Baby Girl Abandoned on NYC Street!

What would drive a parent to ditch their kid in plain sight?

baby sitting in a stroller

Vivian Manning-Schaffel: Anyone cruising this site has gathered that parenting can be extremely stressful. And with the economy as it is, raising a child in New York City is an experience chock-full of unique stresses. For example, food is incredibly expensive, and we all live right on top of each other. Some of us raise families in apartments so small there are no doors to close or quiet to be had when you need to count to ten and gather yourself.

But sometimes, grown-ups snap and act out in extremes. According to this piece in yesterday's New York Post, a bickering couple got out of a car and stuck their 18-month-old daughter in a stroller, as if they were going to take a walk. But they got back in the car, left the poor thing right there on the street, and sped off!

Luckily, a bunch of witnesses looked after the kid and called 911. The baby got checked out at a local hospital, and she's in good shape. And the cops eventually busted and grilled the parents.

What drove this couple to subject this helpless little mama to the infinite tragedies that could've happened had the wrong person seen this go down? Judging by the fact that they left her in a wealthy neighborhood (the Upper East Side is known for major moolah) with unopened toys and diapers, the whole thing seems somewhat planned and tinged with guilt. Maybe they panicked that they couldn't give her the type of life they'd wanted to? Or are they impulsive, irresponsible idiots who gave into a whim that could've had potentially lethal consequences for their young daughter?

Personally, I think if a parent goes this far once, they may very well go farther the next time. And no innocent babe should be subjected to that risk.

Do you guys think this couple was under duress and should get another shot at raising her? Or should another family member or maybe even family services take over?

next: Answering Those "Daddy" Questions?
Rhonda September 14, 2009, 10:47 AM

I don’t care how bad things get. How could you leave your child in any neighborhood alone. Regardless of how RICH it is. How would you know a good person got that child. It could be a child molestor and they may have harmed that child. Bad people are rich also.
I get frustrated with my girls but would NEVER NEVER leave them somewhere and I didn’t know how they were being treated. You need alot of prayers !!!

James September 14, 2009, 12:20 PM

This is crazy, I can’t believe someone would do that. I hope they find them.

Karen S September 14, 2009, 1:14 PM

Oh, the poor pookie. I’m sure someone will adopt her, and they ought to get the chance — if that isn’t forfeiting parental rights, I don’t know what is.

TweetDeckTV September 14, 2009, 1:26 PM

These parents shouldn’t be allowed to parent over so much as a goldfish…for life.

MamaBennie September 14, 2009, 2:06 PM

Wow, my daughter stresses me out, but she is still MY DAUGHTER. I could never abandon her. This is heart breaking, and those parents should be put in jail. The little girl should be put up for adoption, at least the family that takes her will actually love her.

Anonymous September 14, 2009, 3:07 PM

thatz bullshit..poor babygirl should not be left in their handz ever again.. for what to just be thrown somewhere the next time her parentz arent erady to be parentz!?!!!

Pat September 14, 2009, 4:46 PM

These parents are unfit to be given another try. There are MANY couples who would love to raise and love this baby girl. It is very upsetting that they left their baby in a neighborhood! It was obviously planned.

Anonymous September 14, 2009, 8:36 PM

i don’t think the parents should get another chance.

LearnHowToType! September 16, 2009, 12:53 PM

Anonymous- to make things plural, it’s an S at the end… not a Z!!!

no way September 16, 2009, 8:23 PM

parental rights should be stripped and they should allow her to be adopted. If they let her go back it should be after mental evals and a close eye should be kept on them ie:monitoring by CPS.

jane April 30, 2010, 4:08 PM

Who said they WANTED another chance? It’s obvious they could not care for her anymore and maybe had no clue of what their options were and never asked for fear of ridicule. It’s possible they DON’T want another chance and DON’T want to be parents. Doing something of this magnititude clearly suggests so. There were other stories too of parents ditching their kids and honestly it’s a lot nicer than something far worse which maybe they were trying to prevent if they weren’t prepared for times of hardship. I’ve lost my mind.. what do I do? Do I dump the kid on the street corner or possibly wind up killing/injuring him cause I cannot handle the stress? A person who has lost their sanity does not always think logically. And please … there are things going on out there far worse than this and you act like it’s the worst thing a parent could possibly do. May I suggest you visit badbreeders.net or other sites to see the REAL WORLD of what’s going on out there.