Do You Have an Anxious Attachment Disorder?

Are you one of those moms who checks her phone 80 times a day, wondering if your man is going to call? Watch out -- you might be more than just "clingy." Dr. Wendy Walsh gives us the skinny on a disorder that could be affecting your relationships.

woman yelling at cell phone Anxious Attachment Disorder

Dr. Wendy Walsh: There has been much in the media about a psychological injury called an "attachment disorder" as it pertains to babies and parents, but there is an adult version that relates to romantic attachments. There are adults walking among us, stumbling through the world of dating, mating, and relating, while reliving their own preverbal, infantile emotional injuries. Some have a style of attachment that brings as many feelings of anxiety as comfort, and they are called "anxious" attachers. To understand this, let's take a look at what attachment theory is.

History of Attachment Theory
In his book, Becoming Attached, author Dr. Robert Karen sums up the work of the pioneers of attachment theory well. From the birth of attachment theory, with such thinkers as John Bowlby, Mary Ainsworth, and Mary Main, came the notion that a trusted person -- an attachment figure -- offers an infant a secure base. A child whose needs are met with appropriate attention, affection, and empathic words will grow to trust the world and to trust relationships, and will translate that feeling of trust to a romantic partner in adult life. John Bowlby, an English psychotherapist from the first part of the last century, is often called the father of attachment theory. He believed that the ties to the parent gradually weaken as the child gets older, and that the secure base function is slowly shifted to other figures, eventually resting on one's mate.

This tendency of the child to attach in the ways he or she was attached to his/her parents happens because the functions of attachment become an internal property of the child. In other words, we are often unaware of our own attachment style. Attachment theory involves a way of relating to others based on communications and behaviors of both parents in the first years of life. These "messages" about how to love are then combined with a child's own interactions with each parent, and become an influential cognitive structure -- a hard-wired piece of our personality.

Three Principal Patterns of Attachment

Attachment researchers have categorized people based on three principal patterns of attachment. The first is a pattern of secure attachment, in which the person is confident that a parent (usually Mom, and eventually a lover) will be available, responsive, and helpful.

The second is that of anxious resistant attachment, in which the individual is uncertain if a parent will be available and because of that uncertainty, is prone to separation anxiety and is anxious about exploring the world.

The third pattern is an anxious avoidant attachment, in which the individual has no confidence that when he or she seeks care, they will be responded to, and on the contrary, expects rejection.

Adult Romantic Attachment
These three kinds of patterns play out in adult romantic life as well. It is estimated that only about 20 percent of the American population has secure attachment behaviors -- the ability to give and receive care with comfort, and a degree of self-esteem that is not dependent on their lover's reinforcement. What's left in most of us? We either have a tendency to avoid feelings and closeness, or a confusing pattern of craving and mistrusting love -- in various degrees, of course.

People with anxious attachment disorder are vigilant clock-watchers. Since they are dependent on contact and affirmation from their partner, they have an uncanny ability to sense if contact is waning. They tend to be chronic voice mail and e-mail checkers, and have a need for constant texting. They can also be easily prone to feelings of jealousy. They love and respect their partner, but are also wary that that love may disappear. And, while people with anxious attachment disorder crave closeness, they can also be surprisingly terrified when they actually get what they crave. We've all met or dated someone who sent us contradictory messages and led us to believe they were interested, only to disappear or behave badly and send us running. People with anxious attachment disorder don't trust that love is real or reliable, and so they often behave badly when things feel too good.

The good news is that attachment disorders can be healed. An empathetic, ethical therapist can foster a healthy therapist/patient relationship that rebuilds adult attachment style. Patients learn how to depend on relationships, to trust love, and to tolerate criticism and consistent contact. If you feel you are suffering from an attachment disorder, try to find a therapist who specializes in attachment theory.

Attachment theory holds so many keys to adult romantic pair bonding. The unique mating dance of couples is choreographed by the internal world of both partners, creating, in the end, a performance that runs the gamut from an embracing waltz to one in which the dancers continually step on each others' feet. It is a reflection of the secret world of an infant and parent, played out again with a grown-up body and a new kind of mother -- a lover.

next: Kate Gosselin's New 'Do
Online Banking Security October 18, 2010, 5:17 PM

Glad to see that this site works well on my Droid , everything I want to do is functional. Thanks for keeping it up to date with the latest.

sniper games October 24, 2010, 7:56 PM

Just discovered this site thru Google, what a way to brighten up my year!

Reyna Sapien October 25, 2010, 6:07 AM

Looking at a few of your posts I must say i found this specific one to be really good. I have a blog site also and would choose to repost a few snips of your content on my weblog. Would it be okay if I use this as long I reference your webblog or build a backlink to your article I procured the snip from? Otherwise I am aware of and would never do it without your endorsement . I have book marked this valuable post to twitter as well as zynga account for reference. Nevertheless appreciate it either way!

Roxana Krucker October 26, 2010, 2:01 PM

In my next post you’re going to discover more in the matter of.

Roberto Dunckel October 26, 2010, 2:25 PM

Seeing a few of your blogposts I must say i found this specific one to generally be excellent. I’ve got a web log also and would wish to repost some snips of your respective content on my personal weblog. Would it be alright if I do that as long I personal reference your blog post or generate a backlink towards the article I procured the snip from? If not I understand and would never do it without having your endorsement . I have book marked this particular posting to twitter and myspace accounts for reference. Anyway thanks either way!

Winfred Dildine October 27, 2010, 10:40 AM

I am constantly trying to find someone to alternative articles together with, I am a undergraduate and also have a weblog right here on our campus internet site. The topic of this weblog and writting fashion would definitely go great in some of my category’s, tell me should you be up for this.

January Thuotte October 27, 2010, 6:20 PM

Get over this theory: There is nothing really questionable with what I am saying.

Miquel Ferugson October 28, 2010, 9:05 AM

You’re wrong.

Ernesto Odor October 29, 2010, 12:11 PM

As an aside, let’s take a glance at the outdated concepts relevant to.

Kennith Dejager October 30, 2010, 6:03 PM

When one selects a , there are a number of details that you have to take under advisement.

Jorge Phanor October 31, 2010, 1:23 AM

It is marvelous how pundits must not handle a no example duty like.

Aurora Zlatkin October 31, 2010, 9:22 AM

I feel great about what’s going on or although, Let sleeping dogs lie.

Tomoko Machtley November 9, 2010, 12:03 PM

Because I am a top old pro on , what I have is a susceptibility about.

Merle Cahan November 10, 2010, 9:53 AM

This is what you ought to do.

Anglea Broden November 13, 2010, 1:26 PM

I have been looking around on the net hoping to get ideas on how to get my personal web site coded, your overall design and theme are perfect. Did you code it by yourself or did you employ a programmer to do it on your behalf?

Kamilah Zurmiller November 18, 2010, 7:33 AM

All round I consider that is some thing to think about however it would possibly just be just a little little bit of base. In my nation we have to honer superior authors and I’m praising your submit as I do assume it is actually terribly great.

Burton Haynes November 27, 2010, 8:40 AM

I’m wondering now if we can talk about your sites statistics - search volume, etc, I’m trying to sites I can buy adspace through - let me know if we can talk about pricing and whatnot. Cheers mate you’re doing a great job though.

Deandre Hoskins November 30, 2010, 2:29 AM

Now isn’t the best time to say this, but you should take it very seriously.

Alene Nuzzo December 2, 2010, 7:28 AM

I know this sounds rather artificial but hear me out.

brahmin wallet December 3, 2010, 11:51 AM

Nice piece of writing have to, you placed a lot of time and energy engrossed I can tell! Your present site is extremely great too. How much time does the application just take you to definitely construct this great site close to where it is really recently?