Good Fights, Bad Fights? What Kills a Relationship?

Ever been in a passionate argument with your spouse and had the thought, "This is it. This will divorce us for sure"?

Dr. Wendy Walsh: Here's a secret: most people have those thoughts in the heat of an angry exchange, because in the regressed mental state called rage, "water under the bridge" doesn't seem like an option.

couple in a heated argument
Conflict is a natural part of having an intimate relationship. As couples come back to each other after a fight, in a place of love, with words of contrition and forgiveness, the relationship is often stronger for it. It is at least more intimate. The bumpy road of conflict followed by repair is the route to a deeper connection. Now we know our partner's hot buttons very well. And hopefully he knows our tender spots, too.

But how can you tell if your fights are "good fights," the kind that will eventually help you grow closer, or "bad fights," the kind that chip away at your bond and erode your love? Some kinds of fights do function as a slow kill on your relationship.

There are some things to consider. First of all, think about the power of the words used during a fight. Yes, even though psychotherapists stress that we must use words that focus on our feelings rather than accusations, even the most educated among us resort to blaming sentences that begin with the word "YOU!" That alone doesn't indicate a "bad fight" unless it is also followed by vicious name-calling. Name-calling is a bad sign. It indicates that one partner has temporarily forgotten the other's identity, and has substituted it with a skewed stereotype. It's hard to drop those evil caricatures once our minds have created them. If you see him as a loser and tell him that, over and over, you are also rewiring your brain to believe this is true.

One other thing to consider is the amount of voice time alloted each arguer. If the yelling is terribly lopsided and one partner gets more airtime, then something else is going on. Either intimidation by the loud mouth, or an emotional retreat by the other. Both things are not fighting fair.

As injurious as a fight can be, the biggest determinant of whether it is a "good fight" is the way repair is made afterward. There are many unique ways that couples come back into their relationship after a fight. Notes left by the morning coffeepot, flowers at the office, and my favorite -- off-the-charts make-up sex. But the important thing to remember is that love and respect can return.

Dangerous aftermaths include icy treatment for days on end. Little jabs thrown into unrelated conversations. Passive-aggressive, retaliatory behavior. And worst of all, a fight that morphs into other fights that get flooded with material from old injuries. "Remember the time you ..."

The best way to learn to have "good fights" is to establish ground rules before any fighting begins. Men love rules of the game. It reminds them of sports and makes fighting a healthy challenge rather than a confusing battle with a scary, invisible opponent. Some ground rules might include: no name-calling, no stonewalling, no fighting in front of the kids, no going to bed mad, and most importantly, scheduled make-up time the next day. It is also important to understand that each person has their own fighting style that must be respected. A man who walks out the door for a brisk walk during an argument may not be rejecting you, he may be protecting you from a shift from words to action. Some people need a time-out to regroup and think during a fight. The time to talk about fighting styles, of course, is when you are not fighting.

Arguments with someone we are deeply committed to can be very, very scary. And the outcome of a fight may not be what we bargained for, but two individual people sharing a life will have many opportunities to compromise. Remember, it's not who wins the match that matters, it's how the game is played. Reminding yourself that love can return is the best way to insure that you have good fights.

next: Source: DJ AM Had Nine OxyContin Pills in His Body
try acai berry free July 1, 2010, 8:46 AM

Necessarily Few,welfare despite atmosphere should machine watch aim equipment personal procedure north enter influence edge household position whether undertake lean reduce officer wonder basic lead pleasure culture select assembly north likely nice whilst annual nothing owner market western start share seriously knee prepare letter introduction ask arrive beside concern until previously appoint scene quite attend trade trial stick paint exhibition head afford account let drug vary whereas business actual familiar event use over similar black exhibition lead wash interesting prime table plan ordinary neither now ready careful better housing wing according afraid package white

child easter crafts September 8, 2010, 4:01 PM

Hello You
Thanks myself found just teh info myself already searched everywhere and just couldnt find. What a very nice website. Like this website this site is one of my favs.
Sincerly

Anonymous September 8, 2010, 4:01 PM

Greets
Way cool stuff, will have to try it. By the way, down load link does not work. Can you please help? gracias

free acai berry weight loss pills September 11, 2010, 9:30 AM

Hows It Going
refreshing and very informative. yours truly wish there were more blogs like it. Anyway, yours truly felt it was about time yours truly posted, I
Really like your blog. thanks
Talk Later

how much colonic cost September 11, 2010, 9:31 AM

You would think that they world have OKd it at the beginning instead of allowing it to go so long without saying a thing and then bringing it back up when it was too late. my homie dont understand it at all.

craft ideas September 18, 2010, 3:58 PM

Its not actually my practice to post comments, but my homie thought my homie would say that this was ubercool.
Anyway, what do you think about due?
Sincerly

google adsense advertising September 19, 2010, 6:16 AM

yours truly would like to put a link to your site on my site roll if you want to do teh same for mine. It would be a good way to build up both of our readerships.
My bro will put your site on my blogroll.

how to make money on ebay secrets September 19, 2010, 6:22 AM

Hey You
Its not actually my practice to post comments, but I thought I would say that this was impressive.
meself am going to bookmark and read more often
Ciao

make money online from home September 19, 2010, 6:31 AM

Good Day
i am impressed by teh effort that went into your writing and teh way you managed to keep teh flow from Introduction of teh topic to teh summary. Do you think you might cover recent developments in tradition or what are your thoughts about that.

google money machine September 22, 2010, 9:50 AM

You know, myself have to tell you, myself really like this site and da insight from everyone who participates. myself find it to be refreshing and very informative. myself wish there were more blogs like it. Anyway, myself felt it was about time myself posted, I
Talk Later

make money online poker September 22, 2010, 9:50 AM

Every one on internet searches for really tight content. Its very unfortunate with most of the websites published posts that are boring and out of context articles, just to show that new material is being published. Contrary to that immoral practice, this article is a really tight-written article.
My bro am going to bookmark and read more often

home party business opportunities September 22, 2010, 9:52 AM

You know, myself have to tell you, myself really enjoy this site and teh insight from everyone who participates. myself find it very great
Goodbye

research in motion September 23, 2010, 8:09 PM

Yo Bro
you read a few of your other posts and wanted to know if you would be interested in exchanging blogroll links?
Cu Later

cameras brookwood September 24, 2010, 3:25 PM

i look forward to reading more from you. Have a nice week.
my homie love teh site template

dodge parts September 25, 2010, 6:21 AM

Hi Homie
Hey are you a professional journalist? This article is very well written, as compared to most other sites yours truly saw today. anyhow thank you extremely much for da great read!
my homie look forward to reading more in da future.
Cu

nfl undefined September 25, 2010, 6:59 PM

Well this kind of information is really worth searching for, really cool information for readers and a value for you as will definitely show teh quality of teh writer. Its really cool to have these kinds of articles around to keep teh information flow steady. Helping those who really can make things right in teh future, really cool work!
Please email me if you are interested
Cu Later

commercial building loan September 25, 2010, 6:59 PM

Hey..just want to let you know i appreciate your i and some of your posts? well..lol..not really many ones, but i like da idea
Buh Bye

make money online surveys reviews September 25, 2010, 9:27 PM

Hey Me came across your page by luck on ask while hunting for something totally irrelevant but Me am very glad that Me did, You have just captured yourself another subscriber.

earn money online surveys September 26, 2010, 4:25 PM

Greets
Refreshing and very informative. myself wish there were more blogs like it. Anyway, myself felt it was about time myself posted, I

online business  September 26, 2010, 6:54 PM

my homie am excited already as my homie know you always have pretty cool stuff.
i discovered your homepage by coincidence.