Mom Panhandles for Son's Tuition

Shelle Curley can't afford to send her son to the prestigious high school to which he was accepted. So she took matters into her own hands.

Mom Panhandles for Son's Tuition

A single mom in Bellevue, Washington, has been panhandling to help pay for her son's senior year at Idyllwild Performing Arts School. Her son D.J. was awarded a $45,000 scholarship, but Curley (who's unemployed) still fell short of the $53,000 per year tuition. That's when she hit the streets.

Shelle talked to momlogic about her out-of-the-box fund-raising methods.

ML: What made you decide to panhandle for money?

Shelle: Well, we were in a time crunch, and had to raise a certain amount of money by a certain time. I left my commission-only sales job of eight years back in April, and haven't been able to find a job since. In July, my son found out he was accepted to this school and was awarded this scholarship. I knew this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that I couldn't let slip away.

First, I tried Craigslist postings, candy sales, car washes -- anything I could think of to raise money. I tried applying for loans -- but since this is high school tuition, not college, there's not much available. I had ten days left to raise the initial $1,433 deposit, and my daughter said, "Why don't you go beg, Mom?" She was only kidding, but I thought it was a great idea.

ML: How did it feel out there panhandling the first day?

Shelle: At first, I tried to hide my face. I was embarrassed. But then I thought of the sacrifice he has made in dance -- the iced feet, the chiropractic visits, the ibuprofen, and I just held my head up high. He has worked so hard to get that scholarship. This is his senior year. This door is open now, but it might never be open again. They only take 15 new dancers a year. I have to do whatever I can do in my power to pay for this. I'm getting him there!

Other homeless people approached me and told me to get off the corner. I wouldn't budge though for ten days.

After a news story appeared about me on the ninth day, people were very abusive. They would roll down their windows, throw things at me, and call me "pathetic" and "lazy." It was really hurtful. But I knew I was doing this for my son, and that pulled me through.

ML: Has your son been into dancing his whole life?

Shelle: He has only been dancing a little over a year. He's always been involved in choir, drama, and cheerleading, but a year and a half ago, he took a hip-hop class. The teacher pulled me aside and said my son has an incredible gift, and he needed to be in every class the school offered. I was like, "Yeah, right." At my commission-only sales job, I had been routinely getting checks for $0.00, and I knew there was no way I could afford it. She said she was full-scholarship-ping him right there. She became his mentor. Soon, the performing arts school he's been accepted to found us. It's the best of its kind in the country. This is his shot at a college education and a scholarship. I am just so proud of my son and what he's accomplished.

ML: What is the financial situation now?

Shelle: We raised the first deposit of $1,433, and I raised $511 for gas and lodging to get up to the school for parent's weekend.

The next payments are due November 1, January 1, February 1, and March 1 -- $1,433 each. We have set up a website asking for donations. I am trying to find a great job, am still looking for grants and loans, and will continue to do fund-raising. I am also trying to sell my artwork on the side.

If we raise more than we need, my son would like to set up a scholarship for the Boys and Girls Club, for kids to study dance. He teaches a dance class there and loves the organization.

ML: What do you say to your critics?

Shelle: They don't know the full story. I'm not lazy or a freeloader, and neither is my son. We have just hit hard times and are doing whatever we can to raise the money so he can follow his dream. I will never give up on that.

next: Parents Sue Dunkin' Over Son's Hash Brown Burn
chris September 14, 2009, 3:57 AM

Even though I don’t think I could do this, I respect the fact that she is willing to do what it takes to help her son. Standing on a corner begging for money is certainly better than standing on a corner and selling her body.

Anonymous September 14, 2009, 5:25 AM

Hey, I stand on the street corner with my son and his baseball helmet to raise money so he can play baseball in Cooperstown this year. This is no different. We all try to do what we can to help our kids follow their dreams. I think that makes her a really dedicated mom.

redmum September 14, 2009, 9:44 AM

I think I would be too mortified to do this, but hard times call for hard actions, I think she’s great.

Melanie September 14, 2009, 12:41 PM

Good for her! If I had any extra money I would definetly help out. The sacrifice she is making for her son will change him forever and he will do great things.

RachelAZ September 14, 2009, 11:26 PM

If she wanted to send her son to such a ridiculously expensive HIGH SCHOOL, perhaps she shouldn’t have LEFT her job. No empathy from me!

Jennifer September 15, 2009, 11:54 AM

Way to go! Do what you can for your children’s best interest!

I put a donate button up on my website… Same thing, really! I do what I can with work… Mostly volunteer work, my health permits me from keeping a full time job… So we get creative and do what we can…

We all need a little support now and then. It takes a community to raise a child. Im sure she has done her part to help others, why cant people help her!!! Thanks for sharing.

Chuck September 15, 2009, 1:17 PM

Unbelievable. Apparently she will do anything, except get a job. This woman has no pride whatsoever.Just another panhandler standing on a corner.

Kathy September 17, 2009, 9:48 PM

I don’t mean to sound sarcastic or insensative, i’m merely inquiring incase I missed reading something but, what about the young man’s father helping? or is he deceased?

lilikindsli September 30, 2009, 9:13 PM

QxwLps I want to say - thank you for this!

Globals October 3, 2009, 12:11 AM

all good things

Romase October 3, 2009, 10:28 PM

site best

Gayle Wigelsworth December 2, 2010, 7:58 PM

It’s surprising just how much on this I didn’t understand. Thanks for writing this information. I am likely to come back right here to find out if you have any brand-new articles.

Bev Stych December 2, 2010, 8:19 PM

I was surprised exactly how much on this I just didn’t understand. Appreciate your posting this post. I’ll be sure to come back right here to check out if there’s any brand-new information.

Buy Facebook Likes December 9, 2010, 3:16 PM

Howdy, just came to this page from the search and I have to say it is really informative indeed, really needs to ranked a lot higher lol :) a lot better than the sites I had to go through to find this post!

Btw, I wanted to know what blogging platform are you running? I am pretty new to blogging, and I wanted to begin my very own blog soon.

Regards,

dieta daneza December 27, 2010, 5:30 AM

I have been scouring the google for this info and i wanted to say thanks to u for this post. BTW, just off topic, where can i download a version of this theme? – Regards

mammoth lakes vacation rentals January 8, 2011, 1:23 PM

I HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON, THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

Stacy Stracquatanio February 6, 2011, 8:16 AM

Well I definitely enjoyed studying it. This tip provided by you is very helpful for correct planning.

ranchhandbumpers org February 12, 2011, 11:44 PM

Every great advance in natural knowledge has involved the absolute rejection of authority.

modern shelf brackets February 13, 2011, 12:11 AM

Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter.

Cornell Bobbs February 15, 2011, 3:23 PM

I just want to mention I’m all new to blogging and site-building and honestly loved this web page. Likely I’m going to bookmark your site . You absolutely come with incredible posts. Thanks for revealing your website.