Elton John To Adopt?

People: Elton John got more than he bargained for on a tour of a Ukrainian orphanage Saturday -- a toddler who stole his heart.

eltonjohn270.jpg
The singer told reporters that his partner, David Furnish, "always wanted to adopt a child and I always said no, because I am 62 and because of the traveling I do."

But after meeting Lev, a Ukranian toddler, "I've changed my mind . . . I would love to adopt him," John, adding of the potential bureaucratic hurdles: "I don't know how we would do that but he has stolen my heart."

John and Furnish toured the orphanage (where many of the children's parents have died from AIDS) as part of his Elton John AIDS Foundation initiatives.

He added that he was inspired to adopt in part by the recent death of his good friend, keyboardist Guy Babylon.

"He was such a genius and so young and has two wonderful children," said John. "What better opportunity to replace someone I lost than to replace him with someone I can give a future to."

Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.

next: Caregiver Wives: For Better, For Worse
Rachelle September 14, 2009, 9:25 AM

It’s wonderful to want a child, and to raise your child and watch them grow. But Elton better think twice if he’s never wanted children before. Replacing a friend you lost with a child, just because the FRIEND loved children, or because your partner really wants children, is not a good enough reason to be a parent.

KANSAS September 14, 2009, 9:59 AM

elton has always said he wanted kids but never felt it was right to bring a kid into the world with a schedule like his. he almost adopted another boy but found out he had a family and found the boys family. he has always wanted them but just never did have a child.

the child is better off living with Elton and David than in an orphanage until he is 18 when they kick him out on the streets. How said is it when someone wants to adopt a child and cant. we would have less children in foster care and orphanages if more people were allowed to adopt. EVEN GAY COUPLES

StayAtHomeDad September 14, 2009, 11:48 AM

My wife and I had seriously considered adopting when we were told shortly after our marriage that we were both infertile and would never have children. Luckily and blessedly for us, we ended up having twin sons after five years of marriage, but I still ponder the idea if our family is complete or not, and so I keep the idea of adoption open in my mind.

My only concern with Elton adopting a child is the limelight that the child will grow up in. His father will be one of the most well known male celebrities in the world, and there are certain to be rumours (unfounded and unscrupulous, no doubt) relating to his father’s sexuality.

I wish all the best for their family, though, and hope that all will turn out well for them as they bring their son home.

Axel September 14, 2009, 8:20 PM

Good for him. Regardless of what people see as right or wrong, in the end, it’s his decision. If he is willing to raise a child out of the love in his heart, then I say have at it, and merry sails.

Danielle September 15, 2009, 6:16 AM

Does anyone else think that it’s entirely messed up that it’s easier to adopt a child from out of the United States? Seriously, my aunt just adopted a 1 year old Veitnam boy because they tried so hard here, and couldn’t get one. And it’s not like they aren’t a couple, or don’t have a big house or money, they have everything they need. I guess our country just likes to keep our children stuck in the system..nice huh?

Ten Tees January 8, 2011, 7:11 PM

Good post. Nice reading. I’ve got one opinion to make about t-shirts.