Bank Robber ID'd by His Own Mom

Would you turn in your kid if they committed a crime?

mom identifies bank robber

Discovering a picture of your child in the local paper could be a moment of pride. Not so for one mom, who recognized her own son in a surveillance snapshot while flipping through the news in her hometown of New Salem, Pennsylvania.

Now, James Alborg, thanks to dear old mom and a propensity for crime, could face up to 20 years behind bars.

Turns out, Alborg's mother had become suspicious when her son suddenly had a large amount of money he claimed to have won playing the lottery.

Even if someone would never think of turning in their own flesh and blood, many refuse to bail family members out when the law finally catches up with them. When Barron Hilton got charged with a DUI last year, his sister Paris reportedly refused to bail him out. An Australian mother made waves when she refused to bail her son out of jail, and then called on other moms to follow her lead.

Family counselor Rosanne Tobey, LPC, says, depending on the situation and the age of the child, this could be a good idea. "If you've got a kid arrested for DUI, leaving them in jail overnight is a good way to let them think things out," she says. "It really sends the message that if they break the rules, they have to suffer the consequences."

Would you turn in your kid if you knew they committed a crime?

next: Mark Wahlberg, Rhea Durham Expecting Fourth Child
Just Sayin' September 4, 2009, 1:25 PM

Good for her. Kids need to have consequences and I congratulate her for her courage, I’m sure it wasn’t easy but it needed to be done. I agree with her decision, and God forbid if I am ever in her shoes I will have the courage to do the same.

Christina Gleason @ Best Mom Award September 4, 2009, 1:39 PM

I would do the same thing. How are kids supposed to learn to take responsibility for their actions if their parents bail them out (or look the other way) for serious crimes?

RachelAZ September 4, 2009, 5:43 PM

I would most definitely turn my child in for that!

Tami September 4, 2009, 7:22 PM

Depending on what the crime is, heck yeah.

Emma September 6, 2009, 8:41 AM

I agree with everyone here. Kids need to get the message that it is not ok to be a parasite to society

GoodMom October 1, 2009, 7:58 AM

My son was racking up speeding tickets when he got his first brand new car, a Civic. We kept telling him to stop speeding, he thought he was a target because he was young & Black. Maybe, but since he lives in a mostly White town by the seashore, he should know he’ll get noticed if he’s speeding while a)Black (b) in a souped up car (C)in a predominantly White area. So, when he finally got stopped right here in our hometown, he had an unpaid ticket, and I think a warrant because it wasn’t yet paid. They took him to the precinct, they were going to officially arrest him if he didn’t get bail right away. My husband and I decided to let him wait until the next day to teach him a lesson. A good friend since grammar since bailed him out instead, wrecking our plans to teach him a lesson. Or so we thought. While he still thinks we were going to leave him there, he asn’t gotten any more tickets. So he did learn something. Two things actually…don’t speed if you don’t want to get tickets or warrants and don’t sit around thinking your parents are going to come and get you the moment yoy get in trouble.