Just a Guy, Pouting

I find it hard to believe that I'm a grown man and I still pout.

man pouting

Bruce Sallan: When my wife and I don't get along and our communication is in the toilet, I sulk, pout, and take all my toys and go hide in my cave. OK, maybe not all my toys, but you get the picture.

After all my time in therapy, all my time in my men's group, all the ups and downs of marriage, divorce, dating again, and getting married again, I still act like a little boy when my feelings are hurt.

I hate when I do that. It doesn't matter whether I'm right or wrong: I lose! Granted, I'm usually right, but it's the same as being in the crosswalk when a car comes barreling through and runs you down. You still lose. And, with my wife, or any woman for that matter, you can't run away. She/they are just built tougher and better able to withstand periods of silence and our pouting.

Eventually, I give in and start talking again, and maybe we fight a little and, usually, we make up. It often turns out to be a complete misunderstanding or misinterpretation of things said, so we both have lost during the time I was hiding out and she was being quiet as she's "processing" whatever it is that has occurred.

I can't help but think of Rex Harrison in "My Fair Lady," singing "Why Can't a Woman Be More Like a Man?" But what do I know, I'm just a guy.

next: Single Mom Sleeping Arrangements?
Denise September 12, 2009, 9:13 AM

Well Bruce, you pretty much sound like most men. We women are just more mature, more evolved, and all around better. You guys can lift things, thankfully. LOL. Love your blogs!

Aralene September 12, 2009, 12:07 PM

Men’s immaturity is nothing about men’s particularity. This is just a “process” of our time to kill the paternal/the hunter/macho figure of Men’s kind.

You choosen your way against what you saw and learned about other men’s, nothing to regret ^_^.

PostalDad September 12, 2009, 2:11 PM

Bruce, you are so correct. Women ARE tougher and better able to withstand periods of silence! For instance: A campfire setting far back in time. “So, whose gonna kill a Mammoth for dinner?” The women are smart enough to say absolutely nothing because sooner or later a man is going to get up and go try. I call that smart!! Oh, and women make the best spies. They let everyone think they are running the show, but in actuality the woman is. Pouting is just our way of throwing an tantrum. And everyone needs to do that from time to time.

PostalDad September 12, 2009, 2:51 PM

Oh yea,… Macho is a male mule. So when you’re calling someone macho, you are calling them half a jack@ss. LOL Just thought you should know.

Megan September 12, 2009, 5:43 PM

Well it’s good to know that pouting is a universal male thing. Kind of like spitting, fondling yourselves, collecting stuff and saving stuff etc etc. Oh the many wonders of a man! :)

Bruce Sallan September 12, 2009, 7:30 PM

Oh, Megan, I thought you were talking about female traits…lol!

shey September 12, 2009, 8:51 PM

ahaha megan…my husband is also a pouter! silences dont bother me at all he always caves! ;]

Scott September 13, 2009, 8:57 AM

It’s funny…there are very few things about myself that I dislike more than my tendency to sulk when I’m frustrated or angry…but I haven’t found any bad habit that has been harder to break. I am very grateful that after 30+ years of marriage, my wife usually knows just the right thing to say to snap me out of it and get me talking. I must also say that especially in the last 10 years, I am MUCH better about recognizing this behavior and either getting past it. Eventually, I will get over this character flaw.

Thanks, Bruce…another brave and insightful column.

Robin W. September 13, 2009, 11:48 AM

I pout just a much as my husband but I’m more open to talking. He’s such a guy. Love your viewpoint view. That farting blog cracked me up!

Gail  September 13, 2009, 11:53 AM

I find thoe gender differences endlessly fascinating and challenging. Your Just a Guy looking blog got me angry yet on reflection i couldn’t argue with its truth. You things up which is y i like your blog. Thanks

David  September 13, 2009, 7:03 PM

I take pride in the fact that normally I don’t allow my emotions to dictate my behavior. Usually, my mind overrules my heart. BUT, when I believe my wife has been insensitive to my feelings, that’s another story. I withdraw and pout. I don’t want to be this way. It’s a battle worth waging. I’ll be happy with small signs of progress.

David W. September 15, 2009, 6:56 PM

I get curt and crabby … is that the same as pouting?

Anonymous September 18, 2009, 9:51 AM

Are ya gonna pout if you don’t get more comments?

Bruce Sallan September 18, 2009, 12:12 PM

I love you “Anonymous” as you always have something nice to say and say it with the full courage and safety of anonymity. In case you don’t know what that means, it means you’re chicken-sh*&^t.

TED G September 23, 2009, 9:16 PM

That’s honesty. I think I pout sometimes too. But, in the end, I think out pout less than everyone else in my family. Can there be an award for that? There should be! And now, since there’s not…i want to pout.

Joel January 21, 2010, 8:13 PM

No, you are completely wrong Denise.
Not everyone is alike, I’ve met some pretty dumb women, and some smart as well.
I’ve met dumb men, and smart men as well.
It is a fact that men think more logically.
For instance, Me and my wife both work. Her a full-time waitress and bartender, I work part-time as a mover.
Me working part time, I get to see the 2 kids more often than she does, ok so what.
I clean, I cook, I take care of the house, I’m pretty much a house husband.
She can’t attend to these duties as often, seeing as she works full-time.
Well last night I cleaned everything, spotless, mopped floors, vaccumed, dusted, anything, you name it.
She got up this morning and cleaned again.
She needed to make me feel bad, she needed to give herself her own little world of satisfaction because she cleaned a house that wasn’t dirty.
Illogical, very illogical.
She constantly nags at me, when I did nothing wrong, please women, if you’re going to nag, make it worth our while.
I get no credit for tending to our home 24/7.
It’s not even credit I desire, All I want is a reason from her every time she goes on about something meaningless.
The worst part, is she questions and insults my ability to complete my daily routine of regulating the house and making sure it’s clean, without an apology after she realizes she was wrong about it.
It happens every time, it’s a never-ending cycle, why won’t she quit.
So no, Denise, I’m not going to reply with a sexist comment in reply to yours, but just remember, women have just as many flaws as men do, give or take some for each relationship and situation.
But the fact that I think more logically than you do, I do have that over you.

Alejandrina Leash December 2, 2010, 8:01 PM

I thought this was definitely a good and insightful piece of content. But I’m having difficulty getting your website to show properly for this opera browser, any kind of idea what could possibly be causing the problem..?

Hermine Kaemingk December 2, 2010, 8:15 PM

I can’t believe how much on this I didn’t understand. Thanks for giving out this information. I will be sure to return here to see if you have any fresh articles.

Sherly Gaiser December 3, 2010, 11:11 AM

Just like the old saying goes, inside the guru’s mind there are few possibilities, but for someone with a rookie’s brain, the world is wide open.

Theodora Steinhauer December 13, 2010, 10:56 PM

Not long ago i came upon this post and have been reading along. I thought I will drop my very first comment as it really caught my interests. I am going to drop back here regularly to check for new content.