Does Your Daughter Have 'DadHair'?

It is obvious when a dad does a kid's hair -- it has uneven parts and mismatched accessories. One dad has come up with a solution for dads who are hair-challenged.

Does you daughte have dad hair?

Bruce Sallan: Craig Lawrey's book, "Does Your Daughter Have DADHAIR? A Step-by-Step Guide for Dads," teaches dads how to manage their daughter's hair. Using color photographs, hints, tips, and psychology of the father-daughter bond, he humorously makes light of and helps abolish DadHair, which he defines as:

dadhair (dad-hār) n. A style in which hair is arranged so that it is obvious that an unskilled stylist (namely the male paternal figure) is responsible. Syn. DISASTER, TRAGEDY.

I interviewed Craig -- and we had the following exchange:

Bruce Sallan: So what inspired you to want to learn how to manage your daughter's hair?

Craig Lawrey: My total inability to do so, really. I would see my daughter's friends with nice hairstyles, and my daughter looked like a cave-child. I think the true spark happened when a mom pointed out that fact.

BS: What did she say?

CL: It was a matter-of-fact put-down that felt, frankly, horribly sexist even if it was true. From that day on, I was going to learn to have my daughter's hair look better than her daughter's hair.

BS: I see you took the mature approach. Where did you come up with the term "DadHair"?

CL: I just gave it a name! Ask most moms and they'll have a similar name for it.

BS: So why this book?

CL: As I actually became somewhat proficient, the requests from other fumbling dads and amazement from moms (that a dad could actually do such a thing) got me thinking: Maybe I should help more people other than my brother and some buddies?

BS: What makes your book special?

CL: It's a book written by a real dad for real dads. When questioning moms for ideas, I was lost, as their terminology was so foreign to me. I put in the book what dads will actually be able to handle, man to man, as if I'm talking to a friend.

Craig's book is really a simple step-by-step introduction, for either dad or mom. It's sort of like a juggling book, except learning to juggle is a lot easier, I suspect. It's fun, genuinely helpful, and will make a great Christmas/Father's Day gift for most daughters to give their dads. At the Orange County Children's Book Festival on Oct. 4, "DadHair" will make its first public showing and will be available for purchase. If you can't make it to the festival, you may purchase it at DadHair.com beginning October 5.

next: Scores Dead in Devastating Samoan Tsunami
Hannah September 30, 2009, 4:43 PM

This looks like a must-have for the holiday season! I also like the duct tape on the cover, nice touch! I guess I just took for granted that people know how to do hair… but this looks like a “Kids hair for dummies”! Awesome!

MOM September 30, 2009, 5:36 PM

A great idea for Dad’s of all ages. Even grandparents would love this book! This is a book I’d like to stash away for my own 3 sons for the day they have their own little bundle of joys! Great idea! The book gave Dads great tips on hair and bonding with one’s daughter! It even managed to touch my heart and make me laugh! BTW…the model on the cover…simply beautiful!

Annie September 30, 2009, 7:34 PM

What a terrific idea. An informative and funny guide to Dadhair. I know quite a few fathers who could benefit, and a lot of mothers too. It would even be a great gift for daughters to purchase for their dads as sort of a preventive strike against the much feared and misunderstood cave-children hairdo. Looking forward to picking up a few pointers.

Ryan September 30, 2009, 7:34 PM

Many of my closest friends are younger dads with children around 4-6. This is the perfect time to introduce this book to them…as I’ve noticed that when they are in charge, they have some “cave children” brewing. Great idea, great gift, thanks for sharing!
-Ryan

Alicia Deane September 30, 2009, 8:51 PM

I especially appreciate any attempts for young fathers to “bond” with their daughters. Craig’s achieving this through attending to his little girl’s hair is a delight to read.

Cal Smith September 30, 2009, 10:20 PM

haha, what a great idea for a book. I’ll be sending this link to all the guys and gals i know that have kids.
I might just save a few of them from the walk of shame at school..

MotherBoots September 30, 2009, 11:00 PM

My son needs this BADLY! You should see what my granddaughter looks like!!! I can’t wait for Oct. 5th! Thank you, Bruce for picking this book to review. Would you thank the author for me? This is too funny, and desperately needed. It’s about time someone did something like this.

Scott October 1, 2009, 1:50 PM

I’ve read thru an advance copy of this book and it’s definitely a keeper for me. My twin girls don’t lock the door to the bathroom anymore when I ask if I can help with their hair. LOL.
Thanks Craig for writing this book. It has certainly helped me to better bond with my girls and I think every father of girls should get it.
- Scott

Will October 1, 2009, 5:36 PM

I have kept my daughters hair short for years because I was afraid of causing them “dadhair”. It was my little secret. I am glad that I am not the only one who has this problem and will definitely be getting one of these for me as well as several other SADs I know.
THANKS CRAIG!!!
Will

Leonard October 2, 2009, 8:19 PM

As a Dad with a young daughter I can use all the help I can get. What a great book…this gives all Dads out there a glimer of hope in the daughter department. Thank you Mr. Craig Lawrey for writing this book.

D. Hoodlet October 6, 2009, 8:34 AM

As a daughter of a single father I can attest quite knowledgeably about the horrors of walking about with “DAD HAIR”. This book is filling a void and is long overdue! I wish it had been around when I was a little girl. I’ll be ordering copies for all the dads I know…single or otherwise!

Michelle October 11, 2009, 2:32 PM

Love it! I think this book is genious. I need a copy for my husband! LOL

Dr. Craig Ziering November 5, 2009, 10:11 AM

Wow, what a great interview. I am sure many dad’s will get a kick out of this and learn how important hair is (especially to a girl!)

Dr. Craig Ziering November 5, 2009, 10:13 AM

philippe perebinossoff November 20, 2009, 5:52 PM

I remember once when my daughter was an aspiring ballet dancer in “The Nutcracker” and she had to have her hair done just right (or what, I wondered). As her Dad, I totally missed the mark of perfect ballet hair. Tears and tears from her until she decided never to have me try again.
That may have been when she decided that I could do certain things and that her mother could do certain things. It’s very clear to her what each of us can and cannot do.

acai berry easy cleanse review May 11, 2010, 1:19 PM

Visit Anyone,criminal award appointment rate experience follow every though avoid danger war impossible loss local technical dangerous equipment boat generally unfortunately iron medical find drug risk appointment speech actual before capital handle ship permanent aircraft realise raise development trend possible about potential bone member sort personal officer environmental red else vary reading charge teacher master direct urban northern half commercial retain closely star refer government environmental wild week usual considerable from wood farmer financial program undertake experience round memory quiet joint determine without national along growth component quick useful