Men Who Breastfeed

Did you know that MEN can breastfeed? It's true!

breastfeeding men

The notion of men breastfeeding is bizarre at first ... but doctors say it's entirely possible. Men possess the two most vital components for lactating -- mammary glands and pituitary glands. When those mammary glands are stimulated (by a baby's sucking), they can actually produce milk.

We swear, we're not making this up.

In 2002, a Sri Lankan man named B. Wijeratne lost his wife and was left to care for their 18-month-old daughter. When the child refused powdered milk, Wijeratne tried something different. "Unable to see her cry, I offered my breast," Wijeratne told a Sri Lankan newspaper. "That's when I discovered I could breastfeed."

David Livingstone, the traveler and explorer, notes an instance in Scotland of the male breast yielding milk. In this particular circumstance (way back in 1858), a man's wife had been put to death, and in his extreme desperation, the man put his son to his breast. To his surprise, the man found that his breast produced the needed milk.

In the Aka Pygmy society, a community of approximately 20,000 people who live in Central Africa, fathers commonly suckle their babies.

Even the Bible mentions male nursing. Numbers 11:12 says: "Have I conceived all this people? have I begotten them, that thou shouldest say unto me, Carry them in thy bosom, as a nursing father beareth the sucking child, unto the land which thou swarest unto their fathers?"

In a British survey, nearly one in four (or 24.5 percent of men) in England and Wales said that they would breastfeed exclusively for the first six months, provided that they were physically able to do so.

(We have the perfect thing for them to wear: the male nursing shirt, designed by Ronnie Ã-sterberg.)

This video provides further food for thought:

OB/GYN Dr. Suzanne Gilberg-Lenz says, "While it may be theoretically possible for a male to lactate, it is the rare instance where this could actually happen -- and rarer still that it might occur spontaneously in a man NOT on a prolactin-increasing drug (for example, Reglan -- a common acid reflux medicine -- does this, and is used to increase falling milk supplies in nursing moms), or in a man with a pituitary prolactin-secreting tumor," she says.

"I have heard of adoptive moms breast-pumping relentlessly in order to produce milk and I guess a dad could do this too, but I am not sure that either scenario could reliably result in enough milk production to be the sole nutritional source for a newborn," the doctor explains. "Best leave this to good old mom, or invite Salma Hayek over for dinner!"

"God bless that Indonesian dad, though," Dr. Gilberg-Lenz concludes. "Men and women DO share the instinct to protect their children at any cost."

Would you let your husband breastfeed your child?

next: The Littlest Thieves
Wedding Ceremony In Los Angeles Ca December 18, 2010, 12:35 AM

Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever you can. As a peacemaker the lawyer has superior opportunity of being a good man. There will still be business enough.

Molly December 21, 2010, 9:08 AM

this is exquisite… thanks…

centura slabit December 27, 2010, 4:48 PM

I have been looking the Internet for this information and just wanted to say thanks to u for this post. Also, just off topic, where can i get a copy of this theme? – Regards

Paris Koe December 30, 2010, 2:50 AM

Hi I’m having a trouble visiting your blog, I’m getting 403 pages pretty regularly, I am not far too clear why but when I reload the web page it returns fine.

hello kitty game December 30, 2010, 12:17 PM

May i make a suggestion? There’s no doubt that youve got sth great above. However what if you also provided a couple references towards a page that supports what you’re you said? Or simply you may provide us with some extra information to look at, whatever would connect what exactly you were talking about, something more concrete?

Candy Lawrence December 31, 2010, 3:30 PM

Thanks for the great post! I will be sure to subscribe to your updates from now on.

cura slabire January 3, 2011, 10:52 PM

I have been trying to find the google for this information and just wanted to say thanks to u for the post. Also, just off topic, where can i download a version of this theme? – Thanks

Norine Zappolo January 4, 2011, 5:42 PM

I just adore this site and this post specifically has been a delight. The tips & information posted here has always been top-notch and I’ll be sure to bookmark and come back very soon!

makeup for black women

Winter Engagement Photo Ideas January 6, 2011, 1:33 PM

Breast enlargement without surgery January 8, 2011, 3:57 PM

There are some attention-grabbing closing dates in this article but I don?t know if I see all of them middle to heart. There is some validity however I’ll take hold opinion till I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as properly

usuwanie rozstępów białystok  January 14, 2011, 3:29 AM

very great point. really good post by the way.

2011 fall wedding colors 2 January 15, 2011, 12:58 AM

The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today. Let us move forward with strong and active faith.

generic pills Amoxil January 15, 2011, 4:42 PM

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

Chicken Pox Symptoms January 16, 2011, 3:09 AM

Many thanks for this particular site|valuable piece of writing. I undoubtedly loved reading it and will definitely talk about it with friends.

Maria Karcz January 20, 2011, 5:40 PM

I cant say Im in complete accordance, thanks are in order for having the initiave to think of it

california income tax rates 2011 January 21, 2011, 11:52 PM

He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man I ever met.

Jerome Pickings January 25, 2011, 4:47 AM

Fantastic ideas, props to you for showing the initiative to throw it up

Arden Symkowick January 26, 2011, 9:21 AM

Lovely ideas, props to you for showing the initiative to throw it up

ShereeRodgers35 January 26, 2011, 10:09 AM

Some successful scholars could look through your story connected with this post and just purchase the dissertation idea at the thesis writing service.

AureliaBENTON January 26, 2011, 2:59 PM

Backlinks services provide important facts just about forum posting service. Such facts can be important for site owners who should increase traffic to their internet sites.