Jon Gosselin Puts Brakes on the Divorce

He filed papers today to delay their split.

Jon Gosselin

Jon and Kate were due to be officially divorced by the end of November -- but now Jon Gosselin tells In Touch he's had a change of heart. "I regret my conduct since Kate and I separated [on June 22]," Jon tells In Touch exclusively. "I used poor judgment in publicly socializing with other women so soon."

Today Jon reportedly submitted a document to a Pennsylvania court-approved arbitrator, which he hopes will suspend his split with Kate for 90 days. He explains, "This will enable Kate and me to restore our relationship as cooperative parents and to open up our lines of communication. I hope that she will be as receptive and enthusiastic as I am to do what is best for our family."

Jon tells In Touch: "I would like to get back with Kate as a partner in parenting. Even though we were heading for a divorce, it appeared that Kate had been suffering from this divorce as much as I had. That's why I asked my attorney to put the brakes on this divorce so I could try to regain control over the future of our family. So Kate and I could join on a cooperative course that would benefit our family -- not destroy it."

He says: "When Kate broke up with me, I begged her to go with me to counseling. She was totally against it. I think I was reacting to the pain I have been suffering as a result of Kate's rejection of me."

Jon's attorney, Mark Jay Heller, tells In Touch: "He woke up one morning, looked in the mirror and didn't like the reflection. He realized he'd made some bad choices. He is hoping to inspire his wife to become less rigid, inflexible and controlling and open up. We're hoping Jon and Kate can sit down together and start exploring what to do about their situation. Once they do that, the rest will fall into place."

In other Gosselin news, TLC announced today that when the series returns with new episodes in November, it will be retitled "Kate Plus 8," focusing on Kate Gosselin as a single mom, while Jon Gosselin will be reduced to Very Special Guest Star on his own show, in his own life.

"The program will continue to capture the incredible lives of the eight Gosselin children and their family," says the press release, "but will now include a deeper focus on Kate's role in the family and her journey as a single mother building the next chapter in her life. TLC will continue its exclusive relationship with Jon Gosselin and he will continue to appear on the show, but on a less regular basis."

What do you think of TLC's decision to dump Jon ... and Jon's attempts to put the brakes on the divorce?

next: Study Says Kids of Working Moms Unhealthier
chris September 29, 2009, 10:20 AM

I think he just realized that he is gonna lose his meal ticket.

MarcomMom September 29, 2009, 10:43 AM

Yep, he’s going to try to “regain control” over their small fortune, and, sadly, I do not mean the children.

Thena September 29, 2009, 10:44 AM

Decides to put brakes on divorce same day as TLC drops him. Don’t think it is a coincidence. Let him go have his pity party somewhere else. Let Kate and the kids get on with their lives. Kids don’t need it drug out any longer than it has to be.

Samantha K September 29, 2009, 10:50 AM

Since TLC announced they are dropping Jon, even though at the end of their 2008 show he declared on national tv that he did not want to continue” with the show, he is now thinking… Geeze, if I divorce Kate, and if the silly judge does not give me spousal support,even though that makes my ex wife responsible for supporting nine, plus me, people all by herself, I may not be able to do what I’ve been doing over the past nine months. Jon….. I hope Kate,her lawyer and the judge see that you only want the money. Oh wait, perhaps you can move in with the Glassman’s and they can support you….by the way does Hailey have a good job???? has she EVER had a job??

barb September 29, 2009, 10:53 AM

I think it’s all to save face and nobody wants him. The money is drying up so now he wants to crawl back. I think he;s done to much damage. Kate’s not prefect but she didn’t go out and do what jon did nobodys perfect, it’s not an excuse for jon to use for his actions.

bigmomma September 29, 2009, 10:54 AM

I think he calculated 10+ yrs of child support etc…yikes

Patty September 29, 2009, 11:04 AM

I agree.

I’d say this “time” will be used instead for his lawyers to figure out a way to get his hands on some future show revenues, etc.

Sleazy.

Marie September 29, 2009, 11:06 AM

What a creep….

stephanie September 29, 2009, 11:07 AM

I feel badly. He has said so many hurtful things and done so many hurtful things to Kate. Telling everyone that he never loved Kate, and loves Hailey more.Its horrible.

I will watch the show with just kate! I love her to pieces!

woods September 29, 2009, 11:27 AM

Ive been a fan from day one but I’m over this show bring on Little People!!!!!

Momof2 September 29, 2009, 11:29 AM

I’ve said so once, and I’ll say it again. This man is a waste of space. How can he go from saying such horrible things about his wife (I seem to recall the word despise) on one interview to changing his tune completely in the next??? He is an immature, money-seeking fool who has probably already lost it all! Thumbs up to “Kate plus 8”; now I will watch…

Anonymous September 29, 2009, 11:44 AM

how fine the line between love and hate…love the money hate kate…

Anonymous September 29, 2009, 11:46 AM

fine line between love and hate..love the money/hate kate..I too will watch kate plus 8

Kim David September 29, 2009, 11:52 AM

Hopes she gives him a 2nd chance.
The children will have a better life living with a Mom & Dad.
It is not easy for anyone to keep a marriage happy & alive.

Anonymous September 29, 2009, 12:05 PM

I can’t believe the amount of criticism this guy gets. Sure, he has acted like an *ss for the past few months, but can you blame him. How can anyone who has seen this show not realize that this guy has been in an abusive relationship. I have never seen one scene where they are together, where she is not putting him down or on his case about something. I’ve seen her chew him out for breathing too loud, for pete’s sake. There is only so much a person can take. Cut the guy some slack.

sherri September 29, 2009, 12:16 PM

He is defineately thinking about the money! I didn’t hear any comment about dumping Horley. Does he plan on staying with her and parenting the kids with Kate?

ldavis September 29, 2009, 12:21 PM

Jon will learn the lesson the hard way..at the expense of the kids..he already has done so much damaged…

He is immature…and like a little kid..no wonder Kate was hard on him…what did he do behind closed doors that we haven’t seen or heard.

In a year he will be in the poor house begging for spousal support…as he is not camera friendly..non smart enough to handle a career in the public.

Rosel September 29, 2009, 12:46 PM

Everyone makes mistakes; we should give Jon a break; give him some encouragement instead of bashing him. No one knows if money is the issue here. Obviously he loves his children and maybe they both can work things out. If Kate can start showing him some respect and not treat him like a child, there will be improvement in the marriage. He has already put up with 10 years of control so it will not be new. We need to show more compassion, love, patience, understanding and affection to one another. Maybe this world would be a better place for all of us.

Normita September 29, 2009, 12:51 PM

For once, I think he may be on to something; however, the little ones and Kate need to steel themselves so as to not be hurt more. He’s still #1 with himself and always will be. It’s time for us to give all of them support and see where this leads for them as co-parents of 8 wonderful children. I wish I could help Kate - truly.

Marie September 29, 2009, 12:53 PM

I hope the judge doesn’t fall for it!!!