Practicing proper hygiene is extremely important. Since there are so many germs and bacteria both in and out of your home, a mother needs to be equipped with a basic knowledge of proper hygiene. Here are some general tips to keep in mind:
- Children learn by touch, and will put their hands on almost anything, so make sure those little fingers are clean.
- Hand washing is the number-one way to prevent infection.
- As for the rest of the body, bath time will keep your little one shiny and clean.
- Bathe your baby twice a week. Bathing more often can irritate his or her sensitive skin.
- Always use a mild soap and a tear-free baby shampoo that won't sting the eyes. Be sure to avoid bubble baths, as they can cause skin irritation.
- Proper hygiene doesn't stop here, so be sure to brush those little teeth to stop cavities and prevent diseases.
- Use a children's toothpaste and, even before they grow teeth, regularly swipe their gums with a cloth to keep their mouths clean and healthy.
- Of course, a little dirt can be a good thing. A certain amount of exposure to germs and bacteria can help babies build their immune systems. You don't want a dirty baby, but excessive cleaning and antibacterial solutions are not necessary either.
- Just remember, hygiene means health, so take care of your baby from head to toe!