Men Who Breastfeed

Did you know that MEN can breastfeed? It's true!

breastfeeding men

The notion of men breastfeeding is bizarre at first ... but doctors say it's entirely possible. Men possess the two most vital components for lactating -- mammary glands and pituitary glands. When those mammary glands are stimulated (by a baby's sucking), they can actually produce milk.

We swear, we're not making this up.

In 2002, a Sri Lankan man named B. Wijeratne lost his wife and was left to care for their 18-month-old daughter. When the child refused powdered milk, Wijeratne tried something different. "Unable to see her cry, I offered my breast," Wijeratne told a Sri Lankan newspaper. "That's when I discovered I could breastfeed."

David Livingstone, the traveler and explorer, notes an instance in Scotland of the male breast yielding milk. In this particular circumstance (way back in 1858), a man's wife had been put to death, and in his extreme desperation, the man put his son to his breast. To his surprise, the man found that his breast produced the needed milk.

In the Aka Pygmy society, a community of approximately 20,000 people who live in Central Africa, fathers commonly suckle their babies.

Even the Bible mentions male nursing. Numbers 11:12 says: "Have I conceived all this people? have I begotten them, that thou shouldest say unto me, Carry them in thy bosom, as a nursing father beareth the sucking child, unto the land which thou swarest unto their fathers?"

In a British survey, nearly one in four (or 24.5 percent of men) in England and Wales said that they would breastfeed exclusively for the first six months, provided that they were physically able to do so.

(We have the perfect thing for them to wear: the male nursing shirt, designed by Ronnie Ã-sterberg.)

This video provides further food for thought:

OB/GYN Dr. Suzanne Gilberg-Lenz says, "While it may be theoretically possible for a male to lactate, it is the rare instance where this could actually happen -- and rarer still that it might occur spontaneously in a man NOT on a prolactin-increasing drug (for example, Reglan -- a common acid reflux medicine -- does this, and is used to increase falling milk supplies in nursing moms), or in a man with a pituitary prolactin-secreting tumor," she says.

"I have heard of adoptive moms breast-pumping relentlessly in order to produce milk and I guess a dad could do this too, but I am not sure that either scenario could reliably result in enough milk production to be the sole nutritional source for a newborn," the doctor explains. "Best leave this to good old mom, or invite Salma Hayek over for dinner!"

"God bless that Indonesian dad, though," Dr. Gilberg-Lenz concludes. "Men and women DO share the instinct to protect their children at any cost."

Would you let your husband breastfeed your child?

next: The Littlest Thieves
debt consolidation March 15, 2011, 10:51 PM

Between me and my husband we’ve owned more MP3 players over the years than I can count, including Sansas, iRivers, iPods (classic & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc. But, the last few years I’ve settled down to one line of players. Why? Because I was happy to discover how well-designed and fun to use the underappreciated (and widely mocked) Zunes are.

Criminal Attorneys Los Angeles March 22, 2011, 10:54 AM

My companion and I actually enjoyed reading this weblog submit, I used to be just itching to know do you trade featured posts? I am at all times looking for somebody to make trades with and merely thought I’d ask.

Dexter Tullison March 25, 2011, 10:22 PM

hotels in cheltenham March 29, 2011, 2:50 AM

A contaminated colon will lead to chronic ill health. The colon may become toxic because of diet, stress, less sleep, irregular bowel movements, bad habits and chemicals.

Sophie Decos March 29, 2011, 4:54 PM

As a Newbie, I am always browsing online for articles that can help me. Thank you

Margaret A. Vaughn March 31, 2011, 3:18 AM

Useful

tabletki na pryszcze April 3, 2011, 7:25 AM

I’m glad, that i found your site, there are a couple of interesting articles

What a relief to learn a piece of paper that may perhaps be ultimately in reality importance reading! I’ve been seeking all-around concerning this matter but men and women just put waste posts, or short meaningless posts. I have looked at a couple vids on youtube but it’s now the identical as reading a good article.

online degree in psychology April 4, 2011, 4:13 AM

Welcome to RugsUSA.com, America’s online area rug superstore for contemporary rugs, outdoor rugs, Flokati shags, leather rugs, children rugs, Oriental and Persian rugs, and a wide range of accessories for the home.

KRISTINAMcdaniel April 4, 2011, 10:07 PM

Click academic writing jobs service if you want know a lot about this topic.

JACLYNBattle April 6, 2011, 12:06 PM

Are you making a fuss attempting to manage with papers creating? You should not to perform that! Chill out! Just buy custom essays and everything will be perfect.

Benedict Yontz April 7, 2011, 1:08 AM

The good article helped me a lot! Saved the site, extremely interesting categories everywhere that I see here! I really like the information, thank you.

ipod touch speakers April 7, 2011, 4:22 AM

We offer the best practical and most applicable solutions. All our Sydney plumbers are experienced and qualified and are able to quickly assess your problem and find the best solution.

Barry I. King April 8, 2011, 7:14 AM

Interesting

I normally don’t respond on websites but you contain a little superior comprehensible post.

Marshalltown RED700290 32-Inch Sharp April 9, 2011, 8:33 AM

Can I just answer what a relief toward find someone who truly is familiar with what theyre talking regarding on the online world. You definitely recognize how to transport an issue to glow plus construct it significant. Extra people must to study this and appreciate this side of the narrative. I cant consider youre not extra fashionable since you definitely contain the gift.

I like this information shown and it has given me some sort of commitment to have success for some reason, so thanks.

www.momlogic.com May 24, 2011, 11:24 PM