Jon Gosselin: 'I Despise Kate'

He didn't mince words in his GMA interview.

jon cant stand kate gosselin

Jon Gosselin appeared on "Good Morning America" this morning to tell HIS side of the story. In a no-holds-barred interview, he comes clean about his feelings for his soon-to-be ex. He says the animosity between them has grown so strong, they now shoot "Jon and Kate Plus 8" separately.

"We film it separately," Gosselin said. "She has her film crew. And I have my film crew. But I can't sit on the sofa with that woman. I can't sit [with] someone right now that I despise."

Whoa!

"I despise [her] because she's not speaking from the heart," he said. "Please -- the stuff you tell me in private should be the stuff you tell me on TV. Our relationship will never be fixed. I think down the road we might be friends, but at this point in time, I don't think so."

Does Jon still love Kate? "I will always love Kate as the mother of my kids. But to tell you right now, at this point of what's going on, I do not love Kate."

In response, Kate Gosselin gave the following statement to ABC News:

"While I certainly have a very different perception of how our marriage dissolved, for the sake of my children I maintain that I'm not going to go into details of aspects I believe should remain private," Kate Gosselin said in the statement.

Jon Gosselin also maintains he didn't cheat on Kate.

"I didn't leave Kate for Hailey. People think I left Kate for Hailey ... because of the time frame and what they printed in the tabloids," Gosselin said. "You can't control who you love. I strongly believe that. You cannot control that. It's two people joined together."

Gosselin says Glassman is the "polar opposite of Kate."

"I get encouragement from her, I get respect from her. Two things that a man needs," he says. "This is someone, I mean, like soul mate -- like people joke about that. But I'm not joking about that."

He says he's in love.

"I have so much to lose ... in this situation," Gosselin told GMA's Chris Cuomo. "I could lose custody, I could lose my kids, I could lose -- but I feel like with [Glassman] that I'm not going to lose them. It's just going to get better."

Does Jon think Kate is or was involved with her bodyguard?

"I speculate, but I don't know -- that's a general feel. You know, almost like when they were traveling together, I felt jealous," he said. "Here, I'm Mr. Mom. And then there's some other guy traveling with my wife. Whether it's protection or not, it's all in -- it's in the back of my mind."

Jon also says he fully realizes what the public majority thinks of him right now.

"It's just like the change from America's favorite dad to dirtbag. Tomorrow I could be maybe ... America's favorite dad again. It could be after this interview. I don't know," he said. "Whatever they want to write, let them write it. They're going to write it anyway. I've learned that lesson."

Watch more on "Primetime: Family Secrets," at 10 PM ET.

Does this interview make you feel any more sympathy for Jon Gosselin?

15 Things about Jon and Kate

#1

The couple met at a picnic in 1997; they were married two years later.

#2

Kate is two years older than Jon.

#3

Kate was born in Hershey, Pennsylvania, at Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, the same hospital where she would give birth to her own children.

#4

Jon is of French, Irish, and Korean descent. His mother was born and raised in Hawaii.

#5

Kate sought fertility treatment after she was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.

#6

In the beginning, Kate was pregnant with septuplets, not sextuplets, but one of the fetuses was lost prior to delivery.

#7

The sextuplets were born premature at 30 weeks.

#8

The Gosselin family's first television appearance was on the Discovery Health Channel in 2005, on a show called "Surviving Sextuplets and Twins."

#9

A year later, they were featured in another special, entitled "Surviving Sextuplets and Twins: One Year Later." Eventually the title was changed to "Jon and Kate Plus 8," and the show moved to the TLC channel in 2008.

#10

In order for the crew to film "Jon and Kate Plus 8," they had to install permanent studio light fixtures in the Gosselin's home.

#11

Kate got her tummy tuck in 2006.

#12

It's estimated that the family receives $25,000 to $50,000 per episode.

#13

Jon and Kate filed for divorce on June 20, 2009.

#14

Jon has reportedly dated two women since the breakdown of his marriage: 23-year-old teacher Deanna Hummel, and most recently, Hailey Glassman, the daughter of the plastic surgeon who performed Kate's tummy tuck.

#15

Jon and Kate's child custody agreement allegedly says their eight children will remain in their Pennsylvania home, and the two of them will move back and forth, rather than uproot the children.

next: Why Are Girls Getting Their Periods So Early?
Jill September 8, 2009, 8:21 AM

Jon Gosselin shut your trap. I use to be your supporter… now, you’re a big baby who says on national TV that you despise your wife. I’m sure your kids will love to hear that. You were so worried about them googling you, now you are spewing your idiocy with your pot-smoking, arrest record 22-yr old girlfriend. Yeah for you.

lee September 8, 2009, 8:35 AM

Puhlease, after this interview you deserve to be berated. Shame on you for speaking this way in front of your children. You selfish spoiled brat.

sara September 8, 2009, 8:35 AM

I hope that the judge making the decisions regarding child custody realizes how harmful Jon’s recent actions have been to the kids and gives him very limited access to them.
He really,really needs to learn to keep quiet.

Anonymous September 8, 2009, 8:35 AM

Amen Jill…this guy needs to shut up. WTH is wrong with him! One day his kids are going to hate him. Just go a live your life that you wanted so bad and leave kate alone.

Anonymous September 8, 2009, 8:36 AM

Sounds like he wasted $22,000.00!

Leeza September 8, 2009, 8:41 AM

Kate and Jon remind me of “war of the roses”.They both try so hard to compete for public sympathy. Each one slandering the other on a daily basis.They are both so immature and reactive.Their dirty laundry should be a private matter, not aired on t.v. interviews and front page magazine covers and worst of all the internet!They each say they love their children so much. Well, then they need to think of the permanant emotional damage they are doing to them and they need to zip their mouths shut and never again speak negatively about each other.A child’s self esteem gets destroyed in ugly divorces.They blame themselves for their parents demise.Kate and Jon need to swallow their inflated egos and false pride, for the sake of their innocent children.Jon and Kate desperately need indivisual counseling to learn how to forgive each other, for their children’s sakes and for their own sakes.Without closure, they can never move forward and find peace and true happiness!It’s due time for a new chapter (a healthy one) in Jon, Kate and their kids lives.

Tina September 8, 2009, 8:43 AM

What Jon had to say should have been said to a marriage counselor and HE NEEDS TO BE COUNSELED. He has no clue how much harm he is doing to his children. Nobody should ever say they despise the partner of their children, even if it is what they think. Get into counseng, Jon, before you spew more hate. Think of your children first, not last..there are more important things than YOU in this situation..

karen September 8, 2009, 9:03 AM

Do you people not remember the way that Kate talked to him on the show? Do you not think that if she talked to him like that on camera could you imagine what it was like off camera?

YVONNE September 8, 2009, 9:03 AM

PLEASE IF THAT WOMAN WAS MY WIFE AND I AM A WOMAN I WOULD OF STRAYED TOO, SHE BE LITTLED HIM EVERY CHANCE SHE GOT DONT GET ME WRONG I LIKE HER I THINK SE IS A WONDERFUL MOTHER BUT SHE WAS A TERRIBLE WIFE TO TALK TO HER HUSBAND THAT WAY ON NATIONAL TV YOU NEVER SAW HIM TALKING TO HER THAT WAY SO WHY IS OK FOR HER TO GET AWAY WITH EVERYTHING AND HE IS THE DIRT-BAG BECAUSE HE HAS ALREADY FOUND SOMEONE TO TREAT HIM WITH RESPECT YOU GO JON A WOMAN AFTER YOUR HEART

tess September 8, 2009, 9:11 AM

Jon, Are you afraid that you will have to join the real world ? Maybe for the sake of the children you should take a hike!

julie September 8, 2009, 9:13 AM

I agree Jon should not have said a few things he did but has anybody really watched the show lately. He has not said much till now but I am surprized the marriage lasted this long. Kate appears to me to be money hungry and attention seeking.
I would hope for the kids sake they try to get along but it doesn’t look good for the future.

r.buehl September 8, 2009, 9:17 AM

I feel sorry for the entire family.
What a horrible experience to endure. I was the product of a broken home and I know it is very painful. My Dad is now 84 and it has only been in the last few years that I have a healthy relationship with him. This is what Jon has to look forward to I fear…many years of separation from his children. In fairness, if Jon and Kate have such disrespect for each other the children are better off without him being around…I do not watch the program any more and I use to love it..They have lost more than their marriage, which apparently was “made for TV,”

Jess September 8, 2009, 9:18 AM

Oh grow up you cry baby. Oh I want to go PARTY. He is such a baby what woman would want him. Everybody is sick of him.

concerned mom September 8, 2009, 9:18 AM

It seems to me that Jon is all play and no responsibility. He goes out and boinks 20 somethings while Kate has full day to day responsibilites of rasing the kids—-I think Jon hit his mid life crises waaaaaay to early. Jon, grow up and start dating adult women who can handle your brod. The girls (and I do mean girls) you are dating have no clue about married life, let alone with all the baggage you come along with.

Donna September 8, 2009, 9:18 AM

I stopped watching the “Jon & Kate” show a short time ago. My heart breaks for those children. Their selfish money hungry parents should have child service involved in their lives! A divorce affects everyone in the family! Isn’t it child abuse to show mental abuse in front of the children. To expose the young children to name calling, criminal girlfriends and media abuse….who is protecting these children! Jon and Kate…SHUT UP! Stop hoaring yourself for money on the reputation of your children!

MiMi September 8, 2009, 9:20 AM

Grow up!

Pam September 8, 2009, 9:20 AM

You have got to be kidding me! He is a loser who left his marriage because he didn’t get to experience his 20’s? I have never heard anything more selfish in my life. What next? Jon IS acting like a 20 year old. And the enire nation is witnessing it including his children.Of course she belittled him he is a spineless whimp who acts like a child.

aknamie September 8, 2009, 9:28 AM

Jon and Kate - who cares. The children should be the ones that matter. What Jon and Kate do as adults is their business between the two of them. Any one that has been divorced knows that things are said in anger they just don’t have the everyone so interested in their words.

Megan September 8, 2009, 9:28 AM

Jon is disgusting anymore.

Yvonne, there’s a reason they have marriage counseling. Both parties are guilty to some degree. I don’t think it’s right to totally say what you would do in that situation. There are alternatives to doing what they each are doing.

I come from a divorced family. I’m nineteen and living with my grandmother while I work full time to save money for college. I can say this is a direct result of my parents despising each other and not caring about what they said about each other in front of their children.

My Nana (grandmother) is more of a mother to me than my own mother. I don’t even speak to either of my parents anymore.

Parents today need to learn how to react to their partners, e-partners, what have you especially when a child will see, hear or be able to find out about it.

Imagine what those kids go through at school. Kara and Maddie are old enough that I’m sure their friend’s parents talk about this at home, and most kids bring this stuff into school. It’s very sad to me.

Anonymous September 8, 2009, 9:29 AM

I don’t believe that either of them have their children’s best interest at heart. Jon has made it clear that he enjoys his new life in New York (away from the kids). And Kate…she sure puts on a good show for the cameras. I really used to feel sorry for Jon, he took a lot from Kate. But I don’t feel sorry for him anymore. He said you “can’t control who you love?” Maybe that’s true, but you sure can control what you do with that person. He has children that will see all of this, he should be more aware of that. They will see the pictures, they will hear what he says. And I’m sure he doesn’t like Kate, but to say that he despises hert on national television. Grow up!!! The kids act more mature than that!!!