Abercrombie, Get Your Act Together!

Yet another lawsuit has been filed against the clothing giant.

abercrombie and fitch store front

WTH is going on with Abercrombie these days? First they won't hire an amputee because she violates their "Look Policy." Then they refuse to let an autistic girl bring her sister in the dressing room with her. Now they have told a Muslim teen that her scarf also violates their "Look Policy."

According to the AP, in June 2008, 17-year-old Samantha Elauf applied for a sales position at the Abercrombie Kids store at the Woodland Hills Mall in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Ms. Elauf wears a hijab in accordance with her religious beliefs, and she says the manager told her the head scarf violates the store's "Look Policy."

"These actions constitute discrimination against Ms. Elauf on the basis of religion," the lawsuit states.

In 2004, Abercrombie & Fitch Co. agreed to pay $50 million to settle a lawsuit filed by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission that accused the company of discriminatory preferment, and of promoting an all-white image in its catalogs, advertising, and elsewhere.

Abercrombie, this "Look Policy" of yours obviously blows! Get your act together, or our new "Look Policy" is going to be to look elsewhere for our kids' clothes!

next: Mom Fights to Save Lives After Daughter Dies
AngryMom September 21, 2009, 12:44 PM

Why is the Muslim girl allowed to sue because they don’t want to hire her? A&F isn’t allowed to have a preference? Isn’t this this America where we are allowed certain freedoms? Why doesn’t she just go apply for a job somewhere else? Old Navy? Gap? There’s got to be at least 50 other clothing stores in the mall near her that she could apply at. Or hell, forget working, why not just sue someone instead. Disgusting!

duh September 21, 2009, 1:33 PM

Angrymom….she’s allowed to sue because here in america we have a no discrimination policy..which includes race and religion

Anonymous September 21, 2009, 2:42 PM

“look policy”? which is what? sounds like nazi

Lynette September 21, 2009, 6:14 PM

Kids generally like to work at stores where they already shop - to get employee discounts. A&F is horrible in my opinion, but I don’t think for a second they care or will change. While I don’t have an issue with legal issues brought against the store, it is obviously doing nothing to deter them from pulling the same crap over and over again. A bigger punishment is needed.

Lilliamom September 21, 2009, 6:15 PM

I can’t believe that as a parent angrymom is not upset by this. I would not want my child discriminated against for any reason. My family doesn’t eat at a certain restaurant near our home because we were discriminated against because my husband is hispanic. It sickens me that anyone would want a very high priced retailer to get away with this sort of behavior. I for one will no longer purchase items from this chain for my son who likes the clothes, even though I am sure he doesn’t fit their “look policy” either.

Lisa September 21, 2009, 6:17 PM

I think anyone who pays those prices for their kids clothing has a bit of an issue already, and probably won’t change their shopping habits because of this. Although it sucks and I’m glad people are outraged. Carry on, lazy shoppers.

AngryMom September 21, 2009, 9:19 PM

I am hispanic, and have put up with discrimination my whole life, but honestly, don’t we all discriminate to a certain degree? I’m not trying to stir the pot, but I really don’t understand why she’s suing them because they don’t like the way she looks. America is FULL of opportunity. Apply for a job somewhere else, it’s that simple. What about stores that don’t hire kids with blue mohawks and peircings? Why can’t they sue? It’s just absurd to me that “lawsuit” is the first thing people do.

AngryMom September 21, 2009, 9:21 PM

Nina September 22, 2009, 8:47 AM

A look policy is a dress code and most places have them. I have to hide my tattoo at my job and I can’t wear certain pieces of clothing/shoes. That’s life.

michelle September 22, 2009, 9:00 AM

“Angrymom”, I can’t believe I have to explain to you what employment discrimination is and why it is a bad thing. But OK. Abercrombie was also fined by the EEOC for keeping all its black/Hispanic employees in the stockroom, away from customers. Not coincidentally, these are its worst paid positions. Their “look policy” was exposed as basically whites only — and being white is something people cannot control (unlike mohawks or piercings). And, sure, minority or disabled people can look for a job elsewhere, but you are totally missing the point. If you allow Abercrombie to practice employment discrimination, you are allowing all employers to practice it, for any reason. And if you give all employers the chance to do this, they will do it. How do we know this? Look at the old days of segregation, where there were explicit racial hierarchies in employment. We owe ALL our progress in racial equality to date to lawsuits and, eventually, to laws and regulations that applied equally to all employers. I think people tend to overlook the fact that America is “FULL of opportunity” for minority people today because they had to fight for it.

birdsfly September 22, 2009, 9:58 AM

@angrymom, it is also a case of religious discrimination. The “look policy” took issue with her hijab, violating her rights to not be discriminated against based on religion.

thelaw September 22, 2009, 7:13 PM

The right to not be discriminated on based on your religion protects you from FEDERAL and GOVERMENTAL discrimination. There is no law that disallows Ambercrombie from hiring whoever they want for whatever reason. They are a PRIVATE company.

N September 22, 2009, 11:20 PM

this company is stupid for telling her why they won’t hire her, they should just say they decided to go with someone else

ashley September 23, 2009, 4:54 AM

I agree with “N” If they aren’t going to hire someone for a certain reason like that then they shouldn’t tell them that. DUH!! Didn’t they learn their lesson the first time.

dean September 23, 2009, 8:21 AM

You are right ‘N’, they should have not told her. I used to work for “Curves” and they never hired men, but they would just make up some other reason for not hiring them.

carolyn October 22, 2009, 10:24 AM

she should sue, and she should win big money, no whammies. getting discriminated against so blatantly is like winning the lottery in this country. congrats!

also, everyone should look elsewhere for their children’s clothes anyway. brats.

smarterthenyouduh March 4, 2010, 4:36 AM

Wearing the Hajib is a choice. If she was from the type of family so strict that she must wear a cover on her hair at ALL times then I’m doubtful her family would allow her to work in such a shop. I suspect she purposely wore it for just such a response. A&F should have the right to hire whomever they choose and consumers have the right to NOT SHOP THERE if they don’t like the store’s policies. How about everyone stop being SHEEP, and think about where they spend their hard earned money.