Parents Pissed about Obama School Song

See the YouTube video and judge for yourself.

Some parents are up in arms about a video posted on YouTube that appears to show a B. Bernice Young Elementary School class in Burlington, N.J., being taught to sing a song about President Obama.

Do you think this is a big deal, or much ado about nothing?

next: 14 Facts about Paula Deen
Anonymous September 24, 2009, 12:48 PM

I’m thinking in this political climate, the teacher overstepped her boundaries here. I’m a huge fan of Obama’s and like the song’s message, but I have to look at it fairly - how would I have reacted during the last administration if my kid had been taught a song praising George W. Bush? A song about equality mentioning no one specifically, or several noteworthy people, would’ve been more appropriate.

cyndi September 24, 2009, 1:13 PM

More messiah worship foisted on innocent children. Considering the rude, ignorant,disrespectful treatment that President Bush received, this makes me sick. If this happened in my kids’ school, trust me, I’d see to it that it didn’t happen again.

dean September 24, 2009, 1:21 PM

That’s a little too much, but hey if I disagree openly about it then I am a racist. *rolls eyes*

Jamie  September 24, 2009, 1:21 PM

yea we got rid of religion so lets keep patriotisim out of the schools too. Ban all songs about George Washington and Abraham Lincoln while you are at it. No more Pledge or Star Spangled Banner either.
If the song was pushing his political agenda I could understand being upset, but it simply, teaching our children to honor their President.

chris September 24, 2009, 1:33 PM

this song isn’t about honoring the president, it’s about honoring one man who happens it be the president. I would throw a fit if this song was being taught at my children school! And no I am NOT a racist. And the change this man wants is NOT change that I believe in. And YES I am a democrat…but won’t make that mistake again w/him.

Caroline September 24, 2009, 1:38 PM

Jamie- If you don’t think that’s pushing his political agenda I suggest you read the words, and open your eyes.

I support Obama mostly, but this is really inappropriate. these kids are singing about what he’s going to do for the economy when kid’s that age shouldn’t be expected to even know what the word”economy” means, and it is totally indoctrinating them into a specific political view when they’re too young to question it, and in a position where they would most likely get in trouble anyway if they did. this is an abuse of a position of authority over these kids.

Charles September 24, 2009, 2:06 PM

The kids in school used to sing praise of Hitler too.

Wendi September 24, 2009, 2:09 PM

This is totally unacceptable. I would not tolerate this if my children were forced to sing this. Children should not be used as pawns to push his agenda. This is why there are going to be so many more homeschooled kids out there.

Dee September 24, 2009, 2:09 PM

This is terrible. Not everyone agrees that he is number one and by forcing impressionable children to chant the beliefs of their teacher is WRONG. Nearly half of Americans disagree with Obama on MANY of his policies - from abortion to health care to the handling of the economy. This teacher deserves to lose her job for using her authoritative postion to push HER view on politics on young children who are trained to obey their teachers.

Anonymous September 24, 2009, 6:55 PM

Yo Mama Obama

chris September 25, 2009, 5:11 AM

From what I understand the school superintentant is not upset about the teacher teaching these songs to the kid in kindergarten but upset that someone leaked this video to youtube. That actually upsets me even more. It’s just like Acorn is upset not being of the corrupt in thier organization but upset because Hannah Giles illegally video tape them. TOO BAD…if the “real” journalist who go out there and do real investigation like that should and just to do, we wouldn’t have the need for the every day citizen to take on these issues and expose them. I just hope more will do it.

Dora September 25, 2009, 9:02 AM

Forcing sex on children is a crime. Forcing ideology on children is equally perverse. Momlogic falls very short if the reaction to this is not revulsion.

ThatGuy September 25, 2009, 9:12 AM

> Forcing sex on children is a crime. Forcing ideology on children is equally perverse.

And what do you think all the churches do?

chris September 25, 2009, 10:15 AM

Thatguy - you must really have a hatred of God…and the last time I check Obama isn’t God. How I raise my children and what I teach them is for me to decide NOT my children school! How would you like your children to be taught about God in school? Oh, that’s right you can’t mention God in public schools or say prayers. If my kids can’t praise God in school, then I’ll be damn if they are going to praise Obama!

Tom Biller September 25, 2009, 10:46 AM

You could take the name “Barack Hussein Obama” out and replace it with “Our Dear Leader” and this would be a scene out of stalinist Russia or modern day N. Korea. Children should not receive political indoctrination in the classroom. Anyone who disagrees, answer one question honestly…How would you have reacted if a teacher had taught kids to sing the praises of George W Bush?

Mike September 25, 2009, 11:12 AM

One verse is taken from the Song “Jesus Loves the Little Children” but replaces “Jesus” with “Barak Hussein Obama” (Be they yellow, black or white). Any message here? Mmmmmmm mmmmm mmmmmm.

Jamie September 25, 2009, 12:35 PM

Three words, “Remember Hitler’s Youth?”

Keep the indoctrination out of school, especially the schools we publicly pay for.

Our kids in the US are falling farther behind the kids in other countries every year in core subjects like math, science and reading. This political propaganda has no place in school.

Donna September 25, 2009, 1:13 PM

This is WRONG! If they did this at my childs school without me knowing, I would definitely be ticked off. Stick to the subjects that need to be taught and leave politics out of the schools.

Misti September 25, 2009, 6:27 PM

well, we sing songs about other presidents..i think people need to chill. So they sing a fun song and respect their President and learn a few facts.
I don’t get it and I am not a fan of his. I think people need to move on and stop making a mountain out of a hill.

Terrie September 25, 2009, 10:39 PM

Get a grip on reality people. Kids have been singing similar songs and reciting similar poetry about past figures in America’s history as long as I can remember. This was nothing more than an innocent little jingle to honor the first black President during Black History Month.

America has become a nation of whiney, intolerant, malcontents and bigots. What THEY are teaching our children is far, far worse than anything contained in the lyrics of this simple little song.