See Angelina Breastfeeding ... Sort Of

A new sculpture of the celebrity mama is about to be unveiled.

Landmark for Breastfeeding

In September, for World Breastfeeding Week, a life-size park bench sculpture of Angelina Jolie, nude, with her twin babies, by New York artist Daniel Edwards will be unveiled just minutes from Brad Pitt's own birthplace in the Oklahoma City metro area before its fall exhibition in London.

"Landmark for Breastfeeding," inspired by last year's cover of W magazine featuring Angelina Jolie breastfeeding her baby, depicts a seated nude Jolie double-breastfeeding twins. The bronze statue demonstrates the "football-hold," an accepted technique for breastfeeding two babies simultaneously.

In recognition of the global effort to encourage breastfeeding, one twin is depicted as being of African descent. Future castings of the statue will represent other world cultures through variations of the babies' patina coloring.

"We believe the statue sends a beautiful message by promoting the acceptance of public breastfeeding. Mothers should be encouraged to nurture their babies anywhere," said Sandy Wilson of Phantom-Financial.

"Hopefully, my sculpture inspires an increase of wet nurses to assist women who have concerns about mastitis, or passing HIV to their infant," said artist Daniel Edwards, from his Connecticut studio where the Jolie statue currently resides.

"La Leche League International and Loretta McCallister have been very helpful," said project coordinator Cory Allen. "We are applying for approval to put 'Landmark for Breastfeeding' on permanent display in a metro area park."

The Jolie monument will be unveiled September 11th at MAINSITE Contemporary Art in Norman, Oklahoma.

A cast of the sculpture is expected to be auctioned by Sotheby's on October 7th for the New York Academy of Art's annual "Take Home a Nude" art auction, after being displayed at Holster Projects in London's West End.

"Landmark for Breastfeeding," a short film documenting the project by filmmaker Dave Smith, has been posted on YouTube:

Edwards's past works of celebrity motherhood include "Monument to Pro-Life," featuring Britney Spears giving birth on a bearskin rug, and "Octomom: String of Babies."

What do you think of this sculpture of Angelina?

next: Antidepressant Use Doubles in U.S.
Sierra Black August 4, 2009, 7:20 PM

That’s wonderful. I love the idea of stumbling across that statue on a park bench.

T August 4, 2009, 7:38 PM

This is horrible. I am absolutely 100% FOR breastfeeding- in public, even, but this is incredibly invasive. Did Angelina pose for this sculpture and okay it? Because if some strange guy made a sculpture of ME naked and feeding my child a lawsuit would be the least of his worries.

Christy M. August 4, 2009, 7:48 PM

Hmmmm. I’m not really sure how I feel. I’m 100% pro-breastfeeding. I believe every woman has a right to breastfeed in public, as well. What feels unrealistic to me about this statue is the fact that she is nude and breastfeeding. Not that I never breastfed in the nude at home, but certainly not in public on a park bench.

Sara August 4, 2009, 10:46 PM

No way, crossing the line. Breastfeed in public, that is fine but we do not need a nude statue to stare at and attempt to explain to our children. Can’t she be clothed and breastfeeding? It would still get the message across if they feel a statue really is the way to go. If anything I think the whole nudity aspect of the statue just makes it more of a sexualizing thing and that is one of the big reasons women choose to not breastfeed or do not get support, because breasts are looked at as sexual.

Nicole August 5, 2009, 12:00 AM

I just wonder what Angelina thinks of it?

Breastfeeding Twin Mama August 5, 2009, 3:43 AM

Breastfeeding is a beautiful, natural, NORMAL thing to do. Such a public celebration of women feeding their babies in the natural manner, especially featuring an iconic figure like Angelina, is a wonderful societal message.

anonymous August 5, 2009, 6:12 AM

It’s ok to breastfeed in public in the park but not NAKED! Couldn’t they just put Angelina in maternity clothes, now that’d be better to look at.

Tracey August 5, 2009, 7:51 AM

I think that this displays everything that we are trying to move away from regarding breastfeeding. There is no need of her being naked that just feeds into the discomfort people have about breastfeeding. She certainly doesn’t look like she is relaxed and enjoying her babies during this experience. I am very disappointed.

Gigohead  August 5, 2009, 9:16 AM

It also looks like Octomom so I’m turned off by this statue. There is nothing nurturing about it either. How disappointing.

anon August 5, 2009, 10:45 AM

pro-breastfeeding mom here. in public when appropriately draped (although I chose to use bottle in public since baby 1 month) but this crosses the line. Any breastfeeding statue of modern times, the woman needs to be properly draped (wear whatever you want) …. so as to not make the public uncomfortable, yes the public. If mom is comfortable not being draped properly, that also crosses the line. There are wonderful options now to drape mom w/o appearance of hiding baby or the fact that one is nursing.

Lyn August 5, 2009, 10:50 AM

Breastfeeding is a wonderful thing.
This statue just takes it to a new low. It’s a mockery to motherhood.

velcromom August 5, 2009, 11:28 AM

I encourage women to nurse in public, unhidden and uncovered if they would rather, but I find this statue kinda dumb. The problem isn’t that she’s nursing in public, it’s that she’s naked in public. On a park bench. Um, nope. The statue would make more sense if she was reclined nursing, with hints of sheets draped behind her, as if she were on her bed with her babies. But on a bench, naked, with naked babies?? It’s taken breastfeeding out of context and made everyone go, “what?”.

birdsfly August 5, 2009, 2:40 PM

I think the point is to express the natural beauty of the human body and the beauty of the bond between mother and child. Do we need to sensor the statue of David too?

cyndi August 5, 2009, 3:30 PM