Labor and Delivery, Starring Betty Draper

The childbirth scenes made me happy I had my kids in this decade!

mad men betty draper and don draper

Liesl Bradner: The Emmy-winning AMC hit "Mad Men" (featured today on "Oprah") is well regarded for its story lines that remain loyal and true to the clothing, trends, current events, and social attitudes of the early 1960s. It's the scenes displaying primordial parenting skills that cause many viewers to wince: Kids without seatbelts climbing in the front seat, playing with dry cleaner bags, little Sally sneaking sips of Daddy's martini, and all that second-hand smoke.

A recent episode centered around the birth of Betty and Don Draper's third child, which was a painful reminder of the birthing process (and lack of comfort) during that time. When Betty was wheeled into the labor room, a burly nurse abruptly stops Daddy Don and sternly tells him "Your job is done" (as if it ended at conception) and banished him to the "father's lounge," where he meets another dad-to-be with whom he shares a bottle of scotch whiskey. The first-time dad is kept in the dark about his wife's progress until a graduate from the Ratchet School of Nursing nonchalantly informs him that he has a son, he was breech, and his wife, who had a transfusion, "is recovering, as she lost a lot of blood."

In the next scene, Betty is informed that her regular doctor is unavailable, and to deal with her delivery. When asked if she'll be "giving the baby the breast," she quickly snaps "NO!" as if it was beneath her. Mind you, at this time in our past, many believed that breastfeeding was for the lower-income families that couldn't afford formula.

Betty is eventually knocked out in a Demerol-induced "twilight sleep," hallucinates, and wakes up with a baby in her arms.

Do you think husbands should return to the waiting room? Do they have a place in the labor room? Have we lost intimacy by revealing, uh, a little too much?

next: Mom Fights to Save Lives After Daughter Dies
Angelita Baugham February 18, 2011, 7:46 AM

Keep all the posts coming. I love reading through your articles. : ).

Terri Nottingham February 18, 2011, 9:06 AM

I was surprised just how much on this I just didn’t know. Appreciate your writing this post. I will be likely to return here to see if you have any brand-new information.

Sunday Searcey February 23, 2011, 6:28 AM

Recently i ran across your post and have really been reading along. I thought I would post my 1st comment as it genuinely caught my interest. I will check back again frequently to check for fresh information.

Altagracia Shelite March 1, 2011, 6:53 AM

Exceptionally noteworthy info. I am super fortunate that I actually located this web site by accident. I just book marked this XD

funny high school smile quotes March 8, 2011, 2:59 AM

Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever you can. As a peacemaker the lawyer has superior opportunity of being a good man. There will still be business enough.

real simple weddings checklist March 8, 2011, 6:16 AM

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them.

Lavern Igus March 12, 2011, 3:44 PM

I appreciate the effort you have made in publishing this information. In fact your post has me wanting to kickoff my own site now. Thanks again for taking the time to put this up.

Benito Bollard March 16, 2011, 12:20 PM

I’d have to make a deal with you on this. Which is not something I typically do! I love reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to speak my mind!

Rich Bollbach March 16, 2011, 2:18 PM

This weblog seems to get a large ammount of visitors. How do you get traffic to it? It gives a nice unique twist on things. I guess having something authentic or substantial to post about is the most important thing.

scrapebox rapid indexer March 29, 2011, 1:09 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

Roderick Scranton March 29, 2011, 5:35 PM

Well I definitely liked reading it. This information provided by you is very practical for proper planning.

Vernon Y. Dyer March 29, 2011, 7:20 PM

Valuable

Robin L. Blanton March 31, 2011, 4:13 AM

Very helpful

Sean E. Levy April 5, 2011, 2:30 PM

Hi everyone, - found out about your current website by accident when looking round the web this afternoon, and pleased that i did! I like the style and design and different shades, but I ought to mention that I’m having difficulties when it loads. I’m making use of WaMCom 1.3 browser for mac, and the menu wouldn’t line up correctly. i am confident I have used the equivalent layout on a company’s internet site, but the menu seems okay on mine. I think the problem is at my end & I guess it’s time to swap!

Carla A. Ward April 8, 2011, 4:30 AM

Many thanks

louis vuitton Handbags May 7, 2011, 1:10 PM

What a great story. I am trully glad. Keep writing amigo