Who's Cool ... or Is It Hot?

Candy Spelling: I live a couple of blocks from UCLA, and I like to listen to the slang the students use when I'm walking around the campus or in the local coffee or yogurt stores. I think it helps me keep up with what's hot and what's not, or what's cool and what's a fool, or whatever the current language is for what's really good and hip.

college students in a coffee shop

The more I walked my dog around campus and Westwood Village, the better I got at high-fiving and low-fiving and making secret hand gestures with my fingers. I fantasized I might be able to shave a few years off my age if I could make the right moves and utter the proper phrases. I was stylin'.

So, you can imagine how delighted I was when I found out that UCLA students -- my own neighbors -- released a list that even today's "didiots" (stupid people, like me) could follow to find out what's right in today's slang. Could I become a total "G" (impressive person) by using the right words? Would I feel young and hip and cool, able to converse with the local college students?

With a nod to UCLA and its 20th anniversary list, and USA Today, I want to share what I've been learning. Stay with me, mamas. Chillax, and get G with me.

• Awkward turtle -- It's not a tipsy reptile, but a comment made in an awkward situation, normally not addressed to the one causing the awkwardness.

Booty call -- Not back-to-school shoe shopping, but a request for sexual favors.

• Roll mad deep -- Unlike that famous fight on my husband's show, "Dynasty," this actually means to go out with a large bunch of people.

• Split game -- Not a sports term, but meaning to flirt with someone or get him interested in you.

• Sister from another mister -- No, your mother wasn't fooling around. This is for that close friend who feels like she could be a sibling.

• Skrilla -- I had no clue about this one, but heard it in stores. It means "money."

The only thing I didn't find out is if "awesome" is finally on its way out. Guess I'll have to return to campus soon.

next: Mark Wahlberg Gets Married!
Jill August 3, 2009, 11:52 AM

You know what’s cool? Visiting your grandchildren. What’s not cool? Taking your battle with your daughter to books, blogs and news outlets. I don’t relate, can’t relate and don’t care what Candy Spelling has to say…

LaTice August 3, 2009, 11:57 AM

Groovy, man - or is it radical? I’m showing my age.

Ralphina August 3, 2009, 12:15 PM

I care what everybody says. I hate to imagine what it’s like to have t and d blasting candy every night on tv. She has rights to express her view.

CeCe August 3, 2009, 12:20 PM

I hope awesome is gone and amazing doesn’t replace it.

sue August 3, 2009, 12:28 PM

To Jill - It’s so uncool to invite your mother to a televised party and withhold the grandchildren all other times.

Jill August 3, 2009, 12:50 PM

I’m sure that there are two sides to every story… even before Tori had children- Candy (supposedly) didn’t tell Tori of Aaron Spelling’s impending health. Either way, I find it very hard to relate to a multi-millionaire grandmother blogger, who probably doesn’t do her own grocery shopping and definately doesn’t need to coupons that Momlogic posts on this site. Its such an oxy-moron at this point.

Dianne August 3, 2009, 1:43 PM

Oh, so the issue is their money? That explains it. Her daughter is rich. Look at all those parties, the maids and nannies, cars and houses. So why is she more bievable?

cassie August 3, 2009, 3:09 PM

Nostalgia is cool and rad!!!

Vicki August 3, 2009, 3:25 PM

Thanks Candy for keeping us young. I am always lost around my grandchildren. Now I will know what they are talking about :)

Renee August 3, 2009, 3:52 PM

This is too funny! You have the most wonderful childlike curiosity. It’s very refreshing. Thanks for posting this, G!

Vivienne August 3, 2009, 4:41 PM

Keeping up with today’s slang and lingo is so hard. I am only 30 and am still behind the times. I think Awesome is still relevant - at least you have the UCLA campus nearby to keep you young Candy - please keep us posted on what’s new and hip!

Samantha August 3, 2009, 5:12 PM

Thanks Candy, for keeping us Moms up with what is hip and happening. Or are the words hip and happening still cool?
You are a G, Candy!

Anne August 3, 2009, 5:47 PM

Candy - I always enjoy reading your posts. You are truly an inspiration! I read your book this weekend and it made me think about all of the little things in life that are important but often taken for granted. Thanks for keeping it simple and fun!

Stacey August 3, 2009, 7:31 PM

I agree with Jill…Candy doesnt make any sence more than half the time she blogs!!!…she really needs to try and be a grandmother to her grandchildren at least and stop writing these stupid blogs!!…the things that are important to candy is hillarious!!

Jessica August 3, 2009, 8:16 PM

Candy, will you be my sister from another mister??? You’re a hoot!

tina  August 3, 2009, 9:58 PM

Dear Candy, I thought ur slang adventure was great! I have 3kids 2of which r teens and I am constantly hearing crazy things 4example my son wears them white muscle shirts called beaters(I never heard this)but apparantly its worn by husbands who beat wives-WTH I will stick w/the things I do know:) Dont let the ignorant comments get u down they will continue 2beat a dead horse but that doesnt mean we have 2watch.Keep writing and we will read!xoxo

Jenni August 7, 2009, 5:24 PM

I want to let Candy know that many of us who have watched Tori’s show recognize her manipulative and passive-aggressive behavior toward you. I didn’t see it in the beginning. In more recent episodes, however, Tori seems to have become obsessed with making you look bad. She seems to revel in the attention she gets by portraying herself as a victim of imaginary “child abuse.” The woman is in her thirties! When is she going to grow up and take responsibility for inventing her own problems?

You should know that - although we may not often post our views - many of us out here fully recognize Tori’s games. I can barely make it through recent episodes without frequently rolling my eyes. Don’t despair. And keep blogging!

Lisa August 8, 2009, 12:20 AM

Just go see your grandkids! You will not get a second chance at their first birthday (or Liam’s second even!). You’re wasting precious time. Nothing is more important than family!

Jenni August 8, 2009, 8:41 PM

I believe the obvious point is that Candy would love to privately see her grandchildren. Tori extended the invitation to her mother, however, only on the condition that the meeting take place before cameras. This fact is evident in the final two episodes of Tori’s show. If Tori’s sincere priority is to unite her mother with her grandchildren, why has she never extended an invitation to meet with her mother privately? One can only conclude that Tori perpetuates the strained relationship with her mother, in order to garner sympathy with the public and benefit from ratings that inevitably increase with this kind of family drama.

Jenni August 8, 2009, 8:43 PM