Octomom: Delusional, Disconnected and Disgusting

Last night's documentary shook this psychologist to the core.

nadya suleman octomom unseen footage

Dr. Michelle Golland: I actually feel dirty after watching last night's documentary on Octomom.We only needed to see the video of the birth and Nadya Suleman's entitled and unconscionableattitude while in the delivery room to know this was going to be a very bad situation.There was no regard for the health and welfare of those tiny babies who were in critical condition.The moment they were pulled from Nadya's womb, theexploitation of these poor children began.Her total disregard for the babies and her other children was evident early on.

I am disgusted and frightened by her delusional thinking and total disconnect from emotion except when in "terror" about her oldest son missing when she is on the phone to 911. Otherwise, Nadya's flat affect appeared odd.It wasn't a calm, in control, motherly attitude but a disconnected and very numb person I watched tonight.

The only person who seemed to be expressing the appropriate feeling for the entire situation was little Caleb, who was angry and acting out the entire two hours.He was hitting the cameras and the cameraman constantly, almost begging for them to stop filming him.He has every right to be completely enraged at the situation his irresponsible mother has put him and all of his siblings in with her reckless and naïve choices.

Nadya Suleman appears to be stunted emotionally.I felt like I was watching a teenager raising 14 kids with a bunch of nannies helping her hold it all together.The exchanges between her mother and herself were so filled with tension and justified anger on her mother's side.I couldn't help but empathize with her mom and feeling like she had raised a completely out-of-control narcissistic person.I am sure she is going over in her mind the choices she made with Nadya along the way.

There was a moment where I think we saw the "real" Nadya. It was when she was asked about the biological father and her sexual relationships.Her responses were so immature and strange, giddy almost,that it became even clearer that she is a woman who is deeply emotionally disturbed.I am truly sad for all of these kids and frightened for thier emotional and physical well-being more than ever after watching last night's show.

I am disgusted at the doctor who, even after Nadya's parents expressed great concern for her having more children, went ahead with the in-vitro process.You can see Nadya's mother's true concern that she would try to get pregnant again.With how disturbed I believe Nadya Suleman is, I wouldn't put it past her to get pregnant again.She is trying to fill a need that will never be met even with the amount of attention she is receiving because having the babies was never the solution.The solution should be to deal with her true issues of anger, sadness and loneliness, not tobring baby after baby into the world believing the next one will make it all better, will make her feel complete.Nadya will never be complete.

next: Seven Busted for Slipping Tourists a Mickey with Bad Tickets
Gail Cooke August 20, 2009, 12:43 PM

I saw it on the tv schedule as I was flipping through channels…I watched Top Chef instead. Sad, sad day when tv airs this kind of garbage. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, those kids should be removed from her care.

Anonymous August 20, 2009, 1:19 PM

I’m a reality show junkie and even I couldn’t get myself to want to watch this show.

B.A.Catino August 20, 2009, 1:43 PM

Instead of everyone putting Octomom down and criticizing her at this after-birth time, people should be offering support and understanding and even donating money if possible. The future of the children is more important than all the criticism I have been hearing!

Gail Cooke August 20, 2009, 2:05 PM

Ba Catin: Support her? I don’t think so. She willfully did this to herself and now has cast the curse of her existence upon her children. The best thing to do would be to take her kids and she can find her own way to pay for her therapy. Why should others have to pay for her folly? Why should good and responsible people allow her to sponge off of them? Shameful, shameful, shameful.

Rachel August 20, 2009, 2:13 PM

Then end was just heartbreaking. She was “introducing” each of the babies and they were all spread out on the floor - many crying. It was a sequence of several minutes and there wasn’t anything being done to comfort the babies, etc. It was chaos.

concerned August 20, 2009, 2:14 PM

The women is crazy and should be locked up. Someone like that you cant support she is a attention junky who is just looking for fame and money she does not care about those kids.

Lisa August 20, 2009, 3:15 PM

Wondering if momlogic or anyone will report on Suleman’s fertility doctor. Haven’t heard anything about him since the story broke. Curious.

Jill (the other one) August 20, 2009, 4:49 PM

That bothered me too, Rachel. Constant screaming and not even a nanny popped in to console any of them. So sad.

ame i. August 20, 2009, 4:50 PM

I would not give her one penny. Her kids deserve to grow up knowing what kind of person she is.

Anonymous August 20, 2009, 9:10 PM

It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s Octo Mom!

limaris August 21, 2009, 12:16 AM

I agree about her being soo irresponsible. Another question on my mind is how the HELL is she getting the money for that house and the renovations. And tell me another thing I had a baby 5 months ago and my stomach does not look as flat as hers and I also had a C-section. instead of wasting her money on herself she should save it for her kids therapy. also how the F@*& did she get the money for the IVF? So many questions on my mind…. I just feel sorry for her older kids their crying for attention and their not getting it. I have 3 and is hard i cant imagine 14 and all so young. I dont feel SORRY for her I feel sympathy for HER KIDS. They dont have no fault about their mothers decision,

Kel August 21, 2009, 2:30 AM

BA Cantino: Are you SERIOUS? We should reward this woman’s bad choices? Are you seriously telling me that’s a great idea?

She’s getting plenty of support by pimping out her children. She doesn’t need my hard earned cash. I’ll give it to St. Jude where the children are literally dying for the money.

jay bar August 21, 2009, 3:50 AM

While your article was well written and you made really great points… The fifth paragraph, fourth sentence went across like a nail on a chalkboard.

It is “Their” not thIEr!

ez duz it August 21, 2009, 5:26 AM

I hate that anyone watches this stuff, the more air time she gets the more they will give. The more you watch every little stupid thing some network/cable airs, the more they want to put out there.Don’t watch this nut job, not anything about her. That gets the advertisers to quit, that makes the networks stop.

stoli August 21, 2009, 1:04 PM

To me, the most alarming memory she had of her mother was making her ride home in the trunk of her car when she got sprayed by a skunk. Nadya gleefully told of how she laughed every time her mom’s body rolled around in the trunk as she slammed on her brakes and swerved, then pretended to have an accident. This is not normal behavior, and demonstrates what she’s capable of when she wants her own way.

fizywelko January 20, 2011, 5:30 AM

Real healthy record for me, Staleness hold that you are one of the best bloggers I ever saw.Thanks for transmittal this consultive article
bar stools