Bake Sale Brownies Get Teachers Baked

After reading this news report, those baked goods suddenly don't sound as yummy ...

pot brownie bake sale

Guest Blogger Julie Wolfson: In the world we live in today, is buying home-baked treats dangerous?

Bake sales sell yummy sweets to raise money for good causes. Schools, churches, and charity organizations ask people to bake cookies, cakes, and more, then set up a temporary bake shop. Kids love selling things, which makes it a fun activity and a great lesson about commitment and follow-through. A great bake sale is full of home-baked treats. Normally, this is a wholesome and safe activity, right?

Yesterday, LAist reported that preschool teachers got sick after buying brownies from a street vendor who said she was raising money for a church. They cost $1.50 each, and were wrapped individually in plastic. It turns out the brownies were laced with marijuana.

Two teachers -- one of whom was breastfeeding -- went to the hospital for treatment. All recovered within three to 10 hours.

With bake sale foods, we are trusting people to make things that are safe to eat. Now I'd think twice before buying bake sale brownies, no matter how yummy they look. The last things these preschool teachers expected was to get high off their bake sale brownies!

Does this make you wary of bake sales ... or do you think it's just an isolated incident that's no real cause for concern? Comment below.

next: Is That Kathy Griffin ... or Kate Gosselin?
Anonymous September 4, 2009, 11:20 AM

1.50 for weed brownies? What a deal! I’d have bought them all.

And seriously 10 hours for marijuana sickness? What kind of crap are you trying to push forth on ignorant people. You are reinforcing a ridiculous and untrue stereotype. Marijuana does not send you to the hospital for 10 hours.

Absentia September 4, 2009, 11:23 AM

Except that cannabis oil can be added to any food, many of them, tastelessly. Considering no one actually cooks their own food anymore, by your logic we should not be eating food unless it is prepared directly in front of us.

Don’t ruin bake sales and brownies because of extremely isolated incidents of people “doping” them. Statistically, you are not going to run in to them.

Anonymous September 4, 2009, 11:30 AM

If they where in the hospital for 10 hours then it was because they didn’t understand what being high was, which can be dangerous if you’re not aware of it. This certainly doesn’t excuse the baker from not informing those who they where selling to, but it is the reason we have an ingredient list on all commercial products! Cannabis (I don’t like the term marijuana) is not for everyone, although I could see a caregiver getting plates of brownies mixed up in the rush before the bake sale.

WileyMunkin September 4, 2009, 12:09 PM

I agree with everyone thus-far on this one. This does seem like an isolated incident. On one hand, I don’t think it’s fair to sell people baked goods without them knowing it’s going to get them ‘baked’. It can be pretty crazy for people who have never gotten stoned before. On the other hand, trying to say you were messed up for 10 hours is ridiculous… that just seems like the people were trying to milk sympathy from a population that already seems predisposed to hating/minsunderstanding marijuana. Hopefully this incident doesn’t do more to give it a bad name, and hey, maybe the teachers secretly liked it? Hahaha, just wait a few weeks… those teachers will be rockin’ tye dyed shirts and listening to Reggae music… yeaaaaaah rasta mon :)

Anonymous September 4, 2009, 12:17 PM

BUllfuckingSHIT, Im very aware of the role that mothers have to play in society, right from wrong. All of the guidance needed for future generations, but please refrain yourselves from furthering the ignorance… who gets hospitalized for 10 hours after eating pot brownies?!

Sivraj September 4, 2009, 12:17 PM

haha! Dam i wish my school sold pot brownies. maybe these mothers need to stop being so up tight and learn to relax every now and then =P

Droid September 4, 2009, 12:19 PM

This article makes it sound like a marijuana brownie is a “bad” thing and “drugs are bad” mentality means you end up in the hospital for 10 hours. This is patently untrue and the idea of it is simply fuelling the fear and hysteria over consciousness alteration. I don’t agree with the notion of giving out THC to people without their consent, but really, if they had just sat down and enjoyed the afternoon, they would have had a truly uplifting experience.

Nopulp September 4, 2009, 12:21 PM

I wish this would happen to me.. =0

meme September 4, 2009, 12:23 PM

dumb

Matt September 4, 2009, 12:26 PM

Seriously? Did I just read that? The writer of this article is clearly a virgin and must be taking a little extra dose of the meds that their doctor prescribed them. The only reason someone would take themselves to the hospital is that they were paranoid as a result from the weed in the brownie. Everyone knows that there is not one recorded incident of someone dying as a result from smoking or ingesting mari-juana. I know someone who smoked marijuana her entire pregnancy and now her offspring is a nuclear engineer. Seriously? They should have been thankful they got the dank hookup on some brownies…

That Guy September 4, 2009, 12:48 PM

Selling for 1.50? Might aswell give it away for free.

Shade September 4, 2009, 12:56 PM

Marijuana sickness? Seriously? Aka being high for a little while? I fail to see how this was cause for hospitalization, unless the bronwies made the two women so stupid they needed supervision until they came down off of the high, which considering they probably had no knowledge of the drugs effects is likely. But marijuana sickness?

I daresay that the poster is fairly ignorant about the effects of this drug themselves, which is in fact less harmful to a body than cigarettes or alcohol (ironically much more frequently consumed by pregnant/nursing women)

It sounds like an isolated incident, to be certain, and honestly you are hyping the issue much more than it needs to be and propogating the ignorance that started when cannibis was first illegalized and branded with the name marijuana to make it sound more dangerous than it actually is.

In conclusion… Why dont things like this happen to me? D:

Annette September 4, 2009, 12:59 PM

also, they didn’t buy their brownies at a “bake sale” they bought them off the street from a single vendor who “said” she was raising money for “a church”. If you ask me, that was a dumb move. I wouldn’t buy baked goods off someone just on the street. I would however feel perfectly comfortable going to a bake sale at a church or school or neighborhood party or something organized and buying baked goods.

Tim September 4, 2009, 2:50 PM

It’s not “laced” it’s “baked”. And it’s good for you.

Shawn September 4, 2009, 3:33 PM

While I don’t agree with anyone giving a person an intoxicating substance without their knowledge saying that these brownies were dangerous is moronic.

Oh no some teachers felt happy, tingly, and maybe ate some cheetos, the worlds going to end.

Sensationalist articles like this do a great disservice to the general public. Do some research next time before listing one of the most benign substances known to man as dangerous.

Anon September 4, 2009, 10:46 PM

One time, I went to a wedding, and I was chatting with the caterer, and I asked her how she made so MUCH potato salad!? And she goes, Oh, I just clean out my bathtub really good, throw it all in and mix it all up. Yeah. If you don’t know where it’s coming from, don’t eat it.

Elaine September 5, 2009, 1:07 AM

I’m actually more concerned about clean food handling practices and food safety than anything else when our school asks for home-baked items for these sales.

schenn September 5, 2009, 6:27 AM

omg omg omg cannabis!! Not cannabis!! You might… send your cancer into remission or… alleviate pain or… subdue your depression. Cant have that, we should all be drinking our livers away because thats “safer”

Dani' September 5, 2009, 4:45 PM

I could see bathtub gin..but bathtub POTATO SALAD? Seriously? That is just nasty!

DEANNA September 17, 2009, 7:47 AM

Haha the potato salad thing really made me laugh & I haven’t even had any brownies :P