Wasted Youth: College Freshmen Gone Wild

What really goes on during a kids' first year of college? Momlogic investigates.

For the first 18 years of their lives, we guide and protect our kids in the safety of our homes, but what happens when they head off to college and leave the nest for the very first time? We wanted to find out what they're really up to during those first few weeks of total, unchaperoned independence.

We followed real college freshmen to dorms, parties, and frat houses for an uncensored look into what college life is really like -- and what we learned will shock you.

Last year, the average American household income was $50,233. The average price of a private, four-year college is $25,143 per year. If your child is a college freshman, do you know where all your money is going? We didn't either ... until now.

Parents' hard-earned money isn't just going to books, dorms, and classes ... it's also financing drinking, drugs and dangerous sex.

We were rocked to the core by what we saw, so we were compelled to dig deeper. We surveyed 2,500 college freshmen from around the country about what really happens on campus.

Over the next five days, momlogic explores campus life from a freshman's perspective. If you have a kid in college -- you need to see this. Momlogic's experts will provide you with a step-by-step action plan on how to talk to your kid about the dangers of campus life. Check back every day this week for our five-part series: Wasted Youth: What Freshman Year in College is REALLY Like.

next: McDonald's Serving Racism with Burgers?
Josh Tucker August 17, 2009, 1:27 PM

Not sure why this shocks you so much. It’s been obvious for countless years that this is what kids are up to in college. Your little angel is never as good as you think.

nikolas šveikauskas August 17, 2009, 8:25 PM

this documentary portrays the stupidest, most foolish, and most immature people on a college campus. sure, that does mean approximately half of the populous, but if your kid has half a mind, this won’t happen to him/her.

Allison August 18, 2009, 8:22 AM

Stupid. Seriously, if you have a child that’s going to college soon, don’t waste your time even watching the video. Even college is different, every child is different.

The Fury August 18, 2009, 11:07 AM

Just remind your kids of your values and what you expect of them. Also write them a letter expressing how proud you are of them. The link below is an example.

Leeza August 19, 2009, 8:53 AM

This behavior of binge drinking and wild sexual behavior is not limited to college freshmen.It’s everywhere that easy accessability to alcohol and drugs are found,combined with no parents or authority figures present.Concerts,football games,house parties,bars (if over 21).This behavior is dangerous in any setting or age group.Unfortunately,18 year olds are in the most danger of tragic results after binge drinking, because they don’t yet know their own limits, let alone the power of hard liquor.Most colleges don’t allow freshmen (who live on campus) to bring their car to campus the first year.Thats a great thing!There’s still alot more that needs to be taught to all 18 yr. olds that binge drink. They shouldn’t learn after a tragedy. They should learn how to “prevent” a tragedy , so it never happens!

Dolph August 24, 2009, 8:44 PM

The first post is right, this is old news. Most of these girls probably started drinking in high school. If your little rugrat just started drinking in college, consider yourself lucky.

akumaxkami August 30, 2009, 3:40 AM

Each college campus is different and each student is different.

I think this is why letting your child foot the bill for college, collect loans themselves or apply for scholarships makes it less likely they’ll engage in this sort of behavior.

If mommy and daddy are paying for college for them, they don’t really care where the money goes. In essence, it’s “not their problem”.

Wyndham September 3, 2009, 1:10 PM

As a college sophomore, I’d like to throw in my two cents. I attended a Private University in Philadelphia, where a good 50% of the kids grew up going to private schools as well. I sheltering your kids and giving them curfews, and tons of rules in high school only makes for a bigger rebellion in college. I grew up going back in forth between my parents. Once I was 16 I didn’t have a curfew, so long as I told them where I was, who I was with, and let them know when I was home. My parents had agreed that it was how I would learn right and wrong. I took full advantage of it the first few weeks, but soon learned that indeed I needed some self responsibility. I went to bed at a reasonable hour, I called my parents if I was at a party and needed a ride. They let me be my own free spirit. I got a job, did well in school, and upon entering college, it was no where near “My first night with no curfew or parents!” Some of the girls I went to school with were absolutely ridiculous…they wanted to party EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. Of course, because it was a new found freedom.

My advice: Set some rules, but not a whole lot. Talk to your kids about sex and drugs. Tell them to CALL if they need a ride. You’re there to make sure that they are safe, not to dictate their lives.

cheapviagra527 August 30, 2010, 8:15 AM
Allison White September 28, 2010, 9:03 AM

Paris Hilton is such a hoe i just saw her NEW SEX TAPE !!

Tv Cable Providers In Atlanta Ga November 25, 2010, 12:53 AM

Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward.

valium December 1, 2010, 2:36 PM

The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought youd have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy looking for attention.

Purchase Facebook Fans December 9, 2010, 1:41 PM

Hey , I was just moving through the internet Searching for some information and came across your blog. I am fascinated by the information that you have on this site. It shows how good you know this subject. I saved this post, might come back for more reading. You, my buddy, ROCK!

Bridal Shower Games For The Groom December 18, 2010, 12:32 AM

There are only two ways of telling the complete truth—anonymously and posthumously.

cura slabire January 3, 2011, 8:52 PM

I was beeing scouring the google for such information and i wanted to say thanks to u for the post. BTW, just off topic, where can i get a version of this theme? – Regards

Breast enlargement without surgery January 9, 2011, 6:30 PM

Hiya! I just wish to give a huge thumbs up for the great information you could have here on this post. I can be coming back to your weblog for extra soon.

cura de slabire January 11, 2011, 7:27 PM

I was been after the Web for such information and i wanted to thank you for the post. BTW, just off topic, how can i find a version of this theme? – 10x

Jailbreak iPhone 4 4.1 January 12, 2011, 1:31 PM

Thanks for the awesome post – I loved reading it!

Jailbreak iPhone 4G January 13, 2011, 11:31 AM

Good article, thanks! I really love it!

Hostel January 14, 2011, 4:20 PM

Great post, thanks. I just signed up to your rss feed!