Forgive Me God, I Have a Kid

Having a baby is the best excuse to not attend synagogue this year.

Momlogic's Jenny: Like most American Jews, my family really only rolls out the "Observant" red carpet during the High Holidays. The Jewish High Holidays, which are considered the most important holidays in Judaism, are observed during the first day (Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year) and the tenth day (Yom Kippur, the day of Atonement). And since God decides who will be inscribed in the "book of life" on Yom Kippur, I always attend services at temple. Not this year.

young child praying

Why? I have a baby. And in my opinion, a place of worship is no place for a baby. Seriously, having a baby is the perfect excuse to get out of going to temple, church, weddings, funerals, work (okay, maybe I'm pushing it). First of all, my son is only 2. He wouldn't last more than three minutes cooped up on my lap listening to an old rabbi make Yiddish jokes (that my mom has already forwarded to me, "Hilarious"). Second of all, there's a lot of "silent prayer" and reflection during the High Holidays. Try telling a 2-year-old not to make a peep. Third, I have nothing to wear. (And yes, that is directly related to the baby).

The point is, I'm staying home this year. I feel a little guilty about using my son as an excuse not to go, but at least I can add this to the list of things to atone for. Hopefully, God will understand and let me live anyway. Besides, if God is omnipresent, He should be able to hear me from the comfort of my own home. I'll be sure to turn down the TV ...

Rosh Hashanah begins sundown, Friday, September 18th. Yom Kippur begins sundown Sunday, September 27.

next: Parents Sue Walmart Over Kid Bath Pics
jennifer September 19, 2009, 6:31 AM

L’Shanah Tovah! A lot of us are in the same boat! Thankfully, our synagogue has a family service which only lasts an hour.

Lacey September 19, 2009, 1:02 PM

I’ll admit it, i’ve used the baby excuse to get out of going to holiday parties.

PlumbLucky September 21, 2009, 5:40 AM

I’m quite lucky in that our place of worship (Catholic church) has a “cry room/play room” with a window into the main worship space and speakers from. Parents can participate as much as they can/want, children can roam/cry/play. There have been a few occassions where we leave early though…meltdowns starting to “go nuclear”.

ashley September 21, 2009, 8:11 AM

Yeah, lucky me. My husbands father and stepmom are Mormon and have 3 hour services. When we go visit they want us to go to church but we only have to stay an hour because our 7 year old and 2 year old get squirrly.

Lauralee Keasler December 2, 2010, 8:00 PM

I can’t believe simply how much of this I didn’t understand. Appreciate your writing this info. I’ll be sure to return here to see if you have any kind of new information.

Cherise Rodeheaver December 13, 2010, 10:55 PM

Like the saying goes, from the expert’s head there aren’t many options, however for someone possessing a newbie’s mind, the world is wide open.

Renetta Massengale March 6, 2011, 7:35 PM

Exceptionally helpful information. I am super fortunate that I found out about this website by chance. Just bookmarked this :P