Jon Gosselin: 'I Despise Kate'

He didn't mince words in his GMA interview.

jon cant stand kate gosselin

Jon Gosselin appeared on "Good Morning America" this morning to tell HIS side of the story. In a no-holds-barred interview, he comes clean about his feelings for his soon-to-be ex. He says the animosity between them has grown so strong, they now shoot "Jon and Kate Plus 8" separately.

"We film it separately," Gosselin said. "She has her film crew. And I have my film crew. But I can't sit on the sofa with that woman. I can't sit [with] someone right now that I despise."

Whoa!

"I despise [her] because she's not speaking from the heart," he said. "Please -- the stuff you tell me in private should be the stuff you tell me on TV. Our relationship will never be fixed. I think down the road we might be friends, but at this point in time, I don't think so."

Does Jon still love Kate? "I will always love Kate as the mother of my kids. But to tell you right now, at this point of what's going on, I do not love Kate."

In response, Kate Gosselin gave the following statement to ABC News:

"While I certainly have a very different perception of how our marriage dissolved, for the sake of my children I maintain that I'm not going to go into details of aspects I believe should remain private," Kate Gosselin said in the statement.

Jon Gosselin also maintains he didn't cheat on Kate.

"I didn't leave Kate for Hailey. People think I left Kate for Hailey ... because of the time frame and what they printed in the tabloids," Gosselin said. "You can't control who you love. I strongly believe that. You cannot control that. It's two people joined together."

Gosselin says Glassman is the "polar opposite of Kate."

"I get encouragement from her, I get respect from her. Two things that a man needs," he says. "This is someone, I mean, like soul mate -- like people joke about that. But I'm not joking about that."

He says he's in love.

"I have so much to lose ... in this situation," Gosselin told GMA's Chris Cuomo. "I could lose custody, I could lose my kids, I could lose -- but I feel like with [Glassman] that I'm not going to lose them. It's just going to get better."

Does Jon think Kate is or was involved with her bodyguard?

"I speculate, but I don't know -- that's a general feel. You know, almost like when they were traveling together, I felt jealous," he said. "Here, I'm Mr. Mom. And then there's some other guy traveling with my wife. Whether it's protection or not, it's all in -- it's in the back of my mind."

Jon also says he fully realizes what the public majority thinks of him right now.

"It's just like the change from America's favorite dad to dirtbag. Tomorrow I could be maybe ... America's favorite dad again. It could be after this interview. I don't know," he said. "Whatever they want to write, let them write it. They're going to write it anyway. I've learned that lesson."

Watch more on "Primetime: Family Secrets," at 10 PM ET.

Does this interview make you feel any more sympathy for Jon Gosselin?

15 Things about Jon and Kate

#1

The couple met at a picnic in 1997; they were married two years later.

#2

Kate is two years older than Jon.

#3

Kate was born in Hershey, Pennsylvania, at Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, the same hospital where she would give birth to her own children.

#4

Jon is of French, Irish, and Korean descent. His mother was born and raised in Hawaii.

#5

Kate sought fertility treatment after she was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.

#6

In the beginning, Kate was pregnant with septuplets, not sextuplets, but one of the fetuses was lost prior to delivery.

#7

The sextuplets were born premature at 30 weeks.

#8

The Gosselin family's first television appearance was on the Discovery Health Channel in 2005, on a show called "Surviving Sextuplets and Twins."

#9

A year later, they were featured in another special, entitled "Surviving Sextuplets and Twins: One Year Later." Eventually the title was changed to "Jon and Kate Plus 8," and the show moved to the TLC channel in 2008.

#10

In order for the crew to film "Jon and Kate Plus 8," they had to install permanent studio light fixtures in the Gosselin's home.

#11

Kate got her tummy tuck in 2006.

#12

It's estimated that the family receives $25,000 to $50,000 per episode.

#13

Jon and Kate filed for divorce on June 20, 2009.

#14

Jon has reportedly dated two women since the breakdown of his marriage: 23-year-old teacher Deanna Hummel, and most recently, Hailey Glassman, the daughter of the plastic surgeon who performed Kate's tummy tuck.

#15

Jon and Kate's child custody agreement allegedly says their eight children will remain in their Pennsylvania home, and the two of them will move back and forth, rather than uproot the children.

next: Why Are Girls Getting Their Periods So Early?
kiakat September 9, 2009, 2:49 AM

Newsflash Jon! Women despise you!

A not so attractive man whose wife has a litter who sells out to a reality show, oh yeah what a catch. Your marital problems should have been handled within the marriage and the actions taken should have taken into consideration the welfare of your children.

In the beginning, I felt sorry for Jon. But seeing the attitude and lack of respect he gave to his wife and family I think he deserved a lot more that what Kate dished out.

Carolee September 9, 2009, 4:18 AM

I think Kate really treated Jon like crap, but what he did (and continues to do) is wrong, wrong, wrong!

tina September 9, 2009, 4:56 AM

I think he took way too much abuse from Kate and i also don’t think he was prepared for the media frenzy. I think he is better then his recent choices.

Callie September 9, 2009, 5:44 AM

The framework for a solid marriage is love, trust, and respect. However, the little children will pay the price for Jon and Kate’s mistakes.

Dee September 9, 2009, 6:10 AM

This guy is so immature! He’s boo hooing about having kids and being married in his early 20’s, SO WHAT?! ALOT of guys are and don’t go around whining about it. Plus, his gf is in her 20’s, duh!!

Anne September 9, 2009, 6:14 AM

I am a middles aged woman who has had ups and downs in my 30+ year marriage. If you look at the way Kate treated her husband long before this whole incident with the other woman you can see why he strayed. I remember years ago looking at his body language and his eye contact and you can tell being in the limelight was NOT his idea. This show was obviously her way of living the glamorous life and getting money. I don’t believe in adultery but she never respected her husband. She treated him like a servant.

Laura September 9, 2009, 6:28 AM

Shame on both Jon and Kate, and shame on TLC for continueing to film this train reck. Some day we will hear from the children and they will tell us how this destroyed their childhood.

Kathy  September 9, 2009, 7:02 AM

I did see the way she treated him on camera when they were together and decided to no longer watch the program. I believe it was very disrespectful and I’m not interested in watching a soap opera or Jerry Springer type talk show. I was interested in how they were raising such a large family; she changed that for me. The show is not about how to raise a large family. It’s about a broken marriage which should be handled privately with a counselor. I think Jon should keep quiet and I am sorry for the negative energy this is putting on the children. Poor babies.

Jen September 9, 2009, 7:06 AM

I cant stand Kate, he sould not talk about the mother of his kids so publicly she did talk down to him and degrade him but at least hold back for the kids sake. Jon isnt a bad guy he was traped up for so long he just went wild just like when you cage up a dog when he gets loose he runs all over like a crazy person just like Jon has maybe he will learn from his mistakes and be there for the kids and put all this behind them and act like a adult

TDS September 9, 2009, 9:10 AM

Jon is a selfish and immature man, that probably deserved to be berated by Kate. Kate is obviously the backbone of the family, and although she does come off as controlling and disparaging ,Jon comes off as cowardly and irresponsible. Not a good match.

They are probably better off apart, but really Jon you need to measure your words before you spew out such vile things about the Mother of your 8 children.

Maureen September 9, 2009, 9:47 AM

He is whining BECAUSE Kate is saying things TO him and not the world at large?? Really?? Because she is being mature enough to try to keep their issues private? Are you for real Jon? And waahh waaah my 20s were wasted being married and having kids… uh Jon was there a gun to your head forcing you get married and to agree to having in vitro done twice?? And let’s see what a nice thing for the kids to hear.. having you wasted my life… great. I am amazed… my parents were thrilled having our family.. (5 of us) and never once wished out loud that we didn’t exist!! What a thing for a child to bear.. my Dad thinks my mere existence wasted his life.. uh Jon, what about there life? They didn’t ask to be born to you ya know.. YOU and Kate created them.. grow up and raise them for Pete’s sake.

Regina September 9, 2009, 9:59 AM

yeah Kate is very bossy on tv to jon so you can imagine how she treats Jon off cameras she did treat him like one of the kids i do not blame him for moving on.

Judy September 9, 2009, 10:14 AM

Can Jon and Kate just go away now? And take the Duggars and Octomom with them.

Nicole in Alaska September 9, 2009, 10:14 AM

Both Jon and Kate need to put the shut to the up. :) They are both saying things publicly that their children will one day be able to read and watch clips of, and it shows their total lack of self control and respect.
They both need to grow up and stop putting all of their business in the street!

twoblondiesmommy September 9, 2009, 10:22 AM

Wow it’s funny how quick many of the women here are quick to call him a dirtbag, etc. Kate is positioning herself to look like the martyr think about it if you were married to a vicious witch like her, which she is wouldn’t you run for the hills screaming after you get a way from her. She is EVERY bit at fault as he is. BOTH of them need to get out of the spotlight and focus on their children. Just because she is the mother doesn’t make her the better parent. Children need both parents in their lives, even if they do not live together. Kate needs to get a grip, stop henpecking, stop playing the sympathy card and cut that funky hair. Jon, needs take those stupid earrings out, stop blabbing about your girlfriend and stay out of the spotlight Personally how he stay married to her is beyond me, seems they both are couple sandwiches short of a picnic.

Corey September 9, 2009, 11:59 AM

Marge- U wouldn’t say a woman got what she asked for if she was absued, why would u say he did. Not the right thing to say.
KiaKat- U should not speak for all women.As a woman and a mother I’m on Jon’s side not Kate’s. I can’t stand her.
twoblondiesmommy- Voice of reason.

jennielynn September 9, 2009, 12:00 PM

They both need to shut up and allow their divorce to proceed with as much dignity as they can scrape up. These interviews, even the one with Kate’s brave face, are damaging to their children. Divorce should not be a public circus.

Sheila September 9, 2009, 12:53 PM

I agree with you 100% Donna, this show needs to go away, and that is in the publics hands, we should stop watching it, and then TLC will get the message…they had their 15 minutes if fame and made TONS OF MONEY OFF THEIR KIDS, which should not be trated as a commodity….the only ones i feel sorry for are the children, they did not ask for this craziness…………..JON & KATE GO AWAY….you have more then enough money to live off of, and kate, Beth should be on that book tour with you, she co-wrote, and I am sure you had a ghost writer in there as well……

ROGO September 9, 2009, 2:09 PM

I am soooooo tired of this guy!!!!

Momof2 September 9, 2009, 3:40 PM

Corey-
We are not talking about “abuse” of a minor or of someone who is physically inferior here. We are talking about a GROWN man who allowed his wife to take charge of running a household with 8 children in it. Yes, the way she did it was at times belittling to him. However, over the years he continually allowed it. What I am saying is, why not assert himself and put an end to it in the beginning. Why now? And why this way? Jon chose not to, until now; and, he is doing it in the most humiliating, and public of ways. That is the saddest part of it all.
If the roles were reversed I would expect Kate, or any other woman for that matter, to stand up for herself and the beginning and NOT allow someone to treat them this way. If they stayed, then I would say the same to their whining!