Jon Gosselin: 'I Despise Kate'

He didn't mince words in his GMA interview.

jon cant stand kate gosselin

Jon Gosselin appeared on "Good Morning America" this morning to tell HIS side of the story. In a no-holds-barred interview, he comes clean about his feelings for his soon-to-be ex. He says the animosity between them has grown so strong, they now shoot "Jon and Kate Plus 8" separately.

"We film it separately," Gosselin said. "She has her film crew. And I have my film crew. But I can't sit on the sofa with that woman. I can't sit [with] someone right now that I despise."

Whoa!

"I despise [her] because she's not speaking from the heart," he said. "Please -- the stuff you tell me in private should be the stuff you tell me on TV. Our relationship will never be fixed. I think down the road we might be friends, but at this point in time, I don't think so."

Does Jon still love Kate? "I will always love Kate as the mother of my kids. But to tell you right now, at this point of what's going on, I do not love Kate."

In response, Kate Gosselin gave the following statement to ABC News:

"While I certainly have a very different perception of how our marriage dissolved, for the sake of my children I maintain that I'm not going to go into details of aspects I believe should remain private," Kate Gosselin said in the statement.

Jon Gosselin also maintains he didn't cheat on Kate.

"I didn't leave Kate for Hailey. People think I left Kate for Hailey ... because of the time frame and what they printed in the tabloids," Gosselin said. "You can't control who you love. I strongly believe that. You cannot control that. It's two people joined together."

Gosselin says Glassman is the "polar opposite of Kate."

"I get encouragement from her, I get respect from her. Two things that a man needs," he says. "This is someone, I mean, like soul mate -- like people joke about that. But I'm not joking about that."

He says he's in love.

"I have so much to lose ... in this situation," Gosselin told GMA's Chris Cuomo. "I could lose custody, I could lose my kids, I could lose -- but I feel like with [Glassman] that I'm not going to lose them. It's just going to get better."

Does Jon think Kate is or was involved with her bodyguard?

"I speculate, but I don't know -- that's a general feel. You know, almost like when they were traveling together, I felt jealous," he said. "Here, I'm Mr. Mom. And then there's some other guy traveling with my wife. Whether it's protection or not, it's all in -- it's in the back of my mind."

Jon also says he fully realizes what the public majority thinks of him right now.

"It's just like the change from America's favorite dad to dirtbag. Tomorrow I could be maybe ... America's favorite dad again. It could be after this interview. I don't know," he said. "Whatever they want to write, let them write it. They're going to write it anyway. I've learned that lesson."

Watch more on "Primetime: Family Secrets," at 10 PM ET.

Does this interview make you feel any more sympathy for Jon Gosselin?

15 Things about Jon and Kate

#1

The couple met at a picnic in 1997; they were married two years later.

#2

Kate is two years older than Jon.

#3

Kate was born in Hershey, Pennsylvania, at Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, the same hospital where she would give birth to her own children.

#4

Jon is of French, Irish, and Korean descent. His mother was born and raised in Hawaii.

#5

Kate sought fertility treatment after she was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.

#6

In the beginning, Kate was pregnant with septuplets, not sextuplets, but one of the fetuses was lost prior to delivery.

#7

The sextuplets were born premature at 30 weeks.

#8

The Gosselin family's first television appearance was on the Discovery Health Channel in 2005, on a show called "Surviving Sextuplets and Twins."

#9

A year later, they were featured in another special, entitled "Surviving Sextuplets and Twins: One Year Later." Eventually the title was changed to "Jon and Kate Plus 8," and the show moved to the TLC channel in 2008.

#10

In order for the crew to film "Jon and Kate Plus 8," they had to install permanent studio light fixtures in the Gosselin's home.

#11

Kate got her tummy tuck in 2006.

#12

It's estimated that the family receives $25,000 to $50,000 per episode.

#13

Jon and Kate filed for divorce on June 20, 2009.

#14

Jon has reportedly dated two women since the breakdown of his marriage: 23-year-old teacher Deanna Hummel, and most recently, Hailey Glassman, the daughter of the plastic surgeon who performed Kate's tummy tuck.

#15

Jon and Kate's child custody agreement allegedly says their eight children will remain in their Pennsylvania home, and the two of them will move back and forth, rather than uproot the children.

next: Why Are Girls Getting Their Periods So Early?
BEEBEE September 8, 2009, 9:30 AM

TLC needs to cancel Jon & Kate plus 8. It’s destroying the family values. Jon is just a big cry baby. It was ok when he was in the spot light. Now that Kate is the one he’s crying like a little girl.

For heavens sake CANCEL JON & KATE PLUS 8. If TLC truly cares about this family cancel the show. It’s not worth tuning into any more.

Shelly Bilock September 8, 2009, 9:33 AM

Hearing Jon speak after all this time and watching the show like I have done in the past. I do believe him,It was good to hear his side after all this time. Although I dont agree with his action before the couple spilt knowing that they live very public lives, and have very young kids. I think they both need to remeber that they need to but their CHILDRENS needs first before there own, I am too divorced I have been down this road and it can get bumpy before it gets easier. Best of Luck to them Both!!

rhonda September 8, 2009, 9:36 AM

this does not change the way i feel about either of the gosselin parents, i think that they are both very selfish people, only looking out for themselves. it is sad that he cant stay in the country (even if its with his “new love” and she cant stop her book tours to be there for their kids like they should be. stop the taping, stop the interviews, dont they really understand that one day the kids are going to be out here online and see all that really went on in and out side of their parents marriage? put the kids first for heavens sake!

sandy September 8, 2009, 9:39 AM

He is a big baby and should not have had children. He acts like a kid himself. Kate was hard on him on the show (thats the only area I know about) but it like she had to tell him what to do. He was always moving ahead and not taking any of the children and Kate had to shout and tell him Jon come help me with the kids. You would think that he knew he had children. I really do not know about their private life, nor does anyone else. You don’t know what goes on behind closed doors. Jon has just talked too much and it makes him look like a big baby. Kate has not been so vocal. She is a smart woman.

Vic September 8, 2009, 9:51 AM

It’s about time he stood up for himself. His kids won’t hate him but rather respect him for not letting Kate run all over him on national TV. How healthy is that relationship? All of the Jon bashers out there are just annoyed that he finally left her abuse and is getting on with his life. A divorce with kids does not mean you have to live like a monk! Good for him that he is getting some attention from a younger woman. Anything is better than what he got from Kate!

Anonymous September 8, 2009, 9:57 AM

Wonders WHY people rant about how bad Jon is? Really? for YEARS he was under the BS and ridicule of Kate. You all talk about how he could say what he has said about her? What about the years he took the abuse from Kate…IN FRONT OF THE KIDS…how is that ok? She has gone on every tv station and talked to every paper about how HE has cheated on HER. Yet she says nothing about HER time with her bodyguard? Do we believe SHE has never done anything? or is it just because she is a woman that we can all blow it off? She has become such a snotty witch, and money hungry that it is absolutely horrible. Jon has made mistakes, but so has Kate…I think people should look at both sides and then ask yourself..”what would I do in the same situation”? Divorce is not easy, for anyone….not too many couples are friends during one… please just look at both sides, if you’ve watched the show, then you’ve seen how awful Kate was to Jon and understand his actions now. A person can only take so much! I used to watch the show regularly, but shut it off because I could not stand the way Kate was with Jon AND her kids. As horrible as they are now getting.

Sandra September 8, 2009, 10:01 AM

Poor Jon! Has life not been idealist as your dream? Well wake up. No one told you to have eight children. Be a man and take care of them. Your play days should be over, but your are so immature. You had better watch your big mouth and quit spewing. They could take you show off TV and then you would have to go out and work like a REAL MAN. Child support for eight children is quit high. You would then have no more time to act like a 20 year old with no responsibility.

Cat B September 8, 2009, 10:01 AM

Anyone with HALF A BRAIN knows you do NOT publicly bash your ex during or after a divorce. You just dont do it. That is why Kate has more of my respect, because she doesnt stoop to that level. What do you think the kids are gonna say when they see this interview some day? Or google ‘Daddy’ and find all the stories? I know Kate is not perfect, but she’s always done the best that she can given the odds. Its not like any of their kids are going to wake up one day and say “I dont love my mom anymore either” SO Jon should keep his fat mouth shut for the sake of his kids. Period.

JEAN September 8, 2009, 10:02 AM

I WATCHED JOHN AND KATE PLUS 8 ONE TIME OH MY THE WAY SHE TALKED TO HIM WOW

Doug September 8, 2009, 11:10 AM

Kate is the most egotistical, controlling, spoiled cry baby I have ever witnessed. While she insists that she is doing everything for her children, I believe she thinks primarily of herself. If I were Jon, I’d have left her a long time ago. I believe the whole concept of the show was and is ill-coceived (In part, it ruined the marriage). The best thing that could happen to those poor kids would be for this stupid, vapid, patronizing television show to be humanely cancelled.

Recently, a whole episode revolved around how “brave” Kate was to actually ride a horse and how she was overcoming her fears for the sake of her children. She spent the whole episode reveling in the absence of the papparazi. Think a moment, Kate! Those papparazi and the attention they bring to your worthless a-s are responsible for the luxurious lifestyle to which you’ve become so hedonistically accustomed. Methinks the lady doth protest too much. Makes me want to puke.

Karol September 8, 2009, 11:25 AM

I believe that Jon has been given the “short end of the stick” when it comes to what has happened. We all judge on his actions of late but how about his actions while filming this show from the begining. I have been a fan from the begining and have always said that I felt that Kate treated Jon with no respect and abused him mentally.What he is doing now should have no barring on what happened before the marriage feel apart.

Momof2 September 8, 2009, 11:59 AM

Just when I thought Jon could stoop no lower….here he is, “despising” the mother of his children for the world to hear. Including his children. What a piece of work!

Vickie September 8, 2009, 1:55 PM

I only feel sorry for the kids. They both are doing harm to the children. Jon airs his issues and Kate and her need for money. Kate is just as bad as Jon. She has aired her problems in the past.

Boo Hoo! Bunch of babies!!

robi September 8, 2009, 2:43 PM

Kate is always saying that she is doing the TV show for her kids, thats BS, she likes the spotlight, salon treatments, nannys running around helping her, etc.,plus shes got the bodyguard who I feel she knows better than just her protector.I was reading an article in People Mag. that one of her kids saw her KISSING the married man. You don’t see or hear about her actions on TV, just Jons. He is right to leave this nisty mouth women and should have done it long time ago before her head got so big, thinkinng she is a star when she should be focused on her kids and husband.

Nikii September 8, 2009, 3:47 PM

Why is it that everyone is always blaming the men in the relationship for going wrong? I mean really every time a couple in the public eye splits up everyone in the world automaticaly blames the man what about the woman? what has she done? I honestly believe this man and I think most of the people out there blaming him need to look back if its that serious for you look back from the beginning of the show I have watched this show maybe 3 times and each time that ive watched it i never got a good feeling from it and it was that woman who did all the yelling and what not. We as women should be up lifting our men not pointing out their flaws

Jess September 8, 2009, 6:37 PM

Not the best behavior when his kids could be watching, but the guy was treated like a dog for 10 years!

I am shocked at the response and disbelief greeting him with his assertion that he was abused. If the shoe was on the other foot and Kate had said the things he said, everyone would be giving her undying support, but because he is a man he’s ridiculed and made fun of.

Will we ever make women as accountable for abuse as men? Will women ever cop to equal treatment when it comes to this issue?

Abuse is a human issue, not a gender issue.

Corey September 8, 2009, 7:00 PM

I think Kate is a two faced, abusive, controlling, kid using b*tch. She needs to get a life and stop playing the victim which she has never been. The state of her marriage is her own fault. So jon is playing now, after being under repressive control for more then a decade he’s cutting loose a little, so what.He has been there for his kids. When it is his turn to be at the house with them he is. That is the agreement between him and kate. what do you all expect him to do when it is kate’s turn… sit at home and twiddle his thumbs? He found his voice after all these years, he is most likely angry and has every right to be, kate is a waste.

morgibaby September 8, 2009, 8:57 PM

This whole situation makes me sad. Sad that is was filmed from the beginning. I did always say though that they really needed counceling from the start because she really did talk down to him and emasculated him in front of everyone and he just took it. He snapped and everyone but them could see it coming.

marge September 8, 2009, 8:59 PM

People, people!! Yes, OK Kate is a big b****. Whatever! Why did it take Jon 10 years to “stand up” for himself? Here is a reality check for ya; people treat you, the way you let them treat you. He didn’t just get “abused” one day, he knew what he was getting into when he married her. He knew this before he had six children, or at least he should have. Now he decides that he has to “stand up for himself” and wants to blame her for “abuse”? I am so embarrassed for him. He sounds like a teenager rebelling against authority on national TV for Pete’s sakes! In the end, whatever Kate did, however horrible she was (and yes those details should stay private no thanks to Jon) she deserves the respect that comes with being the Mother of his children. Very slowly again….The. Mother. Of. His. Children. This man is a waste of space.

Meg September 8, 2009, 9:59 PM

This whole situation is so sad. I have watched this show from the very beginning. The kids are not either one of their number one priority. The family wouldn’t have been able to do half the things they have done, or continue to do, if it weren’t for the show. I come from a broken home too. I know first hand the detriment this can have on one, let alone eight. I hope and pray that one day the kids can just be kids, without money and ratings involved. It doesn’t matter who said what or who did what, all that matters is the kids are number one priority, and they both have lost sight of that.