Mackenzie Phillips: I Slept with My Own Father

Her new memoir is shocking.

mackenzie phillips raped by father john phillips

Mackenzie Phillips appears on "Oprah" today to tell all ... including how she slept with her own father.

In her tell-all book "High on Arrival," out today, the former "One Day at a Time" star says that she had a long-term incestuous relationship with her father, musician John Phillips, of the '60s band the Mamas and the Papas.

She says her father had sex with her on the night before she was to be married in 1979.

"On the eve of my wedding, my father showed up, determined to stop it," she writes. "I had tons of pills, and Dad had tons of everything too. Eventually I passed out on Dad's bed. My father was not a man with boundaries. He was full of love, and he was sick with drugs. I woke up that night from a blackout to find myself having sex with my own father. Had this happened before? I didn't know. All I can say is it was the first time I was aware of it. For a moment I was in my body, in that horrible truth, and then I slid back into a blackout."

She says in the months and years that followed, she got fired from her sitcom, went to rehab, and joined her father on tour. By that time, she says, her sexual relationship with him had become consensual.

"One night Dad said, 'We could just run away to a country where no one would look down on us. There are countries where this is an accepted practice. Maybe Fiji.' He was completely delusional. No, I thought, we're going to hell for this."

Her book hits bookstores today.

next: Getting In
cyndi September 23, 2009, 9:07 AM

While this is totally twisted and I feel sorry for her, I for sure wouldn’t be writing a book about it and going on oprah….

Anonymous September 23, 2009, 9:19 AM

ewww! consensual? Mental illness is a terrible thing.

ame i. September 23, 2009, 1:38 PM

I think I would keep my mouth shut, too. True, he supplied her with the first drugs she ever used, but the general public doesn’t need to hear everything.
She may just need the money.

Cheryl September 24, 2009, 7:32 AM

I saw this on Oprah yesterday, and I don’t know if this is just a stunt to sell a new book or the truth. If it is the truth, she should have let this die with her father. I don’t see how this can do anything but cause pain to the rest of her family. If it is just a ploy to get people to buy her book, it is really sick.

Anonymous September 24, 2009, 10:17 AM

are there any comments from her sisters?

Enfant forum March 5, 2011, 7:22 PM

An impressive share, I simply given this onto a colleague who was doing slightly evaluation on this. And he in reality purchased me breakfast as a result of I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! However yeah Thnkx for spending the time to debate this, I feel strongly about it and love studying more on this topic. If doable, as you become expertise, would you thoughts updating your weblog with extra particulars? It’s extremely useful for me. Huge thumb up for this weblog submit!