Jon Gosselin Puts Brakes on the Divorce

He filed papers today to delay their split.

Jon Gosselin

Jon and Kate were due to be officially divorced by the end of November -- but now Jon Gosselin tells In Touch he's had a change of heart. "I regret my conduct since Kate and I separated [on June 22]," Jon tells In Touch exclusively. "I used poor judgment in publicly socializing with other women so soon."

Today Jon reportedly submitted a document to a Pennsylvania court-approved arbitrator, which he hopes will suspend his split with Kate for 90 days. He explains, "This will enable Kate and me to restore our relationship as cooperative parents and to open up our lines of communication. I hope that she will be as receptive and enthusiastic as I am to do what is best for our family."

Jon tells In Touch: "I would like to get back with Kate as a partner in parenting. Even though we were heading for a divorce, it appeared that Kate had been suffering from this divorce as much as I had. That's why I asked my attorney to put the brakes on this divorce so I could try to regain control over the future of our family. So Kate and I could join on a cooperative course that would benefit our family -- not destroy it."

He says: "When Kate broke up with me, I begged her to go with me to counseling. She was totally against it. I think I was reacting to the pain I have been suffering as a result of Kate's rejection of me."

Jon's attorney, Mark Jay Heller, tells In Touch: "He woke up one morning, looked in the mirror and didn't like the reflection. He realized he'd made some bad choices. He is hoping to inspire his wife to become less rigid, inflexible and controlling and open up. We're hoping Jon and Kate can sit down together and start exploring what to do about their situation. Once they do that, the rest will fall into place."

In other Gosselin news, TLC announced today that when the series returns with new episodes in November, it will be retitled "Kate Plus 8," focusing on Kate Gosselin as a single mom, while Jon Gosselin will be reduced to Very Special Guest Star on his own show, in his own life.

"The program will continue to capture the incredible lives of the eight Gosselin children and their family," says the press release, "but will now include a deeper focus on Kate's role in the family and her journey as a single mother building the next chapter in her life. TLC will continue its exclusive relationship with Jon Gosselin and he will continue to appear on the show, but on a less regular basis."

What do you think of TLC's decision to dump Jon ... and Jon's attempts to put the brakes on the divorce?

next: Study Says Kids of Working Moms Unhealthier
Ginny September 29, 2009, 5:40 PM

Paula Deen is the sweetest woman. Why would she ever have the evil Kate on her show? I will never watch Kate.

evelyn September 29, 2009, 5:57 PM

every time i see kate on tv i want to take a bat and smash it to bits. good luck mom logic if you are dumb enough to have this wench on your show.

Leeza September 29, 2009, 6:18 PM

REAL men lead not follow, give not take, admit not blame,step up not lay down. Jon needs to shut up and keep his pants up. He can’t even manage to do those 2 simple and MANLY deeds.Jon needs a Life Coach desparately! He hasn’t figured out that he isn’t the only victim here.His children are not only victims of divorce, but victims of a spineless coward of a Dad whose life is spiraling so out of control because of his weakness to temptation.Jon’s childish impulsiveness is so repulsive.He thinks he’s 16 yrs. old again. He’s far from it!

Kandy September 29, 2009, 6:52 PM

Both parents need to shut their traps, get the hell off tv and go take care of all those kids they created.

libby September 29, 2009, 6:55 PM

this gosselin woman needs to focus on her family. why she is still yapping to the press is beyond me… who cares what she has to say? what kind of a mother leaves all 8 small kids and seems to be more interested in her hair? sickening. paula deen can do better her. kate is disgusting.

Hate Kate! September 29, 2009, 6:57 PM

Get her off the tv!!! Boo!!! Hiss!!! Both parents ARE REVOLTING.

Helaine September 29, 2009, 6:59 PM

Can we all just join together and STOP KATE FROM INVADING OUR TVS AND MAGAZINES?!!

I cannot bear to listen to this whiny pain in the butt.

Anonymous September 29, 2009, 7:22 PM

there sure keep the kids out of see for good

kristina September 29, 2009, 8:38 PM

I think Jon is a tool and he only regrets the fact that he is losing his popularity, his true character as a scum bag is coming to light and he has no public sympathy for how he treats and continues to treat Kate who has not sunk into the muck with him. I emailed the network to drop the creep and I am glad my input and other peoples input had some sway. Love kate. Jon you are a toolbox. DIVORCE him kate before he pulls you further down. DEAD WEIGHT and Desperate- Jons new show!!

Cat Lady September 30, 2009, 7:12 AM

The sooner he is gone , the better! Hi conduct in the press is disgusting and shows he cares little about his 8 children. I am sure some of them can read!

Teresa September 30, 2009, 9:32 AM

I don’t disagree with the divorce…anyone who has watched the show could see it was inevitable. Kate was very nasty to him at many points. What I don’t agree with is how he handled the the separation. He was wrong for globetrotting with these women left and right.

That being said, it doesn’t surprise me one bit to see that he is putting the breaks (not stopping completely) the divorce. This whole situation feels very scripted, and I felt this was one of the little zingers that would be thrown out there to the public. Ratings have been down, media attention is not what it used to be, and John has really put himself out there in a bad light.

Nancy September 30, 2009, 10:07 AM

Kate is so phoney…………

suzy September 30, 2009, 12:26 PM

i’d like to make pinatas out of both jon and kate and whack them. that’s what they deserve - not tv time.

Anonymous September 30, 2009, 12:59 PM

how funny how things work out, right?

kim September 30, 2009, 5:15 PM

isn’t everyone sick of the gosselin losers? i mean c’mon, she is some piece of nasty, selfish work. paula deen is a fool to let her on a show with her.

Lisa September 30, 2009, 5:17 PM

OMG, I just read some great trash on Kate. How she is such a diva and won’t talk to anyone when she does an appearance. Gross!!!!

Aimee September 30, 2009, 5:25 PM

Wow…So many women defend Kate. That’s a real shocker. I have yet to meet any other mom who has anything pleasant to say about her. We’re all pretty ticked off that she even has the audacity to go on tv while neglecting those children. The poor older girls already have diva attitudes just like her. Horrible and such a bad example of a mother.

jayne September 30, 2009, 5:28 PM

i really can’t deal with either one of them.

Tiffany October 1, 2009, 3:08 AM

I think he needs to move on, Kate was alwasy very abusive towards him. I am suprised he didnt move on earlier i dont condon cheating but I can understand why someone would cheat on Kate. When I first seen the show I never liked Kate and she was the reason why I stopped watching it. Evrybody says Jon is doing this for the morning but I think Kate is doing the samething so why is she better then him? I think he was stupid to stay with her in the first place, please Jon find someone that will respet you and not put you down on a constant basis.

marie October 1, 2009, 6:17 AM

It is very simple to see what is going on here. Pennsylvania is an equitable distribution state when it comes to divorce, which means all the income plus all the debt is split between them prior to the official divorce. Jon has halted the divorce so he can still claim half of the income. If the divorce is granted in October which it was scheduled for, all the income makes from the re-titled show Kate plus 8 goes to her. He then had his lawyer send TLC a cease and desist on the show, basically to get it off the air because he now claims the show is not good for his children! That certainly was not the case when he was cashing in on it. So to put it in perspective, if he can’t have the money then he does not want Kate (or his children) to have it. All though this drama he has claimed he will do what is best for his children. Does this sound like someone who is actually doing that?
He sees the end coming to his pampered lifestyle and he will use any legal tactic to keep the money train going. Maybe getting a job is the answer here Jon. As they say, all good thing come to an end, and his bleak future is staring him right in the face.