Parents Sue to Keep Kids From Having to Be Nice to Gays

Babble: You know all those schools being sued for NOT protecting kids from bullying? A California school district is another boat going in the other direction. Parents are suing the Alameda schools for requiring their kids learn to BE NICE to other kids. Gasp!

rainbow flag and school bus

Of course these kids aren't any old kids - they're lesbian, gay and transgender kids who the school district dares to think should be protected from getting their asses kicked on the playground. Yes, dear readers, they're teaching kids to be nice to the fags!

And their parents want none of it. They're suing on the basis of religious freedom to keep their kids OUT of the anti-bullying workshops. The district has thus far said no to requests that their kids be allowed to opt out, prompting the parents to decry indoctrination into the gay lifestyle.

Because a teacher telling your kid not to call the other kid a queer is tantamount to telling your son to go kiss the other little boy on the lips, right?

I'm willing to grant that not everyone "agrees" with homosexuality (whether or not I agree with THEM is another issue). But I'm hard-pressed to see how telling kids not to say hurtful things to other kids, not to physically hurt other kids, etc. is indoctrination into another lifestyle. I wouldn't let my child kick an evangelical Christian . . . that doesn't mean I'm training her to become one.

If these parents are so afraid their kids are going to encounter a bit of gayness in the world, I think it's time they home school, how 'bout you?

next: Is Your Teen Starting College? Watch This!
Beth August 14, 2009, 6:14 PM

There seems to be a level of paranoia on that side of the political spectrum that is truly frightening. I’m really disturbed by the lengths some go to in defense of their opinions and feelings.

If we look at the evangelical role models though, I can see why they would be concerned about their children being taught that bullying is wrong. They don’t call it a bully pulpit for nothing.

Anonymous August 14, 2009, 7:07 PM

as long as they can make fun of jews its fine with me

Briellis August 14, 2009, 7:59 PM

Yaaaaaay for the gays.

Bill August 14, 2009, 10:15 PM

I wonder if God made a big ‘oops’ in leaving anything to the Heterosexual to protect???

ESPECIALLY the children.

Rachelle August 16, 2009, 10:58 AM

I believe in tolerence, and kindness to anyone who is kind. But one thing that has bothered me recently is the bashing of heterosexuals who stand up and publicly say they do not believe in homosexuality as a lifestyle (i.e. gay marriage). Miss California and the battle with Perez Hilton comes to mind…

Debbie T. August 24, 2009, 7:38 PM

Teaching your children ANYTHING other than treating other people with dignity and respect is bad parenting.
Some kids will eventually get a clue and others will be poisoned forever.

Joe August 25, 2009, 12:37 PM

Rachelle, what does “lifestyle” mean? That makes no sense. Gay people just want the same thing all people want, to live their lives and try to find happiness with the person they love. Is that so hard to understand?

Frannie August 27, 2009, 5:16 PM

Rachelle, I don’t support your lifestyle of being ignorant enough to suggest that homosexuality is a “lifestyle”. Living at the beach and surfing is a “lifestyle”. Dressing goth is a “lifestyle”. I assume you are straight- is that a “lifestyle”? Do you CHOOSE to be straight, or are you genetically hard wired to be straight? I would guess it’s not merely a “choice” for you, much like it is not a “choice” for homosexuals- it is ingrained in their DNA, and they don’t have a “choice” about it. After all, do you think someone would “choose” a “lifestyle” that would put them in the crosshairs of people such as the people in this article? I doubt it. My point is, it’s not a choice or a lifestyle- it’s who they are. Nobody should be discriminated against for who they are, whether it’s their “choice” or not. And I hate Perez Hilton, but it was his right to not vote for Carrie Prejean because she’s a homophobe. I’d have done the same damn thing. I can’t believe any of this is still up for debate. Don’t like gay sex? DON’T HAVE IT. Mind your own damn business and shut the f*** up.

Anonymous September 1, 2009, 8:45 PM

since it’s none of my business that you’re having gay sex, stop proclaiming it & i’ll shut up about it. don’t tell me about it & I won’t dislike you for it. I don’t tell you what i do in my sex life & I don’t wanna know what you do in yours (gay or straight)

Debbie I September 3, 2009, 8:59 PM

Shame on those parents! They are the ones that seem to need the class the most because they seem to have no class. I feel sorry for their children because they will be the ones that grow up to be the bullies a lesson learned from their own parents.

Debbie I September 3, 2009, 9:00 PM

Robert September 4, 2009, 6:51 AM

@ 8:45 — No one’s proclaiming that this has anything to do with being open about one’s sex life. It’s about respecting one another for his/her/their IDENTITY, not who they choose to sleep with. The private/sexual aspect of anyone’s relationship is easy enough to ignore, gay or straight…

Randy September 5, 2009, 6:36 AM

@8:45 commenter: As soon as you mention you’re married, you’re “announcing” your sexual behavior. Gays want the same rights - to walk down the street hand-in-hand without fear of assault, to have our relationships formalized and recognized by the government, and to be allowed to love in peace. Sometimes, in order to be left alone, one has to shout a bit… the civil rights movement wouldn’t be where it is today without the march on Selma, would it?

baffled September 8, 2009, 5:01 PM

im not gay, it was not my genetic makeup when i was born. i consider that fortunate. i don’t believe that the school system has any right to force children, against their parents will, into “sensitivity” classes to accept homosexuality.

now that being said….there shouldn’t be any more of a need, nor demand, for sensitivity classes for hetero kids then there should be for homosexual kids to have to go to sensitivity classes. when i was in school, sexuality was deterred. it wasn’t meant for the school yard. maybe that mentality should be adopted again. if someone wants to hurt someone they will, if they choose not to like a certain someone, they wont. its how it happens. thats life.

i think that this is just a rediculous waste of time and money. gays want to be accepted in society but now they ride in a protective custody bus….come one people.

Anonymous September 8, 2009, 5:55 PM

People should not be respected for lifestyles, life choices, ethnicity, patriotism, etc.

People should be respected for being people. Anything to the contrary is just wrong.

concerned globalist  September 8, 2009, 6:42 PM

Hmm, California keeps surprising me …

Matt September 9, 2009, 6:04 AM

The issue is not that they want the gay children (if there is such thing) harrased, but that the school district is putting the kids through training that specifically teaches that being Gay is OK. This obviously has religious implications that, according to the constitution, need to be kept our of the schools.

don September 10, 2009, 3:42 PM

I want my kids to learn that being gay is a sin and they are going to hell. Also, I want them to learn how to deal with gays in the real world…by being comfortable beating the hell out of him. Gays are disgusting and any open display from them offends me. Time to quit buying into them being accepted. They should not feel comfortable in regular society and should feel ashamed of their life style.

Regan September 10, 2009, 10:48 PM

Don - absolutely. disgusting. I feel very sad for your children. Have you no remorse for anything you just typed? Ever read about Matthew Shepard’s life? Try having some emotion, and a damn heart. And for anyone who claims that homosexuals should just sit down and shut up, Don’s comment is exactly why everyone, homosexual or heterosexual, needs to fight to protect the safety of children, no matter what sexual orientation.

ethan September 10, 2009, 11:15 PM

Frannie sounds like a fat lesbian who only says she’s a lesbian because no boys wanted her, not that all lesbians are like that, but let’s not pretend that some aren’t.