Michael Vick: High School Role Model?

Tuesday, Michael Vick talked to high school students and no one made a fuss about it. Meanwhile, the President of the United States gave a speech and parents were in an uproar. What's wrong with this picture?

Barack Obama, Michael Vick

Jay Brown: I almost couldn't believe it when I heard that Michael Vick was speaking to high school students Tuesday. I'd heard all the hoopla over parents pulling their kids out of school so they wouldn't have to hear Obama speak (outrageous!), yet there wasn't one news story about parents pulling kids out when a convict and national disgrace like Michael Vick is being invited into our schools!

Michael Vick, who served prison time for running a dogfighting ring, spoke at Nueva Esperanza Academy, a North Philadelphia charter school. He urged students to resist peer pressure.

"I didn't choose to go the right way, which led to 18 months in prison, which was the toughest time of my life," he said. "Being away from my family, being away from my kids who I adore dearly, and being away from the game of football, doing something so foolish, and I wish I could take it all back. I was influenced by so many people when I should have been a leader, not a follower."

He says he's not a leader? He's the quarterback of an NFL football team! Hello ... that's a leader!

Here's a guy who's not out of prison four months, and HE is talking to our kids? Don't fall to peer pressure -- what is he saying, that everyone else made him start this dogfighting ring? How about taking responsibility for your own actions?

Believe me, I like watching sports, and my son likes watching sports, but this is one speech I wouldn't let my kid hear at school!

All these kids are seeing is a football player they idolize, a tough guy who just got out of jail. Are they really going to think, "This is a guy who fell victim to peer pressure"? I don't think so!

It's just crazy that people pulled their kids out of school over the President of the United States, the leader of our country, whose message was telling children to stay in school, yet no one says a word about this guy?!

I once wrote a post about Manny Ramirez after he was busted for drugs, and how he let my kid down. I caught a lot of flack from people saying that athletes shouldn't be role models. Maybe they shouldn't be ... but in this country, they are, like it or not. Michael Vick had a responsibility as a role model, and he let kids down. Don't put him up in front of our kids at school, where they can just idolize him further!

You've got to question where we are as a country when we celebrate Michael Vick speaking to our kids but bristle when the president does the same. No matter if you're Democrat, Republican, or indifferent, something's definitely not right about that.

next: Katherine Heigl: Yes, We're Adopting
chris September 10, 2009, 3:48 AM

I also don’t like the fact that Michael Vick was in that school talking to kids but the truth of the matter is kids can probably relate better to him because he’s a sport figure than to the president. Not saying that is right but probably true. You have to wonder where morals are at these day when we hold some of the sports figures and/or celebrities (sp) in such high regards. The sad truth is that there really isn’t many people out there that are worthy of our children to respect. I say that as parents we need to be the biggest role models in of kids life.

Stacey-ann September 10, 2009, 7:11 AM

Well said!! I totally agree!…It’s very sad but very true.

Anonymous September 10, 2009, 7:51 AM

totally agree. a great point.

Stacy September 10, 2009, 7:56 AM

Actually, I want my child to know that if he/she makes a mistake, you must face a consequence; however, once they have had that consequence they may have another chance. Isn’t that the best message for our kids? No one likes what he did. However, he went to jail for 2 YEARS and now he is given a chance to redeem himself and be a better person, citizen and role model. A perfect example for my kids. Good luck Michael Vick!!

Lissalou September 10, 2009, 8:30 AM

Good call

Jason September 10, 2009, 9:28 AM

Make no mistake - Vick is sorry BECAUSE HE GOT CAUGHT. He’s a sociopath who tortured and murdered animals for fun; would you want this man anywhere near your kids?

ame i. September 10, 2009, 9:41 AM

I agree with Jason. Everyone’s sorry once they are caught. He proved he doesn’t give a damn about life, other than his own.

Anonymous September 10, 2009, 10:25 AM

Stacy, are you out of your mind. Getting a slap on the hand, a mere 18 months in jail, for KILLING animals and then returning right back to the luxury life he had before being caught is what your want your kids to learn. Wow, great parenting. Facing a consequence for KILLING animals would be having your life RUINED like you did to those poor animals. I can’t believe that school even let him speak there, they are just as much at fault as the ignorant people who didn’t let their children hear our presidents words, STAY IN SCHOOL. Those very same people just taught their childen the meaning of disrespect for the highest position held in the USA.

Read more: http://www.momlogic.com/comment-preview.php#ixzz0Qj2bQmFo

Lisa September 10, 2009, 4:40 PM

Very good article. Great point. Well stated.

Cesar September 10, 2009, 4:49 PM

This is the first I’m hearing about this and I can’t believe it! Peer pressure? What a joke! I believe in getting a second chance but actions speak louder than words. I’m not sure what it will take to convince me he is truly sorry for what he did (if anything). I’d feel better if he kept his speach appearance to non existent and volunteered and funded to animal cruelty organizations……

Luke September 12, 2009, 9:26 PM

role model a perfect example for my kids, you must be crazy, or someone is paying you to say that. Just remember to teach your kids when “they” do something wrong “they” won’t be given the same second chance. “They” will not get a job making millions, Unless they’re a sports star, movie star, etc. Stacey, I think people like you are what’s wrong with this country. BOO EAGLES, I’ll never watch you play ever again as long as I live.

Chris September 15, 2009, 12:32 PM

Vick got what he deserved, and served his time. People may disagree, fine. I think the punishment was fair, but that doesn’t make him a role model. Pro sports all have terrible policy on allowing criminals to play again. They should have a zero tolerance policy for crime. Me and my wife, and those we ALLOW to be near our kids are the only role models I can count on (sad).

dustin January 15, 2010, 6:45 AM

thatts bullshit he is a positive role model, and there is alot of diffrence between a dog and person. it wasnt right but he did the time, and now he is back and your gonna have to deal with it.