Obama Daughters Featured in Controversial Food Ad

Fox News: A controversial ad campaign featured in the Washington, D.C., metro area is comparing public school lunches across the country to what President Obama's daughters eat at their elite private school.

Obamaad270.jpg
MyFOXDC.com reports that the ad, sponsored by Physicians Committee For Responsible Medicine, shows an eight-year-old girl speaking about the "healthy" vegetarian lunch choices Sasha and Malia Obama have at Sidwell Friends -- a Quaker private school in Northwest Washington, D.C.

The girl then asks, "Why don't I?"

The ad also claims that children in public schools are more likely to be fed meat and cheese products, according to the station.

While the ad is part of a campaign to petition Congress to require healthier foods in schools, Politico newspaper reports that "targeting" the Obama girls is no way to win friends at the White House.

"This is not the way to win the heart of the president," Brookings Institution Governance Studies Director Darrell West told Politico. "It's dangerous to target Obama's daughters because many people view family members as off limits for political advocacy. That's especially relevant in this case because his daughters are so young."

Read more hot stories moms are talking about.

next: You Might Think Best on Sunny Days
Kristen August 7, 2009, 12:46 PM

The last time I checked Obama and his wife are BOTH college educated and can AFFORD that private school. The last time I checked if you make more money then you get to reap the benefits of that. I understand giving kids healthy lunches in school is important but DON’T target his kids, or anyone else who is rich and can afford those schools kids. This is ridiculous.

Anonymous August 7, 2009, 2:53 PM

Really, what does that have to do with it. I’m college educated and I chose to have my kids go to public schools. I’m willing to pay the price for more expensive vegetables and fruit. It’s just that the schools don’t offer it. This ad basically is requesting that public schools offer better choices for the kids. Plenty of parents would be willing to pay, even if it meant that those items would be ala carte. They are just not offered or they are offered to a select few.

Kristen August 7, 2009, 2:58 PM

Anonymous, if you want your kids to have these items then pack there lunch. Public schools already have enough to deal with. Oh and I love your comment about parents being willing to pay for it if it was available, give me a break, all the parents would do is GRIPE about how expensive it is(because fresh can be expensive) and that they should get it for free…..life is NOT free.

Anonymous August 7, 2009, 3:19 PM

Since when are family members off limits? I saw what they did to Palin’s kids.

No matter how much money I make, my kids will go to public schools. As for the cost of fresh fruit & veggies: If Obama wants to give America free health care perhaps it would be cheaper to just feed our kids better and they’ll get sick less often. For now, I’ll keep letting my children pack their lunches.

Steph August 7, 2009, 4:07 PM

Children in the White House have always been considered off-limits, even the Bush twins. Don’t even pretend that this has to do with party lines, anonymous. Most of the time politicians don’t parade their children around and use them as springboards to push their own agenda.

Nell August 7, 2009, 4:32 PM

I see why this would anger other moms. It isn’t fair that the richer child gets to eat better. However, this has ALWAYS been the case since the beginning of time. It’s nothing new. Besides that, the tuition is 29K. For twenty-nine thousand dollars a year, I would want my kids to have a choice of filet mignon. LOL! But, seriously, all that YOU can do is make sure that YOU are giving your kids the best any other time that they aren’t at school. Is everyone doing that?

bob August 11, 2009, 3:30 PM

wow -_-
who cares what they eat?
At least they get to eat at all… they should be thankful for that

RR August 12, 2009, 1:43 AM

Most public schools participate in the National School Lunch program (NSL). This program already emphasizes fresh fruits and vegetables. Each lunch must include 2 servings of fruit and/or vegetables; 1 or more servings of grains (whole grains emphasized); 2 oz. of meat or meat alternate (such as beans or cheese); and 1 cup of milk.
The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine is a group who wants healthy meals to be vegetarian - they give poor scores to meals that include meat products.
School food service programs work hard to provide healthy low fat meals that the majority of students will eat. They already offer fresh fruits and vegetables most of the time. Students want hamburgers and chicken nuggets - these are provided in low fat baked varieties.

While eating vegetarian is a healthy life choice, healthy meals also include meats and dairy. Children need to be encouraged to actually EAT the fruits and vegetables offered them.

Jessica August 13, 2009, 10:34 AM

Of course the Obama girls should be off-limits. Wonder what black parent allowed this agency to use their black daughter to make their point. Also, I agree with an earlier post that said PARENTS should pack their kids lunches if they want them to have healthy foods. The Obamas PAY out of their own pockets for their daugthers education. If you want to send your kid to a $30k a year school to make sure they get healthy lunches, then do that. If you can’t afford to do that, then pack their lunch and that way you can be sure they are eating healthy.

Anonymous August 13, 2009, 10:36 AM

To the person who mentioned Palin’s kids. Sarah Palin is responsible for her kids being “out there”. She knew her daughter was pregnant but yet she CHOSE to run for VP knowing her daughter would be ridiculed. She threw Bristol under the bus. The press and public just sat back and took advantage of it.