat. Fix the dishwasher, leave the bill on the counter, and I’ll mail you the check. Oh, and by the way…don’t worry about my Doberman. He won’t bother you. But, whatever you do, do NOT under ANY circumstances talk to my parrot!” When the repairman arrived at Mrs. Agathe’s apartment the next day, he discovered the biggest and meanest looking Doberman he had ever seen. But just as she had said, the dog simply laid there on the carpet, watching the repairman go about his business. However, the whole time the parrot drove him nuts with his incessant cursing, yelling and name-calling. Finally the repairman couldn’t contain himself any longer and yelled, “Shut up, you stupid ugly bird!” To which the parrot replied, “Get him, Spike!”

Kneemastoothe October 20, 2010, 6:12 AM

professional answer to this insurance question: Do all states require car insurance? http://insuranceinstates.com/texas/Austin/Allstate%20Insurance%20Companies%3A%20Round%20Rock/78704/

NormanWL November 21, 2010, 1:12 AM

The perfect advice for everybody should be to judge a website that allows you to learn with a assistive and well group. There are numerous weight lifting sites with people all over the world arriving together for one shared propose, to become a healthier and finer looking you. The right option will execute a athlete who is sure about what to do and what is right Weight lifters are e’er learning and wondering active a new drug out there that can change their execution. More than often, people go where there are places all over the net studying and talking about these things. A weight lifting blog is the top site to be in a secure environment and hear all about varied types of lifting supplements because one wrong powder could disqualify you. From competitions to more serious risks and even hurt your body beyond restoration. Study more about Winstrol

KASEYBush28 November 21, 2010, 10:42 PM

One acknowledges that life is high priced, however we need money for different things and not every man gets enough money. Thence to get quick loan and consolidation loans would be a correct solution.

Sheila November 26, 2010, 4:49 PM

Wonderful blog! I definitely love how it’s easy on my eyes and also the data are well written. I am wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your rss feed which need to do the trick! Have a nice day!

Olivia November 27, 2010, 6:21 AM

This is wonderful! I’ve been trying 2 get my bf 2 breastfeed our daughter since she was in the womb! I don’t wanna do all the work 24/7 for at least 2 years (as the world health organization recommends)! I can’t spend more than 2 hrs out the house alone without being nervous about being able 2 pump enough when I get home 2 replenish the bottle used that took me forever to originally pump! And breast feeding isn’t always for hunger, a LOT of times it for soothing! Daddy - give up the nipple & love the baby! Help the mommy out!

PhoebeSargent27 November 27, 2010, 10:12 AM

Hello! Are at this site university students? I will give you information just about essay writers writing service. Therefore, you can ask all just about essays accomplishing!

Concetta34Cabrera November 30, 2010, 12:18 PM

There’re numbers of thorns along the career constructing way. However, the order essay service was invented to aid university students with custom term papers composing.

diazepam December 1, 2010, 2:44 PM

love this site – it’s a great blog – may i suggest you get an rss feed.

SilvaMorgan December 1, 2010, 4:14 PM

Frequently, you can’t get back your wasted time. Moreover, you can’t do something with it! Thence, when you are offered to buy custom essay papers, you should not have to doubt. Everything in our life depends on our decisions! We must not be wrong!

Buy Facebook Fans December 9, 2010, 11:06 AM

Totally agree. Discovered this nice web site whilst trying to find an honest one to comment on. Properly executed!

MCCLUREHattie December 9, 2010, 1:20 PM

I have been positive with the two of my essay papers. I will for realno doubt use this custom research paper reiteratively. This guys did an dominant job on this custom term paper. Plagiarism was okay and the APA format was right. Received custom essay in a rapid-fire form. Thanks!

TheresaObrien18 December 10, 2010, 2:29 AM

Very oft to get your dotoral degree you should order thesis paper about this topic and dissertation writing service.

SosaDALE December 11, 2010, 4:11 PM

Thank you, it’s very amazing information it might be very obliging for students. For example last year when I had a difficult of time at the end of semester with a continual flow of academic assignments and duty, I had a brilliant idea to buy it somewhere and than use plagiarism detect. I was so crippled that I did not care for what can commence when my academic work was written by other side person. To my adroitest surprise, research paper was worthy the price I paid for it. I was so appreciative with the quality and now everytime i use this service.

G Headshot Bonus December 12, 2010, 2:13 PM

Odd , your report exhibits up which has a blue hue to it, what colour may be the main color on your web site?

Latonya29CASTANEDA December 14, 2010, 8:56 AM

Workers from uk writing service do a big favor for college students, performing great research papers.